VOGONS

Reply 60 of 109, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

-

Last edited by PeterLI on 2016-12-15, 19:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 61 of 109, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've made a schematic for the 16-bit ISA version of this card, which I've attached to this post. I hope it's useful to someone! 😀 The schematic is fairly complete, apart from some decoupling capacitors which I left out. Note that the 8-bit ISA version is very similar, except that it doesn't allow IRQ 10/11/12 to be selected and it has a separate ROM chip for the program code, whereas the 16-bit ISA version has an on-chip ROM embedded within the microcontroller.

Reply 62 of 109, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone know if the breakout cable for the Music Quest card will also work with a MIDIMAN MM-401?

Reply 63 of 109, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It worked on MIDI Land DX-401, check the PCB traces.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 64 of 109, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

It worked on MIDI Land DX-401, check the PCB traces.

Can't check right now, card is in Portugal i'm on the UK.

Reply 65 of 109, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCB is doable 😀

Reply 67 of 109, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

now all we need is tha pal code 😜 RP is easy to see.

Reply 68 of 109, by mvmiller12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So. . . is it possible to purchase a pair of updated v010 ROMs to replace the v004 ROMs I have on my pair of these? If so, it would really resolve a lot of kludgy workarounds that I have to keep running on my 486DX4/100.

Reply 70 of 109, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Does WC work with the Music Quest card if SoftMPU is loaded?

Browsed through this whole thread and internet to find answer to this. Well, I got my own Music Quest MQX-32 and the answer is that SoftMPU fixes the crash 😀

The MQX-32 has the same crash problem in WC as the PC MIDI card with rom 004.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 71 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright gents, here are the new developments on the this little card...
I decided to hack-read the PAL on U5 so we can get the code. The PAL died ( 🤣 ) and no code was recovered ( 🤣 ). So I've been working with Marmes (actually Marmes writes GAL code and I test it) to make a replacement chip.

I do have another identical MPU and the good PAL works on the board with the dead PAL, so the only thing lost is 1x read protected PAL.
TIA! 😎

Last edited by keropi on 2020-07-29, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 72 of 109, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last 2 numbers usually indicate the maximum frequency in Zilog (co-)processors. So the datasheet you have is very likely to be the correct one.
The probably changed the Z8 -> Z08 to avoid confusion later on when the Z80 became more widespread.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 73 of 109, by nsputnik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am wondering if anyone has the sequencer that was included with Music Quest MIDI Card called Easy-8. I checked the disk files (the drivers) linked to by the OP but did not see them.

Reply 74 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nsputnik wrote on 2020-07-29, 16:02:

I am wondering if anyone has the sequencer that was included with Music Quest MIDI Card called Easy-8. I checked the disk files (the drivers) linked to by the OP but did not see them.

well it was not in my boxed card, all I had was a disk with the driver/diagnostics that I uploaded...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 75 of 109, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, Happy Birthday Keropi ! 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 77 of 109, by dysamoria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello; this is my first post here...

I resurrected my Tandy 1000 TL/2 and 2500 XL/2 recently. Had to temporarily install the 3.5" FDD from my Akai S6000 into the 2500 XL/2, and I suspect either the power supply or the hard drive are dying (hard drive doesn't spin up right away, but the power doesn't come on for a second after switched, so...). For now, it works, and I'm messing around with old games. I just discovered what happens in Wing Commander 1, when trying to run it with an MT-32 through a Music Quest PC Music Card with the 004 firmware. Yup, it's freezing at the fireworks like everyone else described.

When I was a kid, I wanted the MT-32, but there was no way I was getting it (allowance didn't cover $650 worth of game music hardware, even though I absolutely tried to justify it to my parents as a music-making tool). I used my Casio MT-540 with it, and a couple games even support it, but, come on, it's no MT-32! It's kind of annoying that, after all these years, I now have two second-hand Roland MT-32 units to use with that supposedly "100% MPU-401 compatible" MIDI card I bought as a 14-year-old, but I still can't play most of the games I want to play because they use "Intelligent Mode" and the card firmware is buggy. Sigh.

Luckily, my card's firmware chip is already in a socket (let me know if you want a picture). What would be the best way to get the working firmware?

Reply 78 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dysamoria wrote on 2021-01-15, 00:24:

[...]
Luckily, my card's firmware chip is already in a socket (let me know if you want a picture). What would be the best way to get the working firmware?

Welcome aboard!
Since your card already has a ROM socket upgrading it is very easy, just burn a new 27C64 (or 27C128/256/512) with the 010 firmware and put that into the socket, nothing else is needed!

Reply 79 of 109, by dysamoria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-01-15, 06:32:
dysamoria wrote on 2021-01-15, 00:24:

[...]

Welcome aboard!
Since your card already has a ROM socket upgrading it is very easy, just burn a new 27C64 (or 27C128/256/512) with the 010 firmware and put that into the socket, nothing else is needed!

"Just"... ha ha... 😁 I don't have an EEPROM writer or the ROM image.