VOGONS

adding free space to z:

Topic actions

First post, by jamos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there anyway how? I am trying to install a game that doesnt like z: having no space available (it scans all harddrives).

Thanks..

Reply 1 of 14, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

more space can be added in configfile me guess..

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 2 of 14, by jamos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Z: drive is automatically added by dosbox for its files. There is no entry in the config file.

Reply 3 of 14, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

if you mount another drive dosbox will not explode 😀

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 4 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, and how you did the install.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 14, by jamos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am sorry but I know how to run dosbox. I know how to mount drives etc.
My problem is the game installation sees the Z: drive as well as my mounted c: and d: drive and the Z: drive has 0 freespace. I was hoping there was a way to set z to more freespace just so the game would install.

Reply 6 of 14, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The name of the game?

Reply 7 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe try setting LASTDRIVE before running the game?

C:> set LASTDRIVE=D

Reply 8 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Crazy thought.... Could this kind of detection problem be avoided if the Z-drive was somehw "marked" as a diskette drive, or a CD-ROM?

Reply 9 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think adding space to Z: would help even if you could, because then it might think it could actually write to it. Why it wants Z: to have free space when C: is available is the clue I would start with. Perhaps it doesn't think C: has adequate space, so using the -freesize mount option to make it larger might help. Also, it's possible that because it can see another HD, it wants to use it as a swap location or something; so assuming the D: drive is a CD, mounting an E: drive as another HD might satisfy it... not likely, but maybe.

BTW, I believe LASTDRIVE= is set in CONFIG.SYS, and is not an environment variable.

Reply 10 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bet it's the cracked version of Z he's having problem with. Others had a similiar problem with it in DOSBox in the past here.

Possibly I'm wrong, though 😜

Reply 11 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Z does not ever seek Z: for any reason

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Z does not ever seek Z: for any reason

Not the normal version, no. But there has been discussions about the cracked Z in the past. In more threads than that too, but it was the first I found.

Reply 13 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, that's retarded.
Buy the game btw! The game's main charm is in its humorous cutscenes.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 14 of 14, by Enigmar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive had issues with Z on dosbox before (but using the actual Z disk) Z runs fine on my desktop, but on my laptop it thinks its a pirated copy, even though both are using the actual CD. Even when mounting the same network share for the C drive.

Must run dosbox on windows 3.1 within dosbox......