VOGONS

Where can I find older AT Cases?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 71, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PARKE wrote on 2023-03-07, 12:03:
Another way to make a hole is with the type of bit below. Make a dent in the middle of where you want the hole. Strap the plate […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-06, 21:18:
ptr1ck wrote on 2023-03-06, 21:12:

A typical hole saw has too large of teeth and will probably wreck the shield unless you use a press. I would recommend a punch or cutting it with snips after you get a small starter hole.

Yeah the best type on metal are the adjustable ones with a two "teeth" or cutters or whatever you want to cal them, but there's maybe not room. Actually from a Princess Auto you might find a stepped hole enlarging bit that will go from 3/8 to keyboard size. Forgot what they're called.

Another way to make a hole is with the type of bit below. Make a dent in the middle of where you want the hole. Strap the plate to a piece of wood and grind away until you have the right size. Do it slowly or the metal will turn blue because of heat.
slijp2.jpg
IO.jpg

That's creative ,thnx .(good idea). I turned my AT into ATX, so now I have to mount a plexiglass where the 2nd PSU can mount and backplate... (On my 486)

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 41 of 71, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-09, 12:09:

That's creative ,thnx .(good idea). I turned my AT into ATX, so now I have to mount a plexiglass where the 2nd PSU can mount and backplate... (On my 486)

I've got an old AT tower that has plenty of dings and tents and rust.

I'd really like to put a new gloss coat of paint on it, cut out a clear window on the side, put some ground effect LED lights under the motherboard, and 3d print a front panel that holds a USB hub and a 2" OLED display that shows the CPU temp & switches between 133 and 160 when I hit the turbo button.

but that might have to wait until I retire from the day job though.

Reply 42 of 71, by original_meusli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-07, 04:43:

I'm honestly surprised that none of the big manufacturers have put out a modern retro case. When I built my current PC in 2019 I desperately wanted a modern retro-looking case, but the closest I could find that was actually a good case was the Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C. I got it in white with a solid side panel and I like it... but that was four years ago and I'm amazed that there aren't retro-looking cases out there yet.

Well last year a UK company called Overclockers UK ran an Aprils fools gag, but I really wanted it to be true. Check out this page and tell me it doesn't look cool.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/reboot

Attachments

Reply 43 of 71, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
original_meusli wrote on 2023-03-09, 14:58:
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-07, 04:43:

I'm honestly surprised that none of the big manufacturers have put out a modern retro case. When I built my current PC in 2019 I desperately wanted a modern retro-looking case, but the closest I could find that was actually a good case was the Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C. I got it in white with a solid side panel and I like it... but that was four years ago and I'm amazed that there aren't retro-looking cases out there yet.

Well last year a UK company called Overclockers UK ran an Aprils fools gag, but I really wanted it to be true. Check out this page and tell me it doesn't look cool.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/reboot

Bah... what a missed opportunity. 🤣

I do wonder if anyone will ever make a "retro" display once other technologies have caught up to CRTs. At this point in time, nothing can really replicate a CRT's motion clarity or resolution + refresh rate flexibility, so purists will still have reasons to use them for retro gaming. If we ever get to where an OLED or MicroLED display can have a massive resolution in a 4:3 aspect ratio (to fully simulate the look of a CRT) with extremely high refresh rates and some kind of scanning black frame insertion to simulate CRT motion-clarity, I would love to see one actually produced in beige with a big chunky mechanical power button. Maybe even with a big box on the back for... whatever. Putting a PC in there, or just storage or something. 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 44 of 71, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2023-03-09, 19:47:

I do wonder if anyone will ever make a "retro" display once other technologies have caught up to CRTs. At this point in time, nothing can really replicate a CRT's motion clarity or resolution + refresh rate flexibility, so purists will still have reasons to use them for retro gaming. If we ever get to where an OLED or MicroLED display can have a massive resolution in a 4:3 aspect ratio (to fully simulate the look of a CRT) with extremely high refresh rates and some kind of scanning black frame insertion to simulate CRT motion-clarity, I would love to see one actually produced in beige with a big chunky mechanical power button. Maybe even with a big box on the back for... whatever. Putting a PC in there, or just storage or something. 😁

Hey Guys! It's Phil on that exact subject--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEqinYQ0RtI

He thinks an 8K monitor should be able to do it pretty well

Reply 45 of 71, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FYI if you find something the right shape and want it "less black" or haven't got time to do a super good paint job, then Dollar Tree has been having self adhesive vinyl come in in several widths, I might be remembering wrong but 1", 2" 4" and 12" was what I saw, but the local crafters etc fell on it real quick and I am not sure if it's gonna be a long term line or was one of those opportunist buys they get for a short period. Anyhoo, there was a polar/glacier white, but I thought I saw a cream color too.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 46 of 71, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-09, 20:06:

FYI if you find something the right shape and want it "less black" or haven't got time to do a super good paint job, then Dollar Tree has been having self adhesive vinyl come in in several widths, I might be remembering wrong but 1", 2" 4" and 12" was what I saw, but the local crafters etc fell on it real quick and I am not sure if it's gonna be a long term line or was one of those opportunist buys they get for a short period. Anyhoo, there was a polar/glacier white, but I thought I saw a cream color too.

Interesting idea! I'd never considered doing vinyl wrap on a PC. 😁

Reply 47 of 71, by ediflorianUS

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
douglar wrote on 2023-03-09, 14:02:
I've got an old AT tower that has plenty of dings and tents and rust. […]
Show full quote
ediflorianUS wrote on 2023-03-09, 12:09:

I've got an old AT tower that has plenty of dings and tents and rust.

I'd really like to put a new gloss coat of paint on it, cut out a clear window on the side, put some ground effect LED lights under the motherboard, and 3d print a front panel that holds a USB hub and a 2" OLED display that shows the CPU temp & switches between 133 and 160 when I hit the turbo button.

but that might have to wait until I retire from the day job though.

don't ruin it , just paint it white or peroxide the yellow suff. (vintage is now gold and new led stuff is norm , so if you want stuff like that buy ready made new stuff).

My 80486-S i66 Project

Reply 48 of 71, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'd say best bet is to find a complete 386 or 486 and gut it. 'untested' or 'broken for parts' could save you a few bucks. but yes its hard to find AT style cases nowadays.

on a separate note - has anyone tried appliance touch-up paint on a PC case? i dont have the means to fully repaint.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 49 of 71, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's peoples thoughts about AT cases missing the cover? These come up from time to time here (I myself picked up a PC last year with he cover missing)
Only once have I seen someone mention going to a metalworker and getting a new cover made.

Reply 50 of 71, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's something I would probably grab if I came across it. Maybe give it a sheet ductwork metal cover if nothing else. The fiddly part with cases is the motherboard tray and slot bracket spacing/relationship, if you can get something or anything in which that exists, partial cases, test frames, then throwing a box around the rest is kinda trivial.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 51 of 71, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2023-03-13, 10:58:

What's peoples thoughts about AT cases missing the cover? These come up from time to time here (I myself picked up a PC last year with he cover missing)
Only once have I seen someone mention going to a metalworker and getting a new cover made.

I'd first try to replace it with a metal cover from another case. It's not uncommon to find AT cases with damaged plastic fronts, so combining parts from multiple broken cases can result in a singular restored case.

Fabricating a replacement case cover out of metal is always an option, but it also might be fun to try other materials.

I've thought about doing a proper woodgrain case out of actual wood. Or possibly building a case out of MDF with a laminate surface.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2023-03-13, 17:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 52 of 71, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-13, 14:19:

That's something I would probably grab if I came across it. Maybe give it a sheet ductwork metal cover if nothing else. The fiddly part with cases is the motherboard tray and slot bracket spacing/relationship, if you can get something or anything in which that exists, partial cases, test frames, then throwing a box around the rest is kinda trivial.

ductwork / sheetmetal is SHARP, so be careful if you wanna try this 😀

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 53 of 71, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-03-13, 14:19:

The fiddly part with cases is the motherboard tray and slot bracket spacing/relationship, if you can get something or anything in which that exists, partial cases, test frames, then throwing a box around the rest is kinda trivial.

This may have been mentioned already, and I haven't really looked into this, but what about a GPU crypto mining rack? I would imagine that there are tons of those available of various sizes. Maybe one of those could be modified and cut down a bit to act as a motherboard tray.

Reply 55 of 71, by original_meusli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found this site, but they have none left. 🙁

http://www.evercase.co.uk/index.php?route=pro … ategory&path=63

Then I found this, but you need a large wallet...

https://classiccomputershop.eu/Webwinkel-Prod … ium-DOS-PC.html

Reply 57 of 71, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
original_meusli wrote on 2023-03-14, 15:33:

Then I found this, but you need a large wallet...

https://classiccomputershop.eu/Webwinkel-Prod … ium-DOS-PC.html

Yikes, that is pricey! It would be cheaper to just buy a complete 386 or 486 system off of Ebay.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 58 of 71, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A hint... Don't limit your search to AT cases.
What else could have used AT cases but not been sold as a computer?

I recently got a unit from work and found that the case also has standoff mounting for AT motherboards.

Found a couple more on eBay for cheap-ish (compete systems).

I've decided that some of the AT cases I have I really don't care for and will probably sell, but they are also fill systems so they won't be going for cheap, especially since at least a couple of them are branded with original parts.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 59 of 71, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

10 years ago, the Asian companies - not the big names - were making new retro-style PC desktop cases that matched the 80s and 90s cases. Then the market shifted to laptops and gaming desktop cases, so regular cases pretty much disappeared.