VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2022-06-04, 10:22:

magimanred, during install of windows 2000 you can press F5, at some point... I don't think it's indicated... might be when the press F6 for driver disk is displayed..., which will allow you to select a different HAL, Hardware Abstraction Layer, to be used for your w2k install. Try selecting Standard PC, or MPS uniprocessor PC, anything aside from ACPI or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface.

heck, it's the same as the last message in that arstechnica link you posted.

Haha yes... I will def try that.

Has been a hectic weekend... Was secretly hoping that someone had some way to do this without a re-install... but I'm def not opposed to re-installing 😀

Will likely report back tomorrow! Fingers crossed...

Reply 21 of 22, by magicmanred

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings all!

Reporting back with the news!

Problem has been solved with the method that many of you have mentioned and directed me to!

Method:
I went ahead and formatted my Win2K Partition and re-installed Windows.
This time around, I hit the F5 key repeatedly when the message comes up saying "Press F6 to install third party RAID/SCSI drivers" or something like that.
After a few moments, I was prompted with a choice to where I selected "Standard PC".

Once Windows was done installing... first thing I did was install CPU-Z and sure enough, the full 600+ Mhz.

If there is any way to do this without re-installing, feel free to chime in.
I didn't have any attachment to my Windows 2k install, so I was fine with wiping and starting fresh since this Retro PC I'm using this on has about 5-6 OS's on it via System Commander 8.

Thank you all!
Cheers!

Reply 22 of 22, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is supposedly a way, some website I read once described it, but reinstalling is easier 🤣.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)