VOGONS

Reply 1340 of 1688, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-05-19, 18:45:

I have noticed that on my screenshot the song title is missing.
Apparently it's not a screenshot glitch but my Wine version cannot handle properly GetCharacterPlacement/GetTextExtentPoint32 Win32 functions that the new version is using.
So I have disabled using these function if Wine is detected. Have not you noticed this problem with your Wine version?

I haven't noticed, because I use it for DOSBox. Now that I tried to play a MIDI file, the title is indeed missing. But the strange thing is that if I quit midiplayer while the song is playing and then start it again, the song title shows up fine. Until the next MIDI file is loaded, that is.

Reply 1341 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote on 2022-05-19, 18:53:

I haven't noticed, because I use it for DOSBox. Now that I tried to play a MIDI file, the title is indeed missing. But the strange thing is that if I quit midiplayer while the song is playing and then start it again, the song title shows up fine. Until the next MIDI file is loaded, that is.

Then try to download the new package(s) and report back. Thanks.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 1343 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another 32-channel KONAMI Midi file (SENSATIO.mid) rendered as 4-channel surround ogg file. It should be played at least on a 4/5.1 speaker setup. Channels 1-16 are assigned to front speakers and channels 17-32 to rear speakers.

Ps: Google Drive is so dumb that it always recognizes .ogg files as video files so direct playing from browsers is not possible. But Google Drive can be tricked by modifying the file extension to mp3. Modern browsers (tested with Chrome and Firefox) seems to detect files not by extension so they can play the ogg file properly in spite of the incorrect extension. If you download the file simply remove the .mp3 extension before trying to play it with desktop software.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/130osvDJoLKoi … w0aNnT_yxI/view

Original Midi file:

Filename
SENSATIO.zip
File size
66.45 KiB
Downloads
61 downloads
File license
Public domain

@Edit:
I have also uploaded the previously rendered 4-channel kikan_4ch.ogg to Google drive in case I remove it from my server later (lack of free storage space):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VDwxvFEC5p7F … H4MGj9K1S4/view

Previously uploaded original Midi file (KIKAN.mid):
download/file.php?id=136902

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2022-06-02, 11:01. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1344 of 1688, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-06-02, 10:14:

Ps: Google Drive is so dumb that it always recognizes .ogg files as video files

Ogg files containing only audio can have the extension ".oga" instead. This is a standard extension, recognized by media players and by Google Drive as well.

This should work for both Ogg/Vorbis and Ogg/Opus files.

Reply 1345 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote on 2022-06-02, 10:47:
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-06-02, 10:14:

Ps: Google Drive is so dumb that it always recognizes .ogg files as video files

Ogg files containing only audio can have the extension ".oga" instead. This is a standard extension, recognized by media players and by Google Drive as well.

This should work for both Ogg/Vorbis and Ogg/Opus files.

Hi,
Thanks, but it seems after upload I can rename the file (and also the extension) to anything, Google Drive keeps the initial category. So it seems the extension problem only affects the initial upload. So I have removed the .mp3 suffix and kept .ogg. Both files work perfectly this way.

@Edit:
Nope, this renaming function is only 'cosmetic', the downloaded file has the original extension(s). Nice, so it seems you cannot fix/modify anything after initial upload...

Last edited by Falcosoft on 2022-06-02, 11:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1347 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
realnc wrote on 2022-06-02, 11:02:

Yeah, you'll probably have to rename them locally, delete them in gdrive and reupload.

Then you have to request new links for the new sharings so I will not do this.

Reply 1349 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
M-HT wrote on 2022-06-03, 08:12:

What about uploading a new version of the file with new name ? That doesn't affect sharings.

It does affect sharing. You cannot associate the newly uploaded files to the same sharings, you have to generate new ones.
And the point is that everything is working also in the current state (actually removing the .mp3 suffix is also optional).

Reply 1351 of 1688, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So my audio interface went kaput and I can no longer communicate with my physical MT-32 until I get a new one. I'm trying to utilize MUNT VSTi in the meantime for composing. However, my DAW (Cakewalk by Bandlab) doesn't support sending sysex messages to VSTi's at all. I was wondering how possible it might be to add a feature to the MUNT VSTi to manually open SYX files for emulating the "dump" of its contents into MUNT VSTi's memory as a workaround. That would be the only way I can use it in Cakewalk. The only other way around is to run MIDI Player separately with MUNT VSTi loaded (or even the standard MUNT WDM MIDI driver frontend) and route the audio back into Cakewalk via "VA Cable" but that adds a significant amount of input latency that is just awful for performance. Using the MUNT VSTi directly in the DAW is the only way I've found so far that makes it comfortable to play. This is my only hangup with using MUNT VSTi for composition/performance.

For that matter, having a function to dump the current timbre memory to a SYX file the same way an MT-32 can dump its memory to its MIDI Out port might be nice as well. But that's an extra pipedream.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 1352 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote on 2022-06-15, 16:27:

So my audio interface went kaput and I can no longer communicate with my physical MT-32 until I get a new one. I'm trying to utilize MUNT VSTi in the meantime for composing. However, my DAW (Cakewalk by Bandlab) doesn't support sending sysex messages to VSTi's at all. I was wondering how possible it might be to add a feature to the MUNT VSTi to manually open SYX files for emulating the "dump" of its contents into MUNT VSTi's memory as a workaround. That would be the only way I can use it in Cakewalk. The only other way around is to run MIDI Player separately with MUNT VSTi loaded (or even the standard MUNT WDM MIDI driver frontend) and route the audio back into Cakewalk via "VA Cable" but that adds a significant amount of input latency that is just awful for performance. Using the MUNT VSTi directly in the DAW is the only way I've found so far that makes it comfortable to play. This is my only hangup with using MUNT VSTi for composition/performance.

For that matter, having a function to dump the current timbre memory to a SYX file the same way an MT-32 can dump its memory to its MIDI Out port might be nice as well. But that's an extra pipedream.

Hi,
I suspect you are the one who also sent me an email about this same issue.
1. OK, as a fast solution now you can Drag&Drop .syx files to the main user interface of the plugin. Notice that the SysEx sequence is directly sent to the mt32emu synth engine bypassing the frontend's SysEx parser so only native MT-32 SysEx messages work, GM/GS/XG SysEx resets do not.
2. I do not think I will implement such SysEx dump feature in the near future. Maybe you can convince Serg to implement this at the core library level and make an API call for dumping timbre states.

Other:
I have added GS/XG/GM2 style multiple drum channel support to Munt VSTi. More precisely in Dual synth GM mode one more Drum/Percussion channel is supported on the 2nd synth besides channel 10 on the 1st synth.
So to use the 2nd drum channel you have to use either channel 9, or 11-16. Based on my experiences 99% of Midi files that use a 2nd Drum channel use one of these channels.
The easiest way to set the 2nd Drum channel manually is either sending XG Reset and setting Bank MSB to 127 or sending GM2 Reset and setting Bank MSB to 120 on any channels of the 2nd synth.
Drum channels now are colored green on the interface of the plugin.
I have also added some test files that use 2 Drum channels to the test zip:
https://falcosoft.hu/munt_vsti_test.zip

Multiple drum channel support is also added to OPL3VSTi. In case of OPL3VSTi there are no such channel restrictions as in case of Munt VSTi. Any channel can be a Drum channel.
You can set Drum channels manually the same way as written above.
https://falcosoft.hu/opl3_vsti_test.zip

I'm aware that full GS/XG/GM2 support is not a realistic option for such plugins but playing melodic instruments where drums are expected is the most disturbing aspect of GM only support.

Reply 1353 of 1688, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beautiful, thank you! More than enough to meet my needs!

And yes, I was the one who also emailed you. I emailed you before I found this thread and figured this would be a better place to post so more could see.

EDIT: Hmm it seems I cannot drag and drop onto the VSTi when it's loaded in my DAW. I can via your MIDI Player program however. Cakewalk is launched as administrator on my system however if I launch Explorer as administrator as well and drag and drop it still does not work.

EDIT 2: No worries, I can just launch Cakewalk without admin privileges. This causes some of my VSTs not to function, but in this case it's not a big deal. It will be nice in the future to have buttons in the UI to load SYX files manually as well. But this works in the interim!

My Github

Reply 1354 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MusicallyInspired wrote on 2022-06-16, 00:24:
Beautiful, thank you! More than enough to meet my needs! […]
Show full quote

Beautiful, thank you! More than enough to meet my needs!

And yes, I was the one who also emailed you. I emailed you before I found this thread and figured this would be a better place to post so more could see.

EDIT: Hmm it seems I cannot drag and drop onto the VSTi when it's loaded in my DAW. I can via your MIDI Player program however. Cakewalk is launched as administrator on my system however if I launch Explorer as administrator as well and drag and drop it still does not work.

EDIT 2: No worries, I can just launch Cakewalk without admin privileges. This causes some of my VSTs not to function, but in this case it's not a big deal. It will be nice in the future to have buttons in the UI to load SYX files manually as well. But this works in the interim!

It's a known problem that affects Explorer:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/archive/blog … ontrol-and-uipi

The best solution is to only use drag and drop between the same MIC levels. With UAC enabled, Windows Explorer will run at a medium MIC level. Therefore, your application (Notepad in our example) needs to run at medium (or lower) MIC level. The bottom line is that drag and drop from Windows Explorer will not work if your application is elevated.

However this problem does not affect e.g. Total Commander. If you start Total Commander elevated you can use Drag&Drop with your elevated Cakewalk.

Reply 1355 of 1688, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh fantastic. Thanks for the tip.

My Github

Reply 1356 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an emergency update I have uploaded version 6.1.1 of FSMP
https://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer

I hope you trust me so I do not have to excuse myself because Google Safe Browsing flagged version 6.1 as malicious...

So not much changed since version 6.1, just some cosmetic fixes. New versions of Munt VSTi and OPL3 VSTi with multiple drum channel support are also added.
Munt VSTi now also supports drag&drop of .syx files.
In the uploaded latest version drag&drop of GM/GS/XG Sysex files that are recognized by the plugin frontend are also supported.

Reply 1357 of 1688, by nmonte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, Falco!
"Remove dead items" is not doing anything. Noticed it in older versions, but only now me noticing it and visiting VOGONS coincided 😀
Tested on 2 different PCs, each one is Win 7 x64 though.

Another thing, I'd like to ask you kindly to add an ability to remove file from playlist and delete file from disk in one go.

Thank you for this great player, which have risen in my ranks from useful to indispensable.

Reply 1358 of 1688, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nmonte wrote on 2022-07-06, 14:49:
Hi, Falco! "Remove dead items" is not doing anything. Noticed it in older versions, but only now me noticing it and visiting VOG […]
Show full quote

Hi, Falco!
"Remove dead items" is not doing anything. Noticed it in older versions, but only now me noticing it and visiting VOGONS coincided 😀
Tested on 2 different PCs, each one is Win 7 x64 though.

Another thing, I'd like to ask you kindly to add an ability to remove file from playlist and delete file from disk in one go.

Thank you for this great player, which have risen in my ranks from useful to indispensable.

Hi,
1. Actually it is, but most likely you do not have dead items in the sense FSMP thinks they are dead.
Add this test BadMidi.mid to your playlist and then press the 'Remove dead items' menu item.

Filename
BadMidi.zip
File size
1.25 KiB
Downloads
53 downloads
File license
Public domain

But you are right that in older times this option's functionality was more obvious since FSMP had not removed non-existing files at startup. Now it removes all non-existing items from playlist when you start it. Also it was easier to add invalid files to playlist since only file extension was considered. Now FSMP detects file types by signature not by extension.
Maybe I should extend 'Remove dead items' to remove all non-existing items in real time also (that is files that existed when the player started but have been removed since) .

2. Sincerely I'm very reluctant to add such a feature. So far FSMP has not done anything destructive with file system objects. And many have asked already if 'Remove item(s)' really removes items only from playlist since they are afraid of deleting of files .
So I do not think deleting files from file system has a place in FSMP's feature list.

@Edit:
Here is a new test version that also removes files that existed when the player started but have been removed since.
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_62_test.zip