VOGONS

First post, by Ashir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys, I'm playing 4x4 Off-Road Racing (from Epyx) and everything it's fine until I have to make a repair, then when I select the repair icon the game freeze.

I'm the only one having this issue?, does anyone know how to fix it?, I try to change cpu, memory, video, keyboard and sound options with no avail...

Thanks in advance for the help.

My sys:

eVGA X58 SLI FTW3
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.6 GHz
12 GB DD3 @ 1600 MHz
eVGA Geforce GTS 250 1 GB VRAM
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

I'm using DosBox 0.74 with D-Fend Reloaded 1.3.2

Reply 2 of 8, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm this issue, and I find a bit odd that the issue is still present in the latest SVN revision. Checked to see if my copy is corrupted but it turned out it's not. Grabbed a few more of them and the issue is still present.

The game launches just fine, you can choose your graphics mode, and everything else works just fine. Had to lower the cycles because the menu is too fast to select stuff. I configured my car, exited the shop and walked to the right to start a game. All nice and fine! So then I ran over every single junk I can find on the road like tires, logs, rocks, deer skulls and other crap that's out there just to damage the car, so I can pull over to repair it.

Red message tell me:
TRUCK DAMAGES - STOPPING FOR REPAIRS

On the repair screen I did a car diagnosis, and after I selected the key the game is frozen. I checked the debugger and I get this, actually a bunch of these messages.

CPU:Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 0

If I press SPACE while the car is in perfect condition, blue message:
STOPPING FOR REPAIRS

You can enter the repair screen with the SPACE bar. The weird thing is that I can't freeze the game if the car if nothing is lit on the dash. I can easily select the race flags and continue the race. However if you already did some damage to the car and tried to diagnose and repair the vehicle the game just freezes just like before, and I think this is what Ashir is referring to in this topic and also on the DOSBox compatibility list.

Tried to find some related problems and I only found two on VOGONS.
PC Compatible DeskMate
The Hidden Below - illegal interrupt

Clearly there's something wrong, even though on the Wiki mentions that the game is running very well. The only thing is that only a few people are aware of this issue.

For keys check the wiki because it's really odd to navigate the game.
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:4x4_Off-Road_Racing

Initial menus and shop: Arrow keys to choose, INSERT to select.
During race: LEFT, RIGHT, 0 (on keypad)
Repair during race: SPACE

Edit: I did some more tests and this time I bought a lot of spare parts, transmission fluid and other goodies, because I didn't bought anything in my previous tests.

I checked the manual of the game on lemonamiga.com and I narrowed the issue down to one button. You can check it here: http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=11

Evaluate your vehicle's condition, then choose one of several options indicated by the following icons: dwell/tachometer (quality repair), hammer (make-do repair), gas can (add gas), map (view your current position and the position of the checkpoints), or checkered flag (return to the race).

The issue is not present if I press the dwell/tachometer (quality repair) icon. This is the first one in the list, but if I choose the second one the hammer (make-do repair) according to the manual the game instantly freezes and I get the "CPU:Illegal Unhandled Interrupt Called 0" errors in the debugger.

Don't know why that doesn't work, but I hope these help to fix the issue.

Edit two: What I find weird is that in the xtcabandonware video worked just fine.
Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9CvD8RImag
But on the site in the comments people are still complaining:

"IDK why, but the game crashes when I try to fix my engine..."

Reply 3 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The crash is caused by an unhandled divide overflow. A (perhaps unexpectedly) large counter value is read from the PIT, leading to the overflow, so this game may make a good test subject for the timer rewrite. However, the problem seems to go away with 500 cycles, so it may just be a game bug.

Reply 4 of 8, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I tried setting the cycles to 500 and I only was able to use the hammer once. The game didn't crashed, but I ran over some more junk and I had to repair it again. So using it the second time froze the game again. I have a feeling that this is not a game bug.

So I used the SVN with cycles set to 500 and I was able to repair the vehicle one, but second time it failed. Then I tried 0.74 with the same values and I was able to reproduce the issue again on the first try. Let's hope the timer rewrite will fix this nasty issue, and hopefully others as well.

Reply 5 of 8, by Ashir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, thank you, thank you P4R4D0X.

Yes!, this is exactly what happens to my game. I was starting to belive that I was crazy...

After reading what ripsaw8080 said, I config my game to 500 cycles and I could actually finish this game for the first time ever!. It's a shame that if you race again, the game will hang again when you select quick repair (second icon)...

Reply 6 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Here's a quick and dirty workaround for the divide error; run the program in DOSBox before running the game. It prevents the game from crashing, even at 3000 cycles, but the time for repairs may not be as it should. The timer component seems to be for the time that YOU take on the repair screen, not the base time required for a particular repair, so the effect may be small in any case. Experiment and see if the repair times are reasonable or not.

Attachments

• Filename
    4X4DIV.ZIP
    File size
    166 Bytes
    Downloads
    78 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by P4R4D0X

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That worked for me. The doesn't freeze any more if I use the quick repair. Now the game seems to be much enjoyable. Tried breaking the car at least five times and I could fix it with the hammer tool. Repair times are also ok for me. At least we got a workaround until the timer will be fixed in DOSBox. I'm pretty sure this will work for Ashir as well. Thank you ripsaw for the help! Much appreciated!

Reply 8 of 8, by Ashir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can confirm it works.

The odd thing is, if you put in on the same folder as the game, and add it as a helper program in D-Fend Reloaded 1.3.3, D-Fend Reloaded will say "could not start 4x4div.com". Odd...