VOGONS

Windows 3.11 Ultimate Build

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i installed those drivers that davidrg linked and well now my pc is stuffed.
i ran the lscfg file and it said that irq and memory banks were conflicting do you want setup to change the setting for you i selected yes
then after reboot i get nothing no monitor pc wont post all i get is a bunch of beebs from the motherboard
i pulled the network card out and the pc will post but i cant boot as the network card had the bios for the ide to xt
so i cant do anything now
cant even boot the computer
there are no jumpers on the card to set so i dont know whats happened.
the card just hangs up the pc

Reply 81 of 105, by bstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm late to the party 🙁

I didn't see these mentioned:
Lucasarts Indy Desktop adventures and Yoda Stories... these were staples of mine during the 3.11 days.

I also didn't see anyone mention CivNet... I know it came out in '95, but I played the heck out of it in win 3.11.
https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/CivNet

Reply 82 of 105, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vkcpolice wrote on 2022-04-17, 13:28:
So i installed those drivers that davidrg linked and well now my pc is stuffed. i ran the lscfg file and it said that irq and me […]
Show full quote

So i installed those drivers that davidrg linked and well now my pc is stuffed.
i ran the lscfg file and it said that irq and memory banks were conflicting do you want setup to change the setting for you i selected yes
then after reboot i get nothing no monitor pc wont post all i get is a bunch of beebs from the motherboard
i pulled the network card out and the pc will post but i cant boot as the network card had the bios for the ide to xt
so i cant do anything now
cant even boot the computer
there are no jumpers on the card to set so i dont know whats happened.
the card just hangs up the pc

I guess lscfg complaining about conflicts might explain why the drivers you'd tried previously weren't working. Bit of a pain it didn't check for conflicts before picking new resources though! I did this a few weeks back with an SMC card (though I foolishly picked the resources myself without checking) - must have accidentally set the card to conflict with something important (VGA card?). Not sure what you'd normally do in this situation to reset the card to defaults - I assume there must be some way to do it but maybe its card specific and you'd need the manual to find out. My solution at the time was just to grab another card and make a mental note not to do that again.

Reply 83 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes looks like it's conflicting with something. Just got to work out how I can't fix it now.
As I can't boot the PC as it had the bios in the network card. I've lost everything now cause I'm pretty sure the HDD has crashed as well as when I boot it says sector not found error in config.sys
When I run scandisk it shows the whole drive is full of bad sectors so I guess the win 3.1 ultimate build turned out to be the win 3.11 ultimate fail

Reply 84 of 105, by Bco1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vkcpolice wrote on 2022-04-15, 10:51:
ive never really had any issues changing drivers of updating graphics cards or sound cards. the only main issue i have with win […]
Show full quote

ive never really had any issues changing drivers of updating graphics cards or sound cards.
the only main issue i have with win 3.11 is that either media player 5.2 or its installed video for windows corrupts a lot of windows 3.11 dll files and the only way to fix it is to format.
i dont know if its media player 5.2 or the video for windows that causes the dll file to become corrupt

i know there was a heap of software for win 3.11 but i think i have most of it.

the only next thing i want to do with this build is get it online 🤣

Firstly, sorry about your loss, i hope you can get it fixed somehow.

I find it odd you are having these issues with mp5.2beta. i have had it installed many times and it never gave me any trouble.
Even within the last two weeks, i have installed it a couple of times on new installs while testing PCem making various pc setups.
Finally making a P100, 64mb ram, S3Trio64V 4mb, voodoo1 4mb, SB16, RTL8029AS. (pentium 100 because my old Core2quad Q9650 could emulate that when overclocked to 3.6Ghz and Intel SpeedStep disabled)
install dos 6.22, wfw3.11, make a swapfile on the suggested size, enable 32bit file access, change cache size to 4096kb.
install video driver, audio driver, add MS tcp/ip. win32s v1.30c, Wing, Video for Windows 1.1e.
now media player 5.2 beta.
And everything else.

Also, total commander 16bit v6.58 can read long file names on current ftp servers.
And just found PuTTY v0.76 win32s port. works perfectly just very very slow at generating hostkeys. (pentium 100, so ofcourse it's slow as f')

Can't remember if it was mentioned, but software i like to use is Paint Shop Pro v3.12 and Mod4win

Reply 85 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thx I have tried mp 5.2 on heaps of different PC's running win 3.1 and it does corrupt the DLL files it does not happen straight away it takes a few reboots to happen for example after installing mp I'd launch ms word as soon as I quit the software I get error general protection fault in DLL that is when I launch every windows app and go to quit it I get that DLL error and it only happens after I install either mp or video for windows. As for my poor PC I am waiting on a cd card and a ide to cf card. That way I can always have a backup so this does not happen again. As for the network card I took the xt to ide bios out of the card and the PC would boot again with the card installed so whatever I did with those driver changing settings ect. Corrupted the bios so now I also have to somehow get a new EPROM chip

Reply 86 of 105, by davidrg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vkcpolice wrote on 2022-04-20, 02:41:

As for the network card I took the xt to ide bios out of the card and the PC would boot again with the card installed so whatever I did with those driver changing settings ect. Corrupted the bios so now I also have to somehow get a new EPROM chip

Interesting! the EPROM chip might be fine - the NIC config utility might have just moved the ROM starting address to somewhere that conflicts. I guess you might be able to run the config utility again and see if there are any options for moving the ROM to a different address

Reply 87 of 105, by Bco1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@vkcpolic You are doing something wrong. it works fine.
I wrote the order to go by when you install windows 3.11, never fails for me.
But other then that. mp5.2 is not really useful. It can't play wav, mid or mpg files. only asf, asx, nsc and netstreams. which... there arn't many of.

win31mp52beta.png
Filename
win31mp52beta.png
File size
34 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 88 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bco1981 wrote on 2022-04-20, 08:45:
@vkcpolic You are doing something wrong. it works fine. I wrote the order to go by when you install windows 3.11, never fails fo […]
Show full quote

@vkcpolic You are doing something wrong. it works fine.
I wrote the order to go by when you install windows 3.11, never fails for me.
But other then that. mp5.2 is not really useful. It can't play wav, mid or mpg files. only asf, asx, nsc and netstreams. which... there arn't many of.
win31mp52beta.png

It won't work for long do it on a real computer not a vbox and see how it slowly corrupts your windows install. I have used it on a number of computer and I get the same errors everytime after installing it

Reply 89 of 105, by Bco1981

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did, 20+ years ago.

I'm just using PCem because it's so much easier then having to have several pc cases... which i do. but they are all in a storage room quite a bit away from my apartment.
So. I do have a 486DX4-120MHz in working order, except the com port. i also have two pentium 200 pc's, and two amd k6-2 400mhz. tbh, i have too much shit. and not enough room to mess around with it all. that's why i'm emulating. much easier, takes a lot less space, and works really well.

Reply 90 of 105, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't speak to 5.2, but the installer for Encarta 95 did dump the video for windows update on my 3.1 standard mode (286) system without asking or warning me. Broke media player completely had to restore from backup

Reply 92 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lots of nice toys there!
i cant help myself i have a whole room setup with all my vintage computers so i can just jump from one to another.
i know it takes up room but theirs nothing like using real hardware

i think i use my amiga and commodore 64 more than i use modern pcs
they basically do everything i need a computer to do minus internet.
i game on consoles so my modern gaming rig really just sits there.

Reply 93 of 105, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Admins Delete If not Allowed

As many have Requested here is the huge collection of windows 3.1 software im currently running on my 486
all this software should run without the Win32s Subset

https://archive.org/details/windows-3.1-software

Reply 95 of 105, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote on 2022-03-26, 13:14:

I keep seeing people mentioning Micro$hit Encarta. Screw that. Compton and Grolier are what you want.

Grolier was the best of the three; IIRC I had three editions. Compton was a mixed bag.

Back in late 1990s while more and more Chinese grad students in US grad schools were skilled with computers, many older Chinese postdocs grew up in the environment when computers had not been considered as a consumer electronic outside academia, so I often helped them solving problems of their home computers (and got free dinners in return). In 1999 I got a free Compton disc bundled with my P2-400 so I gave it to a postdoc in my lab along with installation. Naturally the first thing we looked it up was its entry on "China." Guess what we saw: a photo with hundreds of workers dressed in dark blue overall "Mao suits" riding bicycles, probably taken in the midst of Cultural Revolution; the photo was not dated, though.

We burst out laughing. Yes, China in 1999 was not yet a "behemoth of civil engineering" (基建狂魔) but already far from those days; even "11-3" had been two decades ago. Every now and then I still encounter some rednecks less-informed Americans thinking China TODAY is still filled with ant-like working class dressed in Mao suits and commuting with bicycles; I suspect those photos imprinted their memories when they saw them in their home or school computers in their childhoods.

Reply 96 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't even realise they were still bundling Compton in the PII era. I don't think I've used any CD-ROM encyclopedias made after 1995. But I seem to remember some of the later editions required juggling dozens of CDs.
I don't think I ever looked up 'China' on my grolier discs. I'll have to check that out.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 97 of 105, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Grolier’s encyclopedia came bundled with my New Sony 2x CDROM drive back in 1993. It came in this multimedia pack including a dictionary, San Diego Zoo, and Carmen San Diego game. They were practically giving these away back in 1993 as entry level CDROM’s.
I like infopedia CDROM.

Attachments

Reply 98 of 105, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-05-09, 22:15:

Grolier’s encyclopedia came bundled with my New Sony 2x CDROM drive back in 1993. It came in this multimedia pack including a dictionary, San Diego Zoo, and Carmen San Diego game. They were practically giving these away back in 1993 as entry level CDROM’s.

Wish I had bought the Windows version of The Animals! (San Diego Zoo and Wild Animal Park); the DOS version I bought had many limitations e.g. very poor video quality, text-only copying, sound would crash on faster computers.

Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-05-09, 22:15:

I like infopedia CDROM.

Wow, it's a more comprehensive version of MS Bookshelf + Encarta (Encarta is the licensed version of Funk & Wagnalls).

Reply 99 of 105, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ha, I almost forgot about Funk & Wagnalls. What a great name.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium