VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone use a Matrox G200 for DOS and can they tell me how good that works?

I checked Gona's DOS compatibility matrix but things look pretty bad. However, according to the same matrix things look equally bad for cards like Mystique and G450 and I did not encounter half the problems he says there is. I mean, screen tearing in Duke3D and Quake are news to me. So, I thought I'd ask about any first hand experiences. I'm mostly interested in how well it runs games from 1993 and onward.

Just asking because I'm considering building a mATX DOS/Win98SE dual boot reverse-sleeper PC..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you need performance info, I've got you covered with my recent G200 MMS test:

MatroxBench.png
Filename
MatroxBench.png
File size
102 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That's from my slowly crawling update to "Electric boogalo" benchmark topic. With S3 Trio64V+ and Tseng ET6000 added for comparison. In short, G200-G550 cards behave almost identically.

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me

Reply 2 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-12, 18:05:

If you need performance info, I've got you covered with my recent G200 MMS test:
MatroxBench.png

That's from my slowly crawling update to "Electric boogalo" benchmark topic. With S3 Trio64V+ and Tseng ET6000 added for comparison. In short, G200-G550 cards behave almost identically.

Thanks, very helpful. Did you notice any irregularities/artifacts in games like Doom, Duke3D, Quake etc?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.