VOGONS

Reply 61 of 109, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've made a schematic for the 16-bit ISA version of this card, which I've attached to this post. I hope it's useful to someone! 😀 The schematic is fairly complete, apart from some decoupling capacitors which I left out. Note that the 8-bit ISA version is very similar, except that it doesn't allow IRQ 10/11/12 to be selected and it has a separate ROM chip for the program code, whereas the 16-bit ISA version has an on-chip ROM embedded within the microcontroller.

Attachments

• Filename
    musicquest-ih9mq9.pdf
    File size
    194.32 KiB
    Downloads
    339 downloads
    File comment
    Music Quest IH9MQ9 schematics - 16-bit ISA version
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 66 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ indeed 😉

main problem atm is PAL code and verification of RP1 and RP2 resistor networks.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 68 of 109, by mvmiller12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So. . . is it possible to purchase a pair of updated v010 ROMs to replace the v004 ROMs I have on my pair of these? If so, it would really resolve a lot of kludgy workarounds that I have to keep running on my 486DX4/100.

Reply 69 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

purchase? music quest doesn't even exist AFAIK...
getting an eprom with the new fw is another matter , pm me

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 70 of 109, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjt wrote:

Does WC work with the Music Quest card if SoftMPU is loaded?

Browsed through this whole thread and internet to find answer to this. Well, I got my own Music Quest MQX-32 and the answer is that SoftMPU fixes the crash 😀

The MQX-32 has the same crash problem in WC as the PC MIDI card with rom 004.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 71 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright gents, here are the new developments on the this little card...
I decided to hack-read the PAL on U5 so we can get the code. The PAL died ( 🤣 ) and no code was recovered ( 🤣 ). So I've been working with Marmes (actually Marmes writes GAL code and I test it) to make a replacement chip.

I do have another identical MPU and the good PAL works on the board with the dead PAL, so the only thing lost is 1x read protected PAL.
TIA! 😎

Last edited by keropi on 2020-07-29, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 72 of 109, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last 2 numbers usually indicate the maximum frequency in Zilog (co-)processors. So the datasheet you have is very likely to be the correct one.
The probably changed the Z8 -> Z08 to avoid confusion later on when the Z80 became more widespread.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 74 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nsputnik wrote on 2020-07-29, 16:02:

I am wondering if anyone has the sequencer that was included with Music Quest MIDI Card called Easy-8. I checked the disk files (the drivers) linked to by the OP but did not see them.

well it was not in my boxed card, all I had was a disk with the driver/diagnostics that I uploaded...

Reply 75 of 109, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyway, Happy Birthday Keropi ! 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 76 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matze79 wrote on 2020-07-30, 16:29:

Anyway, Happy Birthday Keropi ! 😀

hehe thanks!!!!!!

Reply 77 of 109, by dysamoria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello; this is my first post here...

I resurrected my Tandy 1000 TL/2 and 2500 XL/2 recently. Had to temporarily install the 3.5" FDD from my Akai S6000 into the 2500 XL/2, and I suspect either the power supply or the hard drive are dying (hard drive doesn't spin up right away, but the power doesn't come on for a second after switched, so...). For now, it works, and I'm messing around with old games. I just discovered what happens in Wing Commander 1, when trying to run it with an MT-32 through a Music Quest PC Music Card with the 004 firmware. Yup, it's freezing at the fireworks like everyone else described.

When I was a kid, I wanted the MT-32, but there was no way I was getting it (allowance didn't cover $650 worth of game music hardware, even though I absolutely tried to justify it to my parents as a music-making tool). I used my Casio MT-540 with it, and a couple games even support it, but, come on, it's no MT-32! It's kind of annoying that, after all these years, I now have two second-hand Roland MT-32 units to use with that supposedly "100% MPU-401 compatible" MIDI card I bought as a 14-year-old, but I still can't play most of the games I want to play because they use "Intelligent Mode" and the card firmware is buggy. Sigh.

Luckily, my card's firmware chip is already in a socket (let me know if you want a picture). What would be the best way to get the working firmware?

Reply 78 of 109, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dysamoria wrote on 2021-01-15, 00:24:

[...]
Luckily, my card's firmware chip is already in a socket (let me know if you want a picture). What would be the best way to get the working firmware?

Welcome aboard!
Since your card already has a ROM socket upgrading it is very easy, just burn a new 27C64 (or 27C128/256/512) with the 010 firmware and put that into the socket, nothing else is needed!

Reply 79 of 109, by dysamoria

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2021-01-15, 06:32:
dysamoria wrote on 2021-01-15, 00:24:

[...]

Welcome aboard!
Since your card already has a ROM socket upgrading it is very easy, just burn a new 27C64 (or 27C128/256/512) with the 010 firmware and put that into the socket, nothing else is needed!

"Just"... ha ha... 😁 I don't have an EEPROM writer or the ROM image.