VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 2280 of 2397, by Niels007007

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I hope this is a good place to post this question.

With 'standard' Dosbox and the ECE version, Hercules mode allows me to run old Accolade racing games, notably Grand Prix Circuit.
DosBox-x is superior and I prefer to use it, but the game won't launch. You go back to dos right after selecting Hercules mode in the game launcher. Again, the same game version works with the other DosBox versions.

Is there any reason why DosBox-x could give issues, and of course more importantly, are there any ideas pointing towards a solution? 😀
Thanks
Niels

Reply 2281 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niels007007 wrote on 2022-05-03, 17:57:
Hi, I hope this is a good place to post this question. […]
Show full quote

Hi, I hope this is a good place to post this question.

With 'standard' Dosbox and the ECE version, Hercules mode allows me to run old Accolade racing games, notably Grand Prix Circuit.
DosBox-x is superior and I prefer to use it, but the game won't launch. You go back to dos right after selecting Hercules mode in the game launcher. Again, the same game version works with the other DosBox versions.

Is there any reason why DosBox-x could give issues, and of course more importantly, are there any ideas pointing towards a solution? 😀
Thanks
Niels

That would suggest that there is some kind of I/O test that it does to detect Hercules cards, and DOSBox-X doesn't know that one yet.

Perhaps it does a memory test to see if video memory aliases every 4K or perhaps polling 3Bah to see if a bit toggles that doesn't normally toggle on MDA.

DOSBox-X project: more emulation better accuracy.
DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 2282 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOSBox-X has a Discord server, if you'd like to talk real-time.

https://discord.gg/khVZR5UK

DOSLIB and DOSLIB2: Learn how to tinker and hack hardware and software from DOS.

Reply 2284 of 2397, by gfernval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello:

I have compiled myseld the latest dosbox-x 0.84 source code, but the resultant binary complains about inet_ntop not found in ws2_32.dll
I run Windows XP ans such function is not available. In the source code, the file include\enet.h contais an implementation of inet_ntop (// inet_ntop/inet_pton for MingGW from http://mingw-users....) how to force to use this inet_ntop implentation instead the one defined inside ws2_32.dll?

thanks

Reply 2285 of 2397, by hail-to-the-ryzen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Read the recent commit on the BOUND instruction. Searched further and noted a post on its implementation. Seems there is a distinct 80188 cpu type.

"Technically, x86 does have hardware bounds-checking: the BOUND instruction was introduced in 1982 in the Intel 80188 (as well as the Intel 286 and above, but not the Intel 8086, 8088 or 80186 processors)."

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40752436/ … bounds-checking

Reply 2286 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hail-to-the-ryzen wrote on 2022-06-05, 18:42:

Read the recent commit on the BOUND instruction. Searched further and noted a post on its implementation. Seems there is a distinct 80188 cpu type.

"Technically, x86 does have hardware bounds-checking: the BOUND instruction was introduced in 1982 in the Intel 80188 (as well as the Intel 286 and above, but not the Intel 8086, 8088 or 80186 processors)."

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40752436/ … bounds-checking

Correct. The fix is that an invalid encoding (reg to reg) of BOUND caused a segfault NULL function pointer crash. I suggest checking the SVN source code and other branches for the same bug so that errant code doesn't crash the emulator in the same way.

Reply 2287 of 2397, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can anybody explain the different output options?

• Surface
  • Direct3d
  • OpenGL
  • OpenGL Nearest
  • OpenGL Perfect
  • TrueType

I'm also confused when the scaler options are applied.

For example, I've selected [Output -> OpenGL Perfect] and [Scaler -> RGB 2X] and I'm playing Duke Nukem 3D in 320x200. Fullscreen mode appears to take up 3/4 of the screen (native resolution is 3440x1440) but I don't see the RGB scaler effect.

Another example, is if I select [Output -> Direct3D] then fullscreen stretches the image to 3440x1440 even though [Aspect Ratio -> 4:3].

Final example, if I select [Output -> Direct3D] and [Scaler -> None] then fullscreen still fills the entire 3440x1440 screen. Shouldn't it just show the 320x200 image in the middle of the screen or similar?

I've tried the read the wiki the other documentation but I can't figure out the interaction between Output and Scaler, etc.

My goal is to have the most accurate image possible, integer scaled to the largest size possible.

Reply 2288 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gfernval wrote on 2022-06-01, 13:09:
Hello: […]
Show full quote

Hello:

I have compiled myseld the latest dosbox-x 0.84 source code, but the resultant binary complains about inet_ntop not found in ws2_32.dll
I run Windows XP ans such function is not available. In the source code, the file include\enet.h contais an implementation of inet_ntop (// inet_ntop/inet_pton for MingGW from http://mingw-users....) how to force to use this inet_ntop implentation instead the one defined inside ws2_32.dll?

thanks

For MinGW builds, only the 32-bit MinGW-lowend targets (both SDL1 and SDL2) are compatible with Windows XP. You can take a look at the Development Builds page below, select "32-bit MinGW builds", and download the zip file named “dosbox-x-mingw-win32-lowend-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx” (not “dosbox-x-mingw-win32-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx”) under “Artifacts”:

https://dosbox-x.com/devel-build.html

And the extracted binaries (SDL1 & SDL2) should run on Windows XP. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Wengier on 2022-06-11, 06:53. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2289 of 2397, by Wengier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sofakng wrote on 2022-06-09, 19:57:
Can anybody explain the different output options? […]
Show full quote

Can anybody explain the different output options?

• Surface
  • Direct3d
  • OpenGL
  • OpenGL Nearest
  • OpenGL Perfect
  • TrueType

I'm also confused when the scaler options are applied.

For example, I've selected [Output -> OpenGL Perfect] and [Scaler -> RGB 2X] and I'm playing Duke Nukem 3D in 320x200. Fullscreen mode appears to take up 3/4 of the screen (native resolution is 3440x1440) but I don't see the RGB scaler effect.

Another example, is if I select [Output -> Direct3D] then fullscreen stretches the image to 3440x1440 even though [Aspect Ratio -> 4:3].

Final example, if I select [Output -> Direct3D] and [Scaler -> None] then fullscreen still fills the entire 3440x1440 screen. Shouldn't it just show the 320x200 image in the middle of the screen or similar?

I've tried the read the wiki the other documentation but I can't figure out the interaction between Output and Scaler, etc.

My goal is to have the most accurate image possible, integer scaled to the largest size possible.

The outputs "Surface", "OpenGL", and "OpenGL Nearest" (a.k.a "openglnb") are basically the same as the ones in vanilla DOSBox and other DOSBox forks. "Direct3D" is the same as the counterpart in DOSBox SVN Daum, and "OpenGL Perfect" (a.k.a. "openglpp") is also largely the same as the counterpart in DOSBox Staging. As for TrueType font (TTF) output, it is essentially the main output of vDos(Plus), with some improvements such as CJK support in DOSBox-X.

For the aspect ratio, selections such as "Aspect Ratio -> 4:3" are only active when the "Fit to aspect ratio" option is enabled (i.e. "aspect=true"), which is available for outputs except TrueType. The image will still be enlarged for most outputs, but to the selected aspect ratio. If you just want the original image size in fullscreen mode, then try the surface output. The scalers are not designed for this purpose.

Meanwhile, I highly recommend you to also take a look at forks like DOSBox Staging or vanilla DOSBox, which I think may work better for your usage (with better defaults and/or enhancements for DOS gaming etc). Hope this helps.

Reply 2290 of 2397, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it me or Disney Sound Source is broken again? Coktel's games I tried that support Intersound MDO clone don't work anymore at least (it works with latest svn build like the EmuCR one). Please can somebody add this problem (and broken Ps1 audio card too) to Dosbox-x github? I registered some time ago but got flagged as "spammy" for some reason.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2291 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Myloch wrote on 2022-06-11, 23:09:

Is it me or Disney Sound Source is broken again? Coktel's games I tried that support Intersound MDO clone don't work anymore at least (it works with latest svn build like the EmuCR one). Please can somebody add this problem (and broken Ps1 audio card too) to Dosbox-x github? I registered some time ago but got flagged as "spammy" for some reason.

You either need to add disney=true (the DOSBox SVN way) or under the parallel section, add parallel1=disney (the DOSBox-X way).

See the reference .conf file for details.

Any issues with that, that may have been in 0.84.0, was probably fixed in the latest commits since that release.

Reply 2292 of 2397, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the hint!
In order to make Disney sound source work with those games I had to set disney=true AND parallel1=disney
About the ps1 audio card, I'm still failing to make it work correctly: it's either mute like in Bushbuck ("bushbuck /ps1" at commandline) or giving static/corrupt sounds like in Silpheed (v3.2).

I tried to contact Jmk, the original programmer because I wanted to ask him to update the Ibm Ps/1 audiocard driver for svn/dosbox-x without luck (his account is banned).

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 2293 of 2397, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are the correct setting(s) to use for G-SYNC?

I'm using an Acer X34 (100 Hz) G-SYNC monitor and have G-SYNC enabled for Fullscreen and Window modes.

When I'm running DosBox-X using OpenGL Perfect, I'm seeing about 18 FPS (Hz) at the command prompt. However, if I move my mouse around the window it goes near 30 FPS/Hz. Fullscreen mode also gives me 18 FPS/Hz but moving the mouse doesn't change anything.

When I run the classic Second Reality demo it drops to 10 FPS/Hz which seems incorrect and the video is stuttering and looks wrong.

I've set [CPU Core] -> [Normal Core] and [CPU Core] -> [Auto Cycles] and [CPU Type] -> [Auto]. I've also tried changing those settings but it didn't seem to help?

Reply 2294 of 2397, by TheGreatCodeholio

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sofakng wrote on 2022-06-13, 18:16:
What are the correct setting(s) to use for G-SYNC? […]
Show full quote

What are the correct setting(s) to use for G-SYNC?

I'm using an Acer X34 (100 Hz) G-SYNC monitor and have G-SYNC enabled for Fullscreen and Window modes.

When I'm running DosBox-X using OpenGL Perfect, I'm seeing about 18 FPS (Hz) at the command prompt. However, if I move my mouse around the window it goes near 30 FPS/Hz. Fullscreen mode also gives me 18 FPS/Hz but moving the mouse doesn't change anything.

When I run the classic Second Reality demo it drops to 10 FPS/Hz which seems incorrect and the video is stuttering and looks wrong.

I've set [CPU Core] -> [Normal Core] and [CPU Core] -> [Auto Cycles] and [CPU Type] -> [Auto]. I've also tried changing those settings but it didn't seem to help?

I'm not entirely sure how to develop DOSBox-X for G-SYNC or FreeSync support. I have tested DOSBox-X in Windows 10 on a 144Hz monitor though without *sync enabled.

Reply 2295 of 2397, by Monotremata

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheGreatCodeholio wrote on 2022-04-09, 00:27:

Run DOSBox-X with --debug or specify debug level logging. It should tell you what SDL/SDL2 returned when it asked for the R/G/B bitmasks.

16/256-color modes are well designed to match those bitmasks but I'm not sure the 16bpp/24bpp/32bpp modes are designed for anything but ARGB format, and that might be the problem.

On Mac OS X the worst case scenario is SDL1 and the traditional Cocoa API which likes an unusual BGRA format (blue in the upper 8 bits, alpha in the lower 8 bits), which is the opposite of ARGB (alpha in the upper 8 bits, blue in the lower 8 bits) and probably a holdover from the big-Endian era when Mac OS X ran on PowerPC. So the VGA line rendering code needs "byte swap" versions of >256-color modes, which might be easy to add.

Would this also cause an issue with CGA too?? I like to keep my games matched up with appropriate machine specs from the year they were released, so stuff like Wizardry and the early Ultimas are set to CGA machines. Wizardry 1 for example, the splash screen on 'normal' CGA has a black background with a red Wizardry logo.. Running it with the SDL2 DOSBox-X sets it to an alternate palette here, background comes out blue and the logo is an aqua color (sometimes its pink), etc.. Happens to any game I have set to a CGA machine. If I use the SDL1 DOSBox-X, everything works as it does with the actual DOSBox.

Here's the DOSBox Wizardry:
6GQI4pI.png

And the DOSBox-X Wizardry:
9nr65P9.png

The weird part is, it only displays like this in the DOSBox-X window. I initially used the screenshot command on the DOSBox-X menu to take that screenshot and doing that it comes out exactly like it should with the black background and red logo, but playing it in the actual window its the alternate palette??? I had to use the Mac's screenshot app to capture what it actually looks like on screen.

Reply 2296 of 2397, by joekucera2002

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m not sure where best to post this. I’m using DosBox-X to run Elder Scrolls Arena. It seems to work until I get to generating my character. It looks like the graphics are glitchy. Screenshot included. Anyone have any thoughts?

D497CC00-0A4A-460E-BC01-569F7A2A8267.jpeg
Filename
D497CC00-0A4A-460E-BC01-569F7A2A8267.jpeg
File size
123.77 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2297 of 2397, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using the 64-bit SDL1 VS build. I've installed windows 98 se and the latest Voodoo1 V3.01.00 drivers.

I've done the following steps to enable pass-through:

1. Added the following to windows' .conf file:

[voodoo]

voodoo_card=auto
voodoo_maxmem=true
glide=true
lfb=full_noaux
splash=false

2. Copied the dgvoodoo 64-bit Glide2x.dll to the dosbox-x folder.
3. Copied the patched glide2x.dll, downloaded from vogons, to the games' folders.

So far I've tried quake 2 and turok and both throw a "performed an illegal operation" error at launch. Turok simply closes, and quake 2 goes into software mode after the error.
The internal voodoo mode works; I can launch and play them both and the splash screen shows up for turok.

Last edited by eddman on 2022-07-11, 12:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2298 of 2397, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eddman wrote on 2022-07-10, 22:11:
I'm using the 64-bit SDL1 VS build. I've installed windows 98 se and the latest Voodoo1 V3.01.00 drivers. […]
Show full quote

I'm using the 64-bit SDL1 VS build. I've installed windows 98 se and the latest Voodoo1 V3.01.00 drivers.

I've done the following steps to enable pass-through:

1. Added the following to windows' .conf file:

[voodoo]

voodoo_card=auto
voodoo_maxmem=true
glide=true
lfb=full_noaux
splash=false

2. Copied the dgvoodoo 64-bit Glide2x.dll to the dosbox-x folder.
3. Copied the patched glide2x.dll, downloaded from vogons, to the games' folders.

So far I've tried quake 2 and turok and both throw a "performed an illegal operation" error at launch. Turok simply closes, and quake 2 goes into software mode after the error.
The native voodoo mode works; I can launch and play them both and the splash screen shows up for turok.

is that for a real voodoo or emulated cuz i have no carma 😀