VOGONS

Common searches

Crop window?

Topic actions

First post, by ezzetabi2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Me and a friend of mine are playing again old adventures.

Now it is time for Zork Nemesis; it works fine in dosbos.

But the game was made with a 16:10 aspect ratio. To compensate there is a black border under and over the game area.

Now I do have a 16:10 monitor and it a pity to have four black borders all around the game area.

So I was wondering, is there a way to tell dosbox to crop the output video area? I can mess with the source if needed.

Thanks

Last edited by ezzetabi2 on 2012-03-11, 10:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a 1996 game and I doubt it's made for 16:10.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Did you read the conf?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 6, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I would guess sdlmain.cpp, where the various types of drawing surfaces are created. Maybe look at SDL docs for what is possible. You may also want to limit the mouse range to be inside the viewable region, or you could lose sight of where the pointer is in the cropped-off border area.

Reply 6 of 6, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

It's a 1996 game and I doubt it's made for 16:10.

The game is actually limited to a ~16:10 window (512x320 within 640x480). Refer
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/zork-ne … nds/screenshots

Also, here's a prior post concerned with the black bars in the game...
Zork Nemesis

My guess would be that such was due to the game using a good amount of video and something akin to Quicktime VR (i.e. 360 degree images), and needing to squeeze it down to fit on 3 CDs. It also uses scan-lines in this video.

Regarding a means to resize the image, I'd guess that it may be easier to work out a shader to scale things up with one of the DOSBox revisions that have Direct3d/shader support.

On this subject, I find the 2xSaLAA, 4xSaL shaders do a good job of cleaning up FMV games that use alternate row scan-lines (though I'm having trouble locating my source for them). Still hoping for a shader that would clean up triple row scanline things (i.e. typically rgb scanlines used to simulate higher bit color ranges with 8b)