VOGONS

First post, by DaveDoc1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I am new here but not new to the world of Retro PC's

Many many years ago my family had a 486 machine manufactured by a UK based company called Time Computers. I am in the process of building myself a similar specification machine to that from my childhood. I have bought various components to get a system up and running (hopefully).

However, I am struggling to track down details of the Motherboard I have got which has a marking of md-4duv-ver 2.1 on it and has UMC chips on the board.

Below is a picture of the board that I have found, I would like to try and track down a user manual for this so I can make sure I set the Jumpers up correctly.

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/images1/1/ … de9acb5626e.jpg

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-04-04, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 26, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe this is the board: https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/640#downloads

(listing says MB-4DUVC, but the first photo there is labelled MD-4DUV-VER: 2.1. Looks like most jumper settings are shown on the silkscreen).

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-04-04, 19:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 26, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DaveDoc1984 wrote on 2022-04-03, 21:02:

Thanks, my only concern is have I potentially got a CPU that won't work? This board does have jumper settings for 486DX and DX4 but no mention of DX2 which I have bought a Intel 80486 DX2-66?

Yes it does, the CPU jumpers for a Intel DX2 are same as Intel DX and AMD DX2. Only if an SL cpu are they different and the voltages could be too.
For Intel DX2-66 use the 80486DX or AM486DX2 cpu settings, you will notice they are identical. Just be sure to set CPU volts to 5v as Intel DX2 are all 5v AFAIK.
There are some AMD DX2 that are 5v and some are 3.3v....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 26, by DaveDoc1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to ask another question but I am very confused. The motherboard Manual linked here makes reference to Jumpers that don't appear on my board at all e.g. I can't find any Jumpers marked up as J30, 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35.

Also the Silkscreen doesn't mention DX4 yet this manual does and gives jumper settings for it, does it support DX4 (if I was to get a DX4 CPU in the future) or no ?

Reply 6 of 26, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cool! That's the same board I have! Aquarius brand 😀

I can confirm the jumpers do match the link and it does work with almost any CPU you throw at it.
I've ran it with an SX, DX, DX2 (DX setting), DX2-SL (at 3v) DX4 (Intel and amd), 5x86 (amd and cyrix).
5x86 does display weird post strings (like SX-66) but it works flawlessly.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 7 of 26, by DaveDoc1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
waterbeesje wrote on 2022-04-07, 20:39:
Cool! That's the same board I have! Aquarius brand :) […]
Show full quote

Cool! That's the same board I have! Aquarius brand 😀

I can confirm the jumpers do match the link and it does work with almost any CPU you throw at it.
I've ran it with an SX, DX, DX2 (DX setting), DX2-SL (at 3v) DX4 (Intel and amd), 5x86 (amd and cyrix).
5x86 does display weird post strings (like SX-66) but it works flawlessly.

Thanks so a DX4 will work?

I can't find JP35 etc though?

Reply 8 of 26, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just had a closer look and it turns out there are differences between the DUV and DUVC where they shifted one of the two big jumper blocks by the CPU to make way for the voltage select jumpers. You can make them out in this photo of the DUVC: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KlEAAOSw0R9gRC49/s-l1600.jpg (looks like the design allows for either 30 or 72 pin RAM sockets).

So the jumper manual for DUVC won't be a lot of help. There may still be some options for voltage selection. Look for connections between any of the blue resistors, the jumper pins and the voltage regulator. In the photos of the DUV version it looks like there are 3 blue resistors, which are higher precision than the usual resistors and often used for setting the output voltage of an adjustable regulator.

Reply 12 of 26, by DaveDoc1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Figured it out. The same Voltage Jumpers referenced in the DUVC manual appear to set the VCC to the CPU to 3.3v on my DUV board so that is good.

Just now need to know which other jumper settings to set for a DX4.

Reply 13 of 26, by DaveDoc1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So figured out the DX4 settings and its working. Shows DX4-S on boot up and 100MHZ

Next question, where on earth do I connect a CMOS Battery? There is nothing onboard (no battery compartment or terminals) so how would I do this?

Reply 14 of 26, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveDoc1984 wrote on 2022-04-11, 13:06:

So figured out the DX4 settings and its working. Shows DX4-S on boot up and 100MHZ

Next question, where on earth do I connect a CMOS Battery? There is nothing onboard (no battery compartment or terminals) so how would I do this?

Your motherboard photo, pls. Link in your first post is “forbidden”(((

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 15 of 26, by DaveDoc1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have just clicked that link and it took me straight to the photo?

Attachments

• MB4-DUV.jpg
    Filename
    MB4-DUV.jpg
    File size
    196.27 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Motherboard Battery Area
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 26, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) internal battery socket place
2) external battery pins

Attachments

Reply 17 of 26, by DaveDoc1984

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have run into a bit of an issue which I think is Cache Related (External rather than Internal CPU Cache).

The motherboard has a Bank 0 and Bank 1 of Cache. Bank 0 is the only set that is populated as well as the TAG.

All slots in Bank 0 have W24257AK-15 Chips in them and Bank 1 is completely empty.

I have set the jumpers to reflect that only Bank 0 is populated and from the Spec sheet of the Chips its 32k x 8 so 256K? I have set my jumpers to reflect this but the machine will start to initially boot the OS and will halt a few seconds in. If I DISABLE External Cache, the machine then works fine. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Could 1 or more of the Cache chips be faulty?

Reply 18 of 26, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveDoc1984 wrote on 2022-04-12, 09:46:
I have run into a bit of an issue which I think is Cache Related (External rather than Internal CPU Cache). […]
Show full quote

I have run into a bit of an issue which I think is Cache Related (External rather than Internal CPU Cache).

The motherboard has a Bank 0 and Bank 1 of Cache. Bank 0 is the only set that is populated as well as the TAG.

All slots in Bank 0 have W24257AK-15 Chips in them and Bank 1 is completely empty.

I have set the jumpers to reflect that only Bank 0 is populated and from the Spec sheet of the Chips its 32k x 8 so 256K? I have set my jumpers to reflect this but the machine will start to initially boot the OS and will halt a few seconds in. If I DISABLE External Cache, the machine then works fine. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Could 1 or more of the Cache chips be faulty?

Photo pls!