PCMCIA Sound Cards

Discussion about old sound cards, MIDI devices and sound related accessories.

Re: PCMCIA Sound Cards

Postby Bondi » 2019-9-23 @ 09:32

lolo799 wrote:Does the driver give any error message?
Could you try the sample config.sys file from the manual?
And maybe another game...

The driver reports that everything is OK and lists the resources that have been set up.

I just checked setups in GTA1 and Heroes2 (in Dosbox for now) - both ask to specify DMA channel. I'm really confused. There can be no DMA. :) What am I supposed to inpt there?

Kahenraz, looking forward to that!
Bondi

Postby Kahenraz » 2019-9-24 @ 05:03

I'll be happy to finally have a working WAVjammer. I've had it sitting around for a while now waiting for a dongle.
Kahenraz
Oldbie

Postby lolo799 » 2019-9-24 @ 15:24

Bondi wrote:The driver reports that everything is OK and lists the resources that have been set up.

I just checked setups in GTA1 and Heroes2 (in Dosbox for now) - both ask to specify DMA channel. I'm really confused. There can be no DMA. :) What am I supposed to inpt there?

Leave DMA at 0 if possible.
Does GTA audio setup recognize the card when set to automatically configure the card?
If not, put in another card and edit the dig.ini file yourself.

How much RAM does your laptop have?
Try the Screamer 2 demo from https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/screamer-2/
lolo799
Oldbie

Postby Bondi » 2019-11-14 @ 17:38

I found a way to get use of my Yamaha pcc10xg card (which is windows only MIDI card) in DOS games...in a way. It tuned out that there is Win9x port of VDMsound driver. And it works with Yamaha card in DOS session in Win98. Yet in some games music sounds strange/slow. I suspect it's due to CPU load. BTW It's also possible to use a software MIDI synthesizer.
In my case the irony is that FX sound stops working if VDMsound is loaded (but MIDI works), and vice versa, FX works without VDMsound.
Bondi

Previous

Return to Sound