VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone use a Matrox G200 for DOS and can they tell me how good that works?

I checked Gona's DOS compatibility matrix but things look pretty bad. However, according to the same matrix things look equally bad for cards like Mystique and G450 and I did not encounter half the problems he says there is. I mean, screen tearing in Duke3D and Quake are news to me. So, I thought I'd ask about any first hand experiences. I'm mostly interested in how well it runs games from 1993 and onward.

Just asking because I'm considering building a mATX DOS/Win98SE dual boot reverse-sleeper PC..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you need performance info, I've got you covered with my recent G200 MMS test:

MatroxBench.png
Filename
MatroxBench.png
File size
102 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That's from my slowly crawling update to "Electric boogalo" benchmark topic. With S3 Trio64V+ and Tseng ET6000 added for comparison. In short, G200-G550 cards behave almost identically.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-09-12, 18:05:

If you need performance info, I've got you covered with my recent G200 MMS test:
MatroxBench.png

That's from my slowly crawling update to "Electric boogalo" benchmark topic. With S3 Trio64V+ and Tseng ET6000 added for comparison. In short, G200-G550 cards behave almost identically.

Thanks, very helpful. Did you notice any irregularities/artifacts in games like Doom, Duke3D, Quake etc?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just checked a G200 AGP in Dos. It seems to me that the G200 is a bit slow in Dos (Duke3D, Swarrior) in 800x600 and also in 640x480.
I noticed screentearing on TFT too...I don't think that MGA Mystique PCI has this too. I have to recheck this..

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 5 of 9, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a G200 on my MMX build and i did not encounter any of the issues noted on the matrix BUT that only after using 136 in 1 to slowdown my CPU to a 386\486 etc. personally after slowing down matrox cards work pretty damn smooth.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 6 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote on 2023-03-22, 20:34:

I just checked a G200 AGP in Dos. It seems to me that the G200 is a bit slow in Dos (Duke3D, Swarrior) in 800x600 and also in 640x480.

Common issue with VESA on Build engine and "modern" system specs, need to disable LFB or apply MSKVBEF patch.

Reply 8 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All necessary tools were mentioned here and there many times, including my benchmark thread.