VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by captain_koloth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is the "most OS-y" thing you can do for each OS? The signature thing you do for each OS after setting a new retro build or VM to "verify" to yourself that it's satisfying that nostalgic urge?

For example, for me it's:
XP: Set Bliss background and play Space Cadet pinball
3.1: Play Ski Free

What are yours?

Reply 3 of 39, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

- Windows 95: Get your first BSOD.
- Windows Plus!: Try every theme, cursor and sound combination... and decide to use the default settings.
- Windows XP: Get rid of the themes service.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 39, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows 98:
Disable Task Scheduler with msconfig and enable file extensions and hidden files in the folder options.

Windows XP:
Patch uxtheme.dll and install a dark theme. After that, enable file extensions and hidden files in the folder options.

Windows 10:
Install the Linux subsystem and Debian. Then run Winaero Tweaker to disable advertisements and telemetry and get a bash on right click.
After that, enable file extensions and hidden files in the folder options.

MacOS:
Run a bunch of console commands to make sure it doesn't create DS_Store files. Run a console command to prevent it from adding attachments as thumbnails in the mail program. Install MountainDuck to get around the fact that the Finder is garbage software. Install Chrome because Safari is terrible for web development. Eventually realize that the OS itself is a raging dumpster fire and go back to Windows 10 😄

Bonus - Android:
Root the system with Magisk and install AdAway to remove ads in every browser and application.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 6 of 39, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For both 98SE and XP, the first software I install is Norton Ghost 2003. Once I image the fresh install, I feel a lot more comfortable mucking around by adding drivers, etc. A fresh install of XP SP2 still fits on a CD-R.

Reply 8 of 39, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the bad old days, before routers were common, the first thing to do after installing Windows 2000 was to install a software firewall. (Who remembers ZoneAlarm?) If you forgot to do this your computer would soon be loaded with viruses, without even launching a web browser.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 10 of 39, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install Linux and play xbill...that is all........

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 11 of 39, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS 6.22: Give the floppy drive a good workout and install some games!
Win98SE: Give the CD drive a good workout and install some games!
WinXP: Give the DVD drive a good workout and install some games!
Win10: Give the modem and router a good workout and install some games!
Linux: Give Firefox a good workout and read about some games!
Mac OS: Throw up all over it, making the computer look not unlike a flower power iMac from 2001. You know, the kind that came preloaded with Bugdom. That really was some game!

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 12 of 39, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
  1. Create an empty partition to contain pagefile.sys.
  2. Move pagefile.sys to the said partition.
  3. Turn off autorun for all drives.
  4. Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Option -> View, then show hidden files, extensions, and Windows-protected files.
  5. Set group policy to prevent any users other than administrator from installing applications.
  6. Replace Windows' HOSTS file with my customized HOSTS file to block ads and other undesirables (like corel.com).

And yes, those are parts of my obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 13 of 39, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do (3) and (4) on your list. Moving the pagefile to a different partition doesn't really serve a purpose; you have to use a different physical drive for it to have the desired effect. Also, you need to have some pagefile on C: (maybe a small one) to save crash dumps (if you care).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 14 of 39, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

old OS for retro use: get an image with nothing but the drivers installed, for when I screw it up installing dozens of things
modern OS: not much these days, I guess installing my preferred audio/video players and browser extensions is a must for me

Reply 16 of 39, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote on 2020-04-30, 11:06:

95C: Ctrl-Alt-Del to stop the 'installer'

Taking the CD out during that last boot or leaving out the non Win95-XX CAB files out of your install folder "automates" this for you.
but definitely a necessity

Reply 19 of 39, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
austinham wrote on 2020-04-30, 16:15:

Dose no one here install the drivers for the system? 🤣 haha.
Anyway I start by installing the software for the system.

That's what I was going to ask.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK