What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 4100 of 5931, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-07-06, 13:18:

I played Oblivion for a while on PC and after the initial graphics wow was over it felt like the game felt like walking around on a procedurally generated generic fantasy world with random procedurally generated dungeons and level scaling foes. And after five or so hours in I realized that it was almost precisely exactly that. Then I stopped playing and never returned.

What you're describing kind of is the elder scrolls as a whole, especially the first two.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 4101 of 5931, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2022-07-06, 21:02:

I played Oblivion for a while on PC and after the initial graphics wow was over it felt like the game felt like walking around on a procedurally generated generic fantasy world with random procedurally generated dungeons and level scaling foes. And after five or so hours in I realized that it was almost precisely exactly that. Then I stopped playing and never returned.

What you're describing kind of is the elder scrolls as a whole, especially the first two.

Arena I never played. Daggerfall, I never got the hype. I tried it twice and never got very far.

Morrowind though captured me like very few RPGs can.

Oblivion and Skyrim lost me again. I guess Elder Scrolls in general are not for me and Morrowind is the outlier 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 4103 of 5931, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A little game from 1998 from Aussie developers Ratbag Software called Powerslide, its quite a great post apocalyptic racing game similar to Rollcage but with an Aussie twist.

https://www.gog.com/game/powerslide

Im not affiliated with GOG obviously but if anyone wants to see pictures and get a general idea of the game there really is no better place than GOG.

Reply 4104 of 5931, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Toca Race Driver on WinXP with new USB steering wheel Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara on Pentium 4 with Asus V7700Ti Deluxe (Geforce 2 Ti) with 3d VR glasses (Asus VR-100) on 100 Hz CRT monitor! Next stop: Grand Prix 2 in WinXP using VDMSound and USB steering wheel.

Reply 4105 of 5931, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyberluke wrote on 2022-07-07, 09:43:

Toca Race Driver on WinXP with new USB steering wheel Thrustmaster T300 Alcantara on Pentium 4 with Asus V7700Ti Deluxe (Geforce 2 Ti) with 3d VR glasses (Asus VR-100) on 100 Hz CRT monitor! Next stop: Grand Prix 2 in WinXP using VDMSound and USB steering wheel.

GP2 was quite the upgrade over GP1 back in the day .. owning a PC that could run it in all its SVGA glory was a dream, I never owned a PC that could do it justice back then but I got my monies worth from GP1 and I got far too good at it and Indy 500. Now days I do have a PC that could chew GP2 up and spit it out so I think its time I went back and relived a few memories 😁.

Reply 4106 of 5931, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Don't forget there is GP2 expansion CD and be sure to check out this tutorial on how to make it working in Win XP (http://grandprix2.de/wissen/gp2_xp/gp2_xp2.html). Win98 will work as well. I have big box CD version and GP2 expansion on CD. Hit me up in PM, if you need help with anything 😉

Reply 4107 of 5931, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyberluke wrote on 2022-07-07, 09:53:

Don't forget there is GP2 expansion CD and be sure to check out this tutorial on how to make it working in Win XP (http://grandprix2.de/wissen/gp2_xp/gp2_xp2.html). Win98 will work as well. I have big box CD version and GP2 expansion on CD. Hit me up in PM, if you need help with anything 😉

I have a rather nice 98/DOS retro box ill be running it on, already got the ISO files for it just need to burn the discs and go install it !

Reply 4108 of 5931, by cyberluke

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I guess you play on a keyboard then. I have my room with 10 computers here. I will try it on DOS machine as well. I need to find some people in Central Europe, who can travel to Prague, some Vogons, that would play locally 😀

Reply 4109 of 5931, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyberluke wrote on 2022-07-07, 10:08:

Ok, I guess you play on a keyboard then. I have my room with 10 computers here. I will try it on DOS machine as well. I need to find some people in Central Europe, who can travel to Prague, some Vogons, that would play locally 😀

Extra toys to play old games with would be nice but im more than fine with keyboard too, in a way it has its own set of challenges and learning curve, as for central Europe .. thats quite a walk from here 🤣 ..about 15,000 Km in a straight line most of it in the water.

Reply 4110 of 5931, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2022-07-07, 06:59:
Arena I never played. Daggerfall, I never got the hype. I tried it twice and never got very far. […]
Show full quote
BetaC wrote on 2022-07-06, 21:02:

Arena I never played. Daggerfall, I never got the hype. I tried it twice and never got very far.

Morrowind though captured me like very few RPGs can.

Oblivion and Skyrim lost me again. I guess Elder Scrolls in general are not for me and Morrowind is the outlier 😁

Arena can be fun with a premade map and a guide telling you where to actually go for the main (and basically only one worth doing) quest.

And playing daggerfall afterwards makes daggerfall feel like a much better game.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 4111 of 5931, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stress testing the Sega CD Model 2 for my Genesis Model 1 by playing Secret of Monkey Island. I burnt a copy of the game and my plan is to buy an actual copy along with other titles so it doesn't stutter every 5 seconds. It's not the laser that's bad, the burn quality on a CD-R from a laptop is horrible.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 4112 of 5931, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I never get tired of NOLF 😀
EJhedqs.png
V4ecEWH.png

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM

Reply 4113 of 5931, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Having recently finished replaying the original Max Payne, I'm now moving on to the sequel. Graphics seem to be hit and miss. Some characters are very detailed while others seem like unfinished models. Environments look great though.

OTOH, I'm very impressed with the sound improvements. Surround sound was handled pretty well in the original, but Max Payne 2 takes it up a notch. I'm playing with 5.1 speakers, and a few times I almost turned around to check if the sound was coming from my room or from the game.

The physics somehow got worse though, as in any object that Max lightly brushes against instantly flies away. But wonky physics are the norm for the early 2000s I suppose. On the plus side, the combat feels smoother this time around. I'm still very early in the game, so we'll see how that develops.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4114 of 5931, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote on 2022-07-03, 13:30:

Already on it, amigo. 😀

btw... RoboCop: Rogue City gameplay footage just dropped. From the same dev as Terminator: Resistance. Yeah, I'm on this like ____ on ____!

Reply 4115 of 5931, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2022-07-08, 18:55:

Having recently finished replaying the original Max Payne, I'm now moving on to the sequel. Graphics seem to be hit and miss. Some characters are very detailed while others seem like unfinished models. Environments look great though.

OTOH, I'm very impressed with the sound improvements. Surround sound was handled pretty well in the original, but Max Payne 2 takes it up a notch. I'm playing with 5.1 speakers, and a few times I almost turned around to check if the sound was coming from my room or from the game.

The physics somehow got worse though, as in any object that Max lightly brushes against instantly flies away. But wonky physics are the norm for the early 2000s I suppose. On the plus side, the combat feels smoother this time around. I'm still very early in the game, so we'll see how that develops.

Max Payne was amazing. I especially love the cutscenes in-between missions. I don't remember th second one, but I think you had one of those Russian sniper rifles I can't remember the name of.

Reply 4116 of 5931, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2022-07-09, 14:30:

Max Payne was amazing. I especially love the cutscenes in-between missions. I don't remember th second one, but I think you had one of those Russian sniper rifles I can't remember the name of.

Yeah, the graphic novel plot stuff is very well done. And I just got to the part where you get to play as Mona with the Dragunov rifle and it's been awesome indeed. That said, managing the health bars of two characters simultaneously (one of which is controlled by the AI) was quite a challenge. But I got through it somehow, and now it's off to the last third of the game. Looks like this one is fairly short too.

BTW, I'm still highly impressed by the positional audio and EAX use in this game. Occlusion effects from people talking behind closed doors are implemented very nicely, as are the thunderstorm noises when it's raining outside and the muffled ambient sounds like dogs barking in the distance.

I checked the EAX.DLL which ships with the game and it's EAX Unified version 3.0.1.0. This leads me to believe that the game can use up to EAX3 on sound cards which support it.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4117 of 5931, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-07-09, 13:57:
clueless1 wrote on 2022-07-03, 13:30:

Already on it, amigo. 😀

btw... RoboCop: Rogue City gameplay footage just dropped. From the same dev as Terminator: Resistance. Yeah, I'm on this like ____ on ____!

Ooohhh! That looks like it'll be fun 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 4118 of 5931, by Dolenc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rune!

I got this game with the gpu, at that time. Not bad, but didnt really blow me away, think I got about half way through, got lost and just said fuck it.

Well I guess my taste changed, one of the best melee hack and slash games I played! Enjoyed it from start to finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFsCs6DKLYs

Attachments

• 2.png
    Filename
    2.png
    File size
    1.98 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • glide0024.png
    Filename
    glide0024.png
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • glide0022.png
    Filename
    glide0022.png
    File size
    1.29 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • glide0010.png
    Filename
    glide0010.png
    File size
    1.14 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4119 of 5931, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2022-07-09, 13:57:

Now we're talking! I heart RoboCop.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.