VOGONS

painting a Commodore 64

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 23, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As to what to do with a fancy-shmansy tarted up C64, well there are any number of things you stick in 1. I have several pentium mmx era sbcs, in fact the kind you mount on top of a floppy drive, like an Ampro LittleBoard. I don't suppose a mini-itx mobo would fit, don't really know. How you would find the space to power an lga 1700 i9 ... methinks that would be pushing things. But who knows.

Of course you could just repair the dead c64 mobo. I have a cartridge that helps facilitate repairs ... hopefully. I have 4 dead breadbins, at least 1 dead c64c, a dead vic, plus/4, and a severely gnarly c128. I do actually love the look of breadbins as is. But that darned c16 ... the 128 doesn't have any precedent to paint it so I'd leave it the way it is (unless it's real yellow-brown or orange yuck).

Reply 21 of 23, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, regarding application of paint to plastic, does scratching with sandpaper really accomplish anything? The way I see it all you're doing is creating furrows on the surface that are perpendicular to the surface, and not the desireable parallel direction if that makes any sense (probably doesn't).

Is there anyway of bead blasting plastic? They sell fime abrasives for air brush type guns. Would those abrasives wreck your airbrush? Am I making this too hard? I'm actually looking to prime/paint the bezel of a cheap atx case I have here. Will likely happen in the next week. I got Rustoleum and Krylon rattle cans here.

Reply 22 of 23, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-31, 09:45:
Interesting to learn that the Commodore Brotkasten was known as the breadbin in the English speaking world. Would have assumed […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote on 2022-03-31, 00:41:

I painted one once and thought it worked out OK, but that was a breadbin. Not sure what you've got there:

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/co … estore.1263561/

Interesting to learn that the Commodore Brotkasten was known as the breadbin in the English speaking world.
Would have assumed that was a German thing.
But what else are we supposed to call that thing?

Someone American comversed with a Germanic and heard them call it a brotkasten. Or vice versa. It doesn't really resemble a breadbin (specifically a loaf bin). You could stack 3 or 4 pitas inside 1 though.

I don't know how popular breadbins are still in the US. The "bin" it came.in was always sufficient storage in my household. I do see that bradbins as well as brotkastens are all the rage on places like etsy. I mean what can you not sell on etsy.