VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you set the sampling rate in DOSbox does that fix the sampling rate for both mono and stereo audio streams?

I found an interesting web site here http://sox.sourceforge.net/AudioFormats-5.html

that says the SB Pro does 44.1k in mono and 22k in stereo. For those running computer operating on the edge of sputtering this is an important issue.

Does anyone know the sampling rate on the original soundblaster?

Reply 1 of 6, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As far as I know, the standard for DOS applications on original Sound Blaster cards, especially games, is 22050 Hz, Mono, 8/16 bit. depends on the type of the card. I have an original Sound Blaster 16 PnP on my 486, it is the last type of cards made back then, and I have no problem at all running apps and games on 16 bit. Hope I could help you on that. Laterz...

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 3 of 6, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Sound Blaster Pro play stereo in 22khz. The Sound Blaster 16 was the first Sound Blaster that could play stereo in 44khz. So you have to wait until the SB16 is fully emulated by DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 6, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The other question here is, "What does the DOSbox setting mean?"

Does it mean mono or stereo at the configured sampling rate? Stereo at the configured sampling rate and mono at twice that?

Reply 5 of 6, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It means what the output of DOSBox will be. So if a sound plays in 22khz internally, it then will be converted into whatever your DOSBox option is before it's actually played.