Reply 20 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mbbrutman wrote on 2022-04-30, 16:52:
Some things to try: […]
Show full quote

Some things to try:

• Can you ping using a human readable name, such as vogons.org? If so, then DNS is working. If not, try using a direct IP address and deal with DNS later.
  • Are you going to a site that still supports HTTP? Anything that redirects to HTTPS is going to fail with a browser that old.
  • Try a site on a dedicated host that does not share hosting resources. (I'm not sure if that version of Netscape knew how to specify a virtual host in the headers.)

Thanks a lot for the reply. Your software has been nothing short of amazing in expanding the capabilities of our old machines, especially my 386!

So after the initial boot into DOS 5, packet driver is loaded, DHCP runs, and then yes I can ping google.ca or Vogons.org without issue. Once I load Windows however and after running TCPman successfully, I cannot seem to ping any readable name. I have not actually tried a direct IP. I did enter the CMD prompt from within windows and also seems like DHCP/Ping is not working. Not sure though if that's relevant information though since I'm assuming TCPman is handling things from inside Windows.

In regards to HTTP sites, yes. As far as I know I am only trying to access old websites that support HTTP only. I'm assuming the first website page is only HTTP, but I've also been trying to access websites that are very simplistic with basic HTML and afaik limited to HTTP.

Do you know any sites off-hand I could try that are direct hosting? I could spin up an Apache server on my RBPi3 I guess to test but that'll take me a bit. Although would Netscape 1.0 even work accessing a newer apache?

Thanks again.

Reply 21 of 21, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mbbrutman wrote on 2022-04-30, 16:52:
Some things to try: […]
Show full quote

Some things to try:

• Can you ping using a human readable name, such as vogons.org? If so, then DNS is working. If not, try using a direct IP address and deal with DNS later.
  • Are you going to a site that still supports HTTP? Anything that redirects to HTTPS is going to fail with a browser that old.
  • Try a site on a dedicated host that does not share hosting resources. (I'm not sure if that version of Netscape knew how to specify a virtual host in the headers.)

Got it working! 😁 it ended up being a dns issue with the wrong dns configured. So in TCPman I had my ISP dns server there, as that’s what I normally use, and I think I even have my ISP dns configured for mTCPIP. I changed it to my router/192.168.68.1 and 💥 My 386 using Netscape 1.0 is surfing the web like it’s 1993. I went back and did what you suggested double checking if I could hit website IP addresses and it turns out I could, so I knew it was a classic dns issue. Thanks for the help.

8C038C4F-3D6E-4CB8-97A2-E5F825C279BE.jpeg
Filename
8C038C4F-3D6E-4CB8-97A2-E5F825C279BE.jpeg
File size
930.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception