VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm aware that DOSBOX is the shiznit for probably 95% plus of all older DOS games, i'm just curious from those more familiar with possible limitations that it may have, what things does it not do perfectly and is probably unlikely to do in the future?

For instance, the only issue I know of offhand is that I heard it doesn't emulate Adlib Gold sound perfectly - games like Dune 2 or CIA will sound better on a real retro PC with that card if you have one, i've heard those are the only two games accessing the chip directly and since it's "almost as good" on other supported cards like soundblaster, it wont be implemented because the game with music is fully playable. Just possibly not at the absolute pinnacle of perfection. 😀

Do people consider the soundblaster emulation perfect? Roland MT-32 emulation perfect? Gravis Ultrasound? Are there any other obscure sound cards or configurations not implemented and not planned to be supported? (I heard of a dual gravis ultrasound mode used for some demos, I don't know whether games ever supported that though.)

Are there games which for some reason don't run perfectly and have a good chance of not being fixed at all due to some reason like very low interest, very obscure existance, and very difficult to fix? This isn't a gripe thread, this is rather a research thread "if you like X game consider building a retroPC to play it".

I'm aware DOSBOX isn't made for running old applications - and I would assume then it might well have problems with demos as well especially with the precise timing and such often needed.

Reply 1 of 20, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Dosbox does NOT emulate a MT32. There is an unofficial build that uses another project to emulate a mt32

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 20, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's still lot's to do...
-Gravis emulation is lacking, as I believe only the Gravis Ultrasound is emulated but not the Gravis Ultrasound Max, so 22khz sound only for GUS.
-3dfx emulation still has a ways to go.
-Some older SVGA setups can be better emulated, for instance the screen saver Rave fails to run /w Paradise in high res modes (even with video mem set beyond the default, I keep trying to reproduce my old 2MB Paradise card). LineWars II is a game title that has issues with the older SVGA support, though I think there are some patches that partially correct it.
-A wide variety of games still fail for various reasons. Refer: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=broken (revised to not indicate "Town with No Name" as broken)
-A number of games, though they run, have various significant issues, refer: http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=runnable
-Multi-disk games in the current release version can be difficult/impossible to run/install as swapping disks can be difficult. However, this has been rectified in recent SVN versions to support swapping similar to CDs.
-Pro-audio Spectrum is not emulated. Not sure there's any game that only supports such, without providing support for another supported card.
-Covox emulation is hit or miss. The current Disney Sound Source emulation is not compatible with all Covox games.

Last edited by kolano on 2013-02-09, 21:08. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 3 of 20, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

A wide variety of games still fail for various reasons, for instance "Town with No Name".

Not the best example. A fix for Town With No Name, and Psycho Killer by same developer, was put into SVN almost two years ago (revision 3682). Only works with IMGMOUNT, though.

Reply 4 of 20, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

A wide variety of games still fail for various reasons, for instance "Town with No Name".

Not the best example. A fix for Town With No Name, and Psycho Killer by same developer, was put into SVN almost two years ago (revision 3682). Only works with IMGMOUNT, though.

Hrm, now that I try again, you're right. It's been a while since I tried to get "Town with No Name" running. Looking forward to a release version that includes these fixes. In any case, outside of "Town with No Name", there still seems to be a good number of broken games.

Dual Gravis support is another good example of missing functionality. You are right that there are still numerous issues with various Demoscene productions. This thread, covers a number of issues/fixes.

Reply 7 of 20, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EMU8000 - Eradicator (3D-positional effects), Dungeon Keeper and Magic Carpet 2 (SoundFont support), Zone Raiders, Tyrian, and Pyrotechnica (AWE-optimized soundtracks)

Creative CSP/ASP - TFX (QSound)

PWM through the SN76496 (or OPL) cores...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8_z_CI37JE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2N7VLF0ZQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2A8GbsKcYQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_j_0nbff28

Reply 8 of 20, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One other bit of old DOS tech we fail to emulate would be MPEG decoder cards. There are a variety of ReelMagic games we can't play, and likely a few titles from similar less popular MPEG decoders.

Reply 9 of 20, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many of these examples only function with very marginal games.

GUS Max emulation really means emulating a Windows Sound Standard chipset, and I can't think of a game that will support WSS or GUS Max that does not support SB16.

DOSBox has never supported AWE32 or ASP/CSP, so according to the topic this functionality does not apply.

ReelMagic support seems limited mostly to demos.

With SN76496 and OPL PWM playback, also add SAA-1099.

DOSBox does not emulate Adlib Gold at all, so you will have to settle for Sound Blaster for Dune and KGB. Only Dune really seems to take advantage of the Gold.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 20, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

DOSBox has never supported AWE32 or ASP/CSP, so according to the topic this functionality does not apply.

They've been mentioned for the sake of the "probably unlikely to do in the future" bit.

Reply 11 of 20, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Great Hierophant wrote:

GUS Max emulation really means emulating a Windows Sound Standard chipset, and I can't think of a game that will support WSS or GUS Max that does not support SB16.

The question would be do they support SB16+MT32 or SB16+GM. The primary reason for selecting GUS sound is to get better music. I'd like to be able to get GUS music and 16bit audio support, which doesn't always seem to be possible (away from my games collection at the moment, so I can't provide specific examples).

Reply 12 of 20, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have found no such problems when mixing and matching sound sources. Except on games that won't allow it (Rise of the Dragon and some early SCI titles come to mind, but there are fixes for those, search this forum).

Reply 13 of 20, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Besides 3dfx no other 3d accelerators are supported.
Of course most games that support any 3d acceleration support at least 3dfx but there are some noticeable exceptions. My favorite example is Terminal Velocity which only has S3D support - the sole reason I got myself a ViRGE GX from Ebay.

Reply 15 of 20, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least one other area of games hardware DOSBox doesn't yet support would be the various 3d glasses setups, such as Cybershades 3d as covered by LGR here...
http://retrowaretv.com/lazy-game-reviews-cybe … des-3d-glasses/
...would be nice to output such to formats compatible with modern 3d TVs (i.e. HSBS/HOU).

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 18 of 20, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Great Hierophant wrote:

Cloudschatze wrote:
Great Hierophant wrote:

They've been mentioned for the sake of the "probably unlikely to do in the future" bit.

It applies for not being emulated at all, is there a handy list anywhere of "this will probably never be implemented/not a devteam interest"? One of the purposes for my asking is to build up a shopping list - if there's a game important enough but the hardware of it's "best version" wont work in DOSBOX, then it means trying to find the hardware to do it right.

Just because a game supports hardware X (lets say pro audio spectrum 16) so long as it supports some other hardware fully capable of the same quality (i assume soundblaster 16) it's not important, unless that game only supported say tandy 3 voice and pro audio spectrum 16 - then it suddenly enables a level of playback quality that wasn't an option before. Dune and KGB on the Adlib Gold stand out as an example, i'm just curious if besides the Gold there are any other games supporting orphan hardware in that category. (which played exceptionally on some non-soundblaster/non-adlib/non-roland hardware, yet which remains unemulated or poorly so on DOSBOX)

Reply 19 of 20, by Norton Commander

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pro Audio Spectrum emulation is not worth implementing in DOSBOX IMHO. I had one and the only reason I bought it was because it was a cheaper clone of SB 16. Few games or demos natively supported PAS and those that did offered same sound quality as SB. Its one saving grace was excellent SB emulation which is why I kept it until I got an AWE32.