This post is a note to self
Next revision should include:
1) Run all chips with Biostar MB8433-UUD (UMC 8881/8886) to avoid the auto 2/3 PCI downclock implemented by the M919 when FSB = 40 MHz.
2) Set L2 cache to 256KB double-banked to allow for maximum cache timings. Use single stick of 32 MB memory to ensure all RAM cached.
3) Use Windows95 OSR2 instead of Win98SE.
4) Add GLQuake and Quake II GLmode. Retest with 64 MB RAM and L2 in WT mode to ensure 32 MB RAM is sufficient.
5) Add memory write test from Cachechk.
6) 486 CPUs to add: UMC U5SX-33, UMC U5SX-40, AMD X5-150, Intel DX2-133, AMD DX2-133, Intel 486 DX-50, Intel 486 DX4-100-WT, AMD DX4-100-8KB-WB, AMD DX2-66-16KB-WB, Intel DX2-66-8KB-WB, Intel 486SX, TI 486SXL2-66, P75/90/100
7) 386 CPUs to add: Intel 386-33, Intel 386-40, Cyrix DLC-33, Cyrix DLC-40, Cyrix DRx2-66, TI SXL-40, TI SXL2-50, TI SXL2-66 (unlikely overclock), 386-to-486 interposer with some select socket 3 CPUs,
7b) test up to P54C-100. Add NexGen if possible. Maybe test up to P54C-133 and include K5, MediaGX, and others.
8) Possibly switch video card to ATI Rage 128 VR for increased OpenGL support and speeds. Note the Rage 128 VR Win9x drivers work with all CPUs. For WinNT4, 128 VR drivers work for non-Cyrix-5x86 chips only.
8b) Possibly switch to Matrox G200 w/Voodoo2 for glide benchmarks
8c) Possibly switch to S3 Virge GX2 w/Voodoo2 if I do not care about D3D results.
9) Rerun all tests with DTK PKM-0033S (SiS 496/497) and Voodoo3, Banshee, or ATI Rage 128 VR. Or Select a single CPU, e.g. DX4-100-WB and run the SiS 496 tests. Similarly, run tests with a SiS 471 VLB board w/DX4-100-WB.
10) Eliminate uncommon benchmark suites and add more game-related benchmarks, if they exist. See 11)
11) Keep eye out for other suggestions for improvement, esp. concerning which benchmarks/games to test. - Possibly add game benchmarks "Incoming" and "Forsaken". Also could add Duke3D and Outlaws and check the frame rate counter under identical conditions. Include D3D and Glide results to software results when possible. Include PCPBench VGA and SVGA modes, Topbench, Vspeed, mvspeed, Wing Commander III, Chris3D. Will Tom2D run? Does Unreal Tournament, MDK1, Magic Carpet, GTA, Descent I/II, etc have a fps counter?
12) Run DOS benchmarks with Branch Prediction enabled as this is a stable DOS setting for Cyrix/IBM 5x86 chips.
I will not be doing this anytime soon.