VOGONS

First post, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
recently i bought Voodoo 1 PCI graphics card, and the seller sent me the videos and photos of working card. When arrive, i noticed one missing SMD capacitor on C101, and i didn't want to turn on the card without this little cap (even though it would work without it). I have order all 10 new caps 10uf 16V, and replace old ones. Of course, i checked continuity of positive and negative poles of every cap, and it was all perfect (i was afraid of solder bridges beneath those tiny caps). I also bought "working" Asus K7V slot A MBO with Athlon 600, and i've tried this voodoo on this "new machine"! The MBO gave me 1 long and 3 short beeps, so i thought the board is faulty. Then i tried voodoo on 4 different motherboards, but on every single one i had beeps (vga fault)???
Does anybody knows what i did wrong, when the card was working before "recapp". I'm not newbie with soldering, and i did this at least 2000 times before.
Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 14, by Thandor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you use a 2D VGA card in conjunction with the Diamond Monster 3D? The Voodoo Graphics (and Voodoo II) are 3D add-on cards.

thandor.net - hardware
And the rest of us would be carousing the aisles, stuffing baloney.

Reply 2 of 14, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, just Voodoo alone. Do i need to add another VGA card to PCI slot for voodoo to work, or did i misunderstood You? I have never own a Voodoo card before, and i don't know 🙁
This is the card i tried (in attachment)

Attachments

Reply 4 of 14, by Vagabund2k

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-04-16, 20:04:

No, just Voodoo alone. Do i need to add another VGA card to PCI slot for voodoo to work, or did i misunderstood You? I have never own a Voodoo card before, and i don't know 🙁
This is the card i tried (in attachment)

You need another 2D capable graphics card; Voodoo 1 and 2 were 'only' expansion cards that took over the 3D part. Typical and contemporary choices would be cards from Matrox, Nvidia (Riva 128/TNT/TNT2), or S3 Virge. The two cards are then connected via a loop cable, and the monitor is connected to the Voodoo. In 2D mode, the image is then passed through the Voodoo to the monitor via the loop cable.

Reply 5 of 14, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, officially, i'm an idiot!!! I didn't know that, and of course, when i added another Graphics card, it worked perfect!!!
Thanks a lot, i should ask this question before, it would save me some nerves 😀

Reply 6 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-04-16, 22:52:

perfect
Athlon 600

Voodoo1 is speed sensitive, around 500-600MHz is where you start getting into trouble

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 14, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had one running fine on an athlon xp@ 1000 (geode) with a very late model (~2008) sis chipset.
The same card failed to work on another earlier sis board and an axp @1150.
I suspect the chipset is the issue more than the cpu speed.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 8 of 14, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-04-17, 03:03:
butjer1010 wrote on 2024-04-16, 22:52:

perfect
Athlon 600

Voodoo1 is speed sensitive, around 500-600MHz is where you start getting into trouble

Nah, it wasn't Athon that gave me troubles, it was my "knowledge" about Voodoo cards 😀

Reply 9 of 14, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What rasz_pl is saying is that you should be mindful of your CPU frequency. From my experience, Voodoo 1 runs just fine on anything up to 300 MHz or 66MHz FSB in general, but as soon as the FSB is raised to 100MHz or you start going south 450-500 MHz, all sorts of weird glitches start showing up. Keep that in mind, as you may need to move to a slower system, typically any of the early Pentium II or late K6-2, III and + CPUs will be more than enough to push as much out of the card as possible.

Reply 10 of 14, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2024-04-17, 10:14:

What rasz_pl is saying is that you should be mindful of your CPU frequency. From my experience, Voodoo 1 runs just fine on anything up to 300 MHz or 66MHz FSB in general, but as soon as the FSB is raised to 100MHz or you start going south 450-500 MHz, all sorts of weird glitches start showing up. Keep that in mind, as you may need to move to a slower system, typically any of the early Pentium II or late K6-2, III and + CPUs will be more than enough to push as much out of the card as possible.

Ok, thanks.
I was just testing the card in that mbo, because it was on my table.....
I'm going to put the Voodoo into 486 - 133MHz computer 😀

Reply 11 of 14, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That would be way too slow for the Voodoo 1. Consider that it was aimed at Pentium 133 - 166 and it scales pretty nicely all the way up to early Pentium II systems. Performance will be pretty bad on a 486 of any kind, I would recommend a different system for first time users.

Reply 12 of 14, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second the recommendation to use a Pentium instead of a 486.

The Voodoo was best for games from 1996 to 1997. You'll want a Pentium or Pentium MMX system to get decent performance.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 13 of 14, by butjer1010

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Garrett W wrote on 2024-04-17, 13:44:

That would be way too slow for the Voodoo 1. Consider that it was aimed at Pentium 133 - 166 and it scales pretty nicely all the way up to early Pentium II systems. Performance will be pretty bad on a 486 of any kind, I would recommend a different system for first time users.

Ok, if i'm going to be disappointed with performance of my favorite AMD, i will choose Pentium 😀

Reply 14 of 14, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Again, mine was absolutely fine on AXP 10x100

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)