VOGONS

First post, by ka1axy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone managed to get Tetris for DOS working *with sound* on DOSBox?

I have it working on DOSBox under Linux, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to configure DOSBox's sound (yes, I have RTFM...but I'm thick and don't understand how the emulated soundcard and MIDI options interact)
Also, people seem to think the soundcard must be at A330 (or A300, I've seen both), but DOSBox doesn't seem to support A330.
So, if you have DOS Tetris (with the little airplane landing in the initial screen) playing music under DOSBox, I'd appreciate a dosbox.conf file

It worked great on my old (physical hardware) DOS box, it shouldn't be too hard but I cannot figure it out 😀

Many thanks in advance,
Peter

Reply 2 of 7, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2021-10-13, 19:01:

Are we talking about the 1988 game? I'm asking because the plane makes a pass but never lands 😀
Unless I'm terribly mistaken it only has pc speaker sound.

The original 1988 Tetris had PC speaker only. The 1992 Tetris Classic has up to 11 sound options:

Tetris_Classic_sound_option.jpg
Filename
Tetris_Classic_sound_option.jpg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I've never played the 1991 Super Tetris though.

Reply 3 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ka1axy wrote on 2021-10-13, 18:39:

Also, people seem to think the soundcard must be at A330 (or A300, I've seen both), but DOSBox doesn't seem to support A330.
So, if you have DOS Tetris (with the little airplane landing in the initial screen) playing music under DOSBox, I'd appreciate a dosbox.conf file

Hi Peter!
These addresses usually correspond to the MIDI connector (MPU-401 board in intelligent mode).
Port 330h was the default address, while 300h (h=hexadecimal address) was the alternative.

Games from the 80s usually expected either a Roland MT-32 Synthesizer (or Roland LAPC-I) or a generic MIDI piano at port 330h.

Later, in the 90s, games became more flexible.
They also started to support General MIDI Standards (GM and GS, XG sometimes too).
These games usually can use port 300h, too.

Tetris likely wants a Roland MT-32 or compatible Synthesizer at port 330h.

DOSBox supports the intelligent MPU-401 interface on port 330h, but doesn't provide the MT-32.
Rather, it passes the MIDI commands to your Operating System (Windows).

So you can either use your real MT-32 or install an emulator (Munt).
Or use an unofficial DOSBox that has Munt built-in and internally connected (old Daum builds come to mind) .

Good luck! 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 7, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Or use an unofficial DOSBox that has Munt built-in and internally connected (old Daum builds come to mind) .

or the less old but vibrant dosbox staging which also got Munt built in

Reply 5 of 7, by ka1axy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2021-10-13, 19:01:

Are we talking about the 1988 game? I'm asking because the plane makes a pass but never lands 😀
Unless I'm terribly mistaken it only has pc speaker sound.

1988 (well, 1987 is what's on the copyright notice) And yes, the plane never lands!

So...PC speaker only? That's all I ever had, but I also ran a TSR that emulated a sound card through the speaker, so I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the clue...my memory isn't what it used to be!

"Spectrum Holobyte presents
TETRIS
(c)1987 Microsoft and Andromeda Software
Licensed to Sphere"

So...I disabled all the sound card options and enabled the PC Speaker emulation at 16000 Hz, but still no sound.
I know this *should* work, but I guess it's hunt and poke until I find the right combination of settings.

Reply 6 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
llm wrote on 2021-10-14, 07:19:

or the less old but vibrant dosbox staging which also got Munt built in

Ah, I see. Thanks for the tip! My latest state was ~2014 or so. 😅
Haven't really played that much with new releases since..

Except on Linux (Raspberry Pi OS), because that's what I use now (I'm stranded with a Pi 4).
Unfortunatelly, that one has its own package systems that keeps DOSBox up-to-date.
Or not. Had to compilie/link myself DOSBox-X because of this. 🙁

PS: Did I mention that I'm still thinking of CVS builds ? I know they switched to SVN years ago, but I always forget.
Now, that "new" SVN is old itself, as well. People use Git now, or so I heard. Ah, how time flies! 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 7, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-10-15, 02:15:

PS: Did I mention that I'm still thinking of CVS builds ? I know they switched to SVN years ago, but I always forget.
Now, that "new" SVN is old itself, as well. People use Git now, or so I heard. Ah, how time flies! 😅

staging uses Git - SVN is already deprecated (but still fostered) for years 😀