VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 47, by dunzdeck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2022-11-03, 14:46:

Nox - Westwood gave it a lot of atmosphere despite an isometric view.

Morrowind plus addons - I can't be the only one that was impressed.

Morrowind, heck yes, that's my answer to this thread!

Reply 42 of 47, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote on 2022-11-03, 06:13:

I thought Far Cry had a very pretty environment for it's time. The bright green trees, the blue water and the white sandy beaches made for some nice scenery.

Yes rushing home from work with Far Cry tucked in my bag and finding out that the box art wasn't kidding was a happy gaming moment for me.

The world of Gothic is my favourite game environment, particularly G2.

Attachments

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 43 of 47, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote on 2022-11-04, 02:10:

The world of Gothic is my favourite game environment, particularly G2.

Indeed. People mentioned "going for a vacation" in their favorite games earlier in this thread, and that's how I feel every time I play through the Gothic/Risen series.

In particular, Onar's farm and its surroundings in Gothic 2 and the Harbor City in Risen are my favorite spots to just take a stroll and relax. Beautifully crafted maps with some amazing music playing in the background.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 44 of 47, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shadow Man blew my mind back in 1999. The first time I went to the world of the undead and I saw those big gates made of bones and the massive, dark cathedral looming over them...just wow.

Darkside looks amazing, even more so today with the HD remaster made by Nightdive Studios.

shadow-man.large.jpg
Filename
shadow-man.large.jpg
File size
262.92 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
shadow-man.large (3).jpg
Filename
shadow-man.large (3).jpg
File size
280.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
shadow-man.large (2).jpg
Filename
shadow-man.large (2).jpg
File size
391.85 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
shadow-man.large (1).jpg
Filename
shadow-man.large (1).jpg
File size
150.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
vstrakh wrote on 2022-11-01, 19:42:

For me it's Anachronox. The great storytelling, music, voice acting, locations carrying emotional imprint.

I played this game for the first time about one or two years ago. The characters are all so likeable and it's full of creativity and great stories.
Very sad that it never got a sequel. The game is very well made, but also quite unfinished when it comes to the combat (with missing animations etc.).

Anachronox is one of those games you play once and then never stop thinking about them, because they build worlds full of interesting stories that you keep in the back of your head.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 45 of 47, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember thinking the final boss battle in Anachronox was really cool because it was based off of a mini game you played throughout the campaign. I thought it was a very neat touch.

Reply 46 of 47, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another two games:
- Crusader: No Remorse: Almost everything can explode. Also, the environment is very detailed.
- Serious Sam HD The First Encounter: I have that game. I hate games that base their difficulty in launching waves and waves of enemies. But I must say that the environments are top notch. The walls, the paintings, the statues, the lightning... everything is awesome, but the main fault is that you don't have time to look at it.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 47 of 47, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2022-11-03, 14:46:

Morrowind plus addons - I can't be the only one that was impressed.

Agree about Morrowind.

I remember originally playing Daggerfall and just running off into the wilderness wishing for a dynamic, exploratory environment. Unfortunately the lack of handcrafting in Daggerfall meant everything got real same-y, real fast.

Morrowind (even vanilla) felt more like a real environment since everything was meticulously handcrafted. I still remember coming upon the different villages in that game and feeling like I was in a real medieval fantasy world.

Adding in some of the later mods and pushing the view distance really made things come alive. No wonder I played that game for 8 years straight.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards