VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jamos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there anyway how? I am trying to install a game that doesnt like z: having no space available (it scans all harddrives).

Thanks..

Reply 4 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, and how you did the install.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 14, by jamos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am sorry but I know how to run dosbox. I know how to mount drives etc.
My problem is the game installation sees the Z: drive as well as my mounted c: and d: drive and the Z: drive has 0 freespace. I was hoping there was a way to set z to more freespace just so the game would install.

Reply 7 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Maybe try setting LASTDRIVE before running the game?

C:> set LASTDRIVE=D

Reply 8 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Crazy thought.... Could this kind of detection problem be avoided if the Z-drive was somehw "marked" as a diskette drive, or a CD-ROM?

Reply 9 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't think adding space to Z: would help even if you could, because then it might think it could actually write to it. Why it wants Z: to have free space when C: is available is the clue I would start with. Perhaps it doesn't think C: has adequate space, so using the -freesize mount option to make it larger might help. Also, it's possible that because it can see another HD, it wants to use it as a swap location or something; so assuming the D: drive is a CD, mounting an E: drive as another HD might satisfy it... not likely, but maybe.

BTW, I believe LASTDRIVE= is set in CONFIG.SYS, and is not an environment variable.

Reply 10 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bet it's the cracked version of Z he's having problem with. Others had a similiar problem with it in DOSBox in the past here.

Possibly I'm wrong, though 😜

Reply 12 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

Z does not ever seek Z: for any reason

Not the normal version, no. But there has been discussions about the cracked Z in the past. In more threads than that too, but it was the first I found.

Reply 14 of 14, by Enigmar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ive had issues with Z on dosbox before (but using the actual Z disk) Z runs fine on my desktop, but on my laptop it thinks its a pirated copy, even though both are using the actual CD. Even when mounting the same network share for the C drive.

Must run dosbox on windows 3.1 within dosbox......