Topic actions

Reply 180 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote:

Does the driver give any error message?
Could you try the sample config.sys file from the manual?
And maybe another game...

The driver reports that everything is OK and lists the resources that have been set up.

I just checked setups in GTA1 and Heroes2 (in Dosbox for now) - both ask to specify DMA channel. I'm really confused. There can be no DMA. 😀 What am I supposed to inpt there?

Kahenraz, looking forward to that!

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 182 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote:

The driver reports that everything is OK and lists the resources that have been set up.

I just checked setups in GTA1 and Heroes2 (in Dosbox for now) - both ask to specify DMA channel. I'm really confused. There can be no DMA. 😀 What am I supposed to inpt there?

Leave DMA at 0 if possible.
Does GTA audio setup recognize the card when set to automatically configure the card?
If not, put in another card and edit the dig.ini file yourself.

How much RAM does your laptop have?
Try the Screamer 2 demo from https://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/screamer-2/

PCMCIA Sound, Storage & Graphics

Reply 183 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found a way to get use of my Yamaha pcc10xg card (which is windows only MIDI card) in DOS games...in a way. It tuned out that there is Win9x port of VDMsound driver. And it works with Yamaha card in DOS session in Win98. Yet in some games music sounds strange/slow. I suspect it's due to CPU load. BTW It's also possible to use a software MIDI synthesizer.
In my case the irony is that FX sound stops working if VDMsound is loaded (but MIDI works), and vice versa, FX works without VDMsound.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 184 of 576, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, to summit up. What's the best and easy to find sound card that works under pure DOS? Toshiba Tecra S3 is coming to me and I already own Creative PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, but that one is for Windows only, and I would like to use this laptop not only for old windows games but for DOS too.

Reply 185 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2020-01-12, 06:01:

Guys, to summit up. What's the best and easy to find sound card that works under pure DOS? Toshiba Tecra S3 is coming to me and I already own Creative PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, but that one is for Windows only, and I would like to use this laptop not only for old windows games but for DOS too.

That laptop should be powerful enough to run Dosbox I think.
The Audigy 2 ZS Notebook doesn't work in Windows 9x, only 2k and XP.
Finding a PCMCIA sound card that works in DOS is a matter of luck and perseverance, there are a handful on ebay and yahoo auctions right now, like a really overpriced boxed Wavjammer or dongle less IBM 3D sound card and Roland scp-55, which would be useless if you can't either find the appropriate dongle or build them yourself...

Your laptop does have a parallel port according to the specs I found, getting one of dreamblaster's parallel port sound devices would be a decent alternative to finding a PCMCIA sound card:
CVX4
OPL2LPT
DreamBlaster S2P : Small form factor General MIDI on parallel port

Reply 186 of 576, by vorob

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First of all, thanks for the info!

overpriced boxed Wavjammer

Yeee, 300$... I thought 60$ for Creative PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 is too much 😀

Your laptop does have a parallel port according to the specs I found, getting one of dreamblaster's parallel port sound devices would be a decent alternative to finding a PCMCIA sound card

I thought covox thing works only with selected games and sound quality is bad. Don't get me wrong, between no sound, 300$ sound and covox I'll choose covox, but still... Or i'm missing smth?

Well, if we speak about emulation, I can use my 6 core + 2080 laptop 😀 The point of Toshiba Tecra S3 is to have as much as possible pure experience. At least I'm trying 😀

Reply 187 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vorob wrote on 2020-01-12, 18:17:
First of all, thanks for the info! […]
Show full quote

First of all, thanks for the info!

overpriced boxed Wavjammer

Yeee, 300$... I thought 60$ for Creative PCMCIA Sound Blaster Audigy 2 is too much 😀

Your laptop does have a parallel port according to the specs I found, getting one of dreamblaster's parallel port sound devices would be a decent alternative to finding a PCMCIA sound card

I thought covox thing works only with selected games and sound quality is bad. Don't get me wrong, between no sound, 300$ sound and covox I'll choose covox, but still... Or i'm missing smth?

Well, if we speak about emulation, I can use my 6 core + 2080 laptop 😀 The point of Toshiba Tecra S3 is to have as much as possible pure experience. At least I'm trying 😀

The Wavjammer is one of the 2 pcmcia cards that can do digital audio in DOS.
Covox works only with a good number of selected games, that's true, but the audio quality is better than the integrated pc speaker.
dreamblaster also make OPL2/3 and General Midi devices for the parallel port, look at those too.

Reply 188 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lolo799 wrote on 2020-01-12, 13:48:

dongle less IBM 3D sound card and Roland scp-55, which would be useless if you can't either find the appropriate dongle or build them yourself...

There is such an agiotage around that card on ebay 😀
I think I've identified what kind of connector IBM card uses. But I need the pinout to make a dongle. At least for audio out.

Would be great if anyone, who has the dongle of IBM 3D sound card, could do some testing. It should not be too difficult.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 189 of 576, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone have experience with the HP 100LX/200LX and the Roland SCP-55? I'm a big fan of these palmtops and was wondering how well the SCP-55 works on them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reply 190 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maestro wrote on 2020-02-01, 20:10:

Does anyone have experience with the HP 100LX/200LX and the Roland SCP-55? I'm a big fan of these palmtops and was wondering how well the SCP-55 works on them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have used the SCP-55 on my 200LX with the 3rd party enabler listed on the first page.
That link is down sadly, but you can still find the file at https://www.vector.co.jp/download/file/dos/ut … l/fh026698.html
I'll also attach it here:

Filename
SCP55_HP.ZIP
File size
7.14 KiB
Downloads
88 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

There's one issue with the card, it draws a lot more current than what the 200LX can provide, check the readme below for details.
One solution to this would be to use a pcmcia extender or port doubler with its own power supply I suppose.
Or you could use a MIDI device with a serial port cable, such as the Roland PMA-5 or a Yamaha MU5 if you need a small device that works on battery, or a regular SC-55 if you don't mind being stuck to a desk...
Apart from that small power problem, it works perfectly fine at port 330h and you can use it with any software you want (that will run on the palmtop).
What do you want to use it for?

English translation of the readme

Enabler for the SCP-55

● This software

This software, pocket computer journal issue Mon 12 (Co., Ltd. Engineering) has been posted on the SCP card MIDI instruments on Roland HP200LX-55 is intended to be used.
  In use, it has the following notes on the read, please use.
● Notes

SCP-55 Current consumption is 360mA when the operation has gotten Toka. In HP200LX, the maximum current that can flow through the PCMCIA slot is a 150mA, and over-specification.
Therefore, when using the AC adapter is mandatory. If you use a mobile if you want, you let the battery terminal 8 AC adapter, you can work.
Here, the instrument to operate continuously, gradually thin LCD screen, a phenomenon that can occur is turned off. In such case, the power may not be re-entrant. Wait a while, turn the power switch back and out the card.

[Important]
  The use of SCP55 card is HP200LX, HP, Roland also not guarantee. Should the card, even if the body is broken HP200LX, and the author, the editorial is not guaranteed. We ask that you use at your own risk.
  Moreover, in this regard, HP, Roland has to ask us, please.
  And practical thinking, please be considered experimental, so to speak.

● How to use

From the command line of DOS,

SCP55_HP [Return]

And by the resident. Now, SCP-part MIDI device 55, MPU-401 as a compatible and is connected to the I / O port (I / O port address = 330h ~).
  If moving the appropriate playback software, sounds from the card.

● Details

For more information about the program, please read the relevant article.

● copyright

This program and Sour23 (bottom) Engineering Inc. All rights reserved.

● Contact
ZOB Stabion BBS zob10344 Sour23
Pocket Communications Ver.3 2569 Sour23

Reply 191 of 576, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My intent was to use it for playback only. The LX is my travel companion and having MIDI playback would be a dream come true.

The readme suggests that the LX provides overcurrent using the AC adapter, perhaps leading to a screen fading issue. Any experience trying the SCP-55 on AC alone?

Do you think this driver would also work with the early Omnibooks (300, 425, 430)? I can look up the specs later, but right now my GF is nagging me to leave. 😉

Thank you very much for the download!

Reply 192 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have an pcmcia port extender or a port doubler to try it with, I know they exist, I have a handful of references somewhere.
The screen fades while the 200LX is using the AC adapter, so you can't play music for too long.
On battery it's not even worth a try.
The small external midi modules such as the ones I listed with the proper serial cable would give you a longer playback time, no screen issues, you'll need more batteries though...
I had an Omnibook 300 (maybe) at some point, but I'm not sure if I already had the scp-55 then...I don't remember to be honest.
You already own a SCP-55?

Reply 193 of 576, by maestro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately I don't own the SCP-55. I am watching an ebay auction which is currently going cheap but I expect it will balloon to the ludicrous range closer to the end of the auction. The last time I saw one on ebay it sold for $500 US as a buy it now, so I fully expect the same for this one too. Despite the price, securing the driver has made the prospect of owning one of these much more realistic.

Discrete General MIDI on the Omnibook (or palmtop) is the dream. I've tried a few solutions on the Omnibook with mixed success:

1. Boxed Wavjammer - Yes, I bought one of those ludicrous priced Wavjammers. Thank goodness I didn't pay the full price, although I'm still too embarrassed to say how much I paid. I had hoped there might be some compatibility with HP products because of the pointed interest shown by the palmtop community during product development. Being one of the first PCMCIA sound cards, I had also thought it might have the best chance at working but alas the card cannot initialize due to the Omnibook's socket services version being too low/unique. I'm still hopeful and on the lookout for a solution, it could be as simple as spoofing the version check.

2. Digispeech Plus - This is the best solution for digital audio but it has a few quirks. The bulkiness of the product is matched by a quagmire of drivers used to enable various functions, which invokes a sense of it being an evolved platform where modules of functionality were bolted together. I've successfully used digital audio in DOS and Windows but I couldn't get SBFM working, and I'm more into music than games. It's also requires external power (outside the laptop's AC) and it's quite bulky, which makes it less than ideal for me.

3. Serdaco Parallel Port Bundle - These are really nice and quite specialized in what the do. My only complain is that they're not internal cards and require an external power source but otherwise they're top quality products and ideal for my needs. I also get to support a community project from like-minded individuals and that's quite valuable to me as well.

So that's where I'm at, chasing my dreams...

Reply 194 of 576, by lolo799

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Wavjammer won't lose its value over time i think, so you may still resell it at some point.

I had a Digispeech Portable Plus, it was bulky indeed...
The Serdaco devices sure look useful with old laptops and the relative scarcity of pcmcia sound cards.

Check Yahoo auctions too, the scp-55 pop up from time to time there.
And take a look at the Roland PMA-5 or Yamaha MU5, they're usually quite cheap and might be what you're looking for, you'll just need the proper serial midi cable and a serial adapter for the LX.

I recall that Omnibook early Socket services, it's the same issue with the LX palmtops that prevents most of the pcmcia cards working on it.

Reply 195 of 576, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried my Panasonic KXL-D745. In DOS it plays Adlib fine, but crashes when attempting to play digital sound (Wolf3D).
But in Windows 95's DOS session it actually plays digital sound in Wolf3D. One can hear door opening sound and soldiers saying "mein Leben" 😀 Yet FX souund does not work in Doom, for instance.
I'm now wondering why, and what type of digital sound this is. Direct DAC SB (no DMA) mode? Or it is because Wolf3D is a real mode game? Not sure I understand how it all relates.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 196 of 576, by halls_well

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry I'm no help Bondi, but your question made me realize I also have a similar one - I have a Panasonic KXL-D20 that I got a while ago, but haven't ever been able to get to work. I have two questions here -
1 - do I need a sound/CD-ROM card, instead of this CD-ROM card that it came with? I suspect I may have been screwed on eBay years ago.
2 - do I need the KXL-720 CD player as well?

Thanks for anyone that may know 😁

Attachments

• IMG_5145.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_5145.jpg
    File size
    229.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    KXL D-20 and parts
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 197 of 576, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You do need the Sound/CDROM card. You shouldn't have to have the CDROM drive itself.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 199 of 576, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see the cards pop up on eBay every once in a while. Save searches for:
panasonic pcmcia
panasonic kxl