VOGONS

Socket 7 build, which direction should I go?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
timw4mail wrote on 2022-08-05, 19:04:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-03, 19:30:

But how hard are Rise chips to source these days? I kind of figured it was practically vaporware at this point.

It seems like the iDragon (2.0V version) shows up more often than the originals, but that's also generally what you want.

Yes, but I usually only see it in BGA . That doesn't help me much, 🤣

Reply 21 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well update: Soyo board arrived....and even after replacing all the "visually" failing capacitors, I still can't get it to post. Tried three four chips, different known good RAM/Video etc.
It powers on and off fine, chips get warm but no beeps and no post.

I don't have a post card so that sucks.
I bought two boards though, I also have a Tekram p5mvp-b4 on the way. Maybe it will be a better experience.
Not giving up on the Soyo but might get shelved for a rainy day.

Reply 22 of 73, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-05, 22:44:
Well update: Soyo board arrived....and even after replacing all the "visually" failing capacitors, I still can't get it to post. […]
Show full quote

Well update: Soyo board arrived....and even after replacing all the "visually" failing capacitors, I still can't get it to post. Tried three four chips, different known good RAM/Video etc.
It powers on and off fine, chips get warm but no beeps and no post.

I don't have a post card so that sucks.
I bought two boards though, I also have a Tekram p5mvp-b4 on the way. Maybe it will be a better experience.
Not giving up on the Soyo but might get shelved for a rainy day.

What revision is your board? I have an Sy-5EMA+ 1.1 and (so far) the capacitors show no signs of failure.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 23 of 73, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have a SY-5EMA. The caps are still good. But there has been known issues with the memory slots themselves. Have you tried moving a known good memory stick through each slot? I have a bad slot 2, which if a stick is inserted, it will not post.

Reply 24 of 73, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just noted you said you were going to try a voodoo 3 agp in the board in the first post. Did you try this card and any other card (pci & agp)? I have a voodoo 3 agp as well, and while it does work, just want to make sure you checked this.

Reply 25 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-08-06, 00:26:

I also have a SY-5EMA. The caps are still good. But there has been known issues with the memory slots themselves. Have you tried moving a known good memory stick through each slot? I have a bad slot 2, which if a stick is inserted, it will not post.

Where is the revision marked? I think it is a 1.1 as I used the ultimate retro site to verify jumper settings and all the pictures and what not lined up.

I wasn't aware of the ram slot issue. I know I tried two slots. Not sure past that. I will have to check.

Reply 26 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-08-06, 00:30:

I just noted you said you were going to try a voodoo 3 agp in the board in the first post. Did you try this card and any other card (pci & agp)? I have a voodoo 3 agp as well, and while it does work, just want to make sure you checked this.

I didn't use either of my Voodoo's yet, was just testing the board. I tried with a few spares. A Radeon 9250 AGP, a Radeon Mobilty 2x card and A Trident 9680 PCI.

Reply 27 of 73, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-06, 18:49:

I didn't use either of my Voodoo's yet, was just testing the board. I tried with a few spares. A Radeon 9250 AGP, a Radeon Mobilty 2x card and A Trident 9680 PCI.

I have not tried a Radeon 92xx AGP in my system I believe. A bit too new for me. Not sure which mobility card you have? I have tried a Trident 9680 and it works.

Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-06, 18:47:

Where is the revision marked? I think it is a 1.1 as I used the ultimate retro site to verify jumper settings and all the pictures and what not lined up.

It should be silkscreened in between the PCI slots just after where the board model name appears. Some do not have a version number. Like mine, it just shows SY-5EMAPRO, which I think is the last version they made. They are all basically the same though, so I'd not be concerned about UR. I've tried from Pentium MMX 233 to K6-2/3 of various speeds including plus variants, and it runs them fine so the settings there are good. I think during post you could see the version number more exactly. But since it's not a go so far, what CPU did you try?

Last edited by the3dfxdude on 2022-08-08, 01:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the3dfxdude wrote on 2022-08-06, 20:12:
I have not tried a Radeon 92xx AGP in my system I believe. A bit too new for me. Not sure which mobility card you have? I have t […]
Show full quote
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-06, 18:49:

I have not tried a Radeon 92xx AGP in my system I believe. A bit too new for me. Not sure which mobility card you have? I have tried a Trident 9680 and it works.

Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-06, 18:47:

It should be silkscreened in between the PCI slots just after where the board model name appears. Some do not have a version number. Like mine, it just shows SY-5EMAPRO, which I think is the last version they made. They are all basically the same though, so I'd not be concerned about UR. I've tried from Pentium MMX 233 to K6-2/3 of various speeds including plus variants, and it runs them fine so the settings there are good. I think during post you could see the version number more exactly. But since it's not a go so far, what CPU did you try?

IT LIVES!

My stupid flu addled brain neglected to tell me to double check the DRAM/AGP clock jumpers. Once I set them to match 66mhz (testing with a PMMX) it posted right up.
Thanks everyone for all of the help. BTW I don't see a revision numner just S5EMA+

Reply 29 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it just me or are the replies messed up on the above two replies?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 30 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-07, 03:03:

Is it just me or are the replies messed up on the above two replies?

Not you, I think I screwed up with the reply quote.

Reply 31 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To update: Soyo board after the recap and a good cleaning is working perfectly.
Tekram board arrived in nos packaging with original box, manual and io brackets/risers. Even new IDE and floppy cables. Unfortunately it won't post. Powers on but no post, no beep codes either. I contacted the website I bought it from and they are sending a "tested" replacement.

I purchased it from here:
http://cccomputersales.com/

Paid $19 plus shipping. Seems pretty cheap. They also have some Gigabyte GA5aa boards for like $25.

Really slow shipping but friendly service.

Reply 32 of 73, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's good news on the Soyo. Unfortunately, those boards don't offer the CMOS option of memory bank interleaving but the memory interleave enabler works just as well and noticeably improves the memory bandwidth. https://soggi.org/misc/tools.htm

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 33 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-08-13, 19:41:

That's good news on the Soyo. Unfortunately, those boards don't offer the CMOS option of memory bank interleaving but the memory interleave enabler works just as well and noticeably improves the memory bandwidth. https://soggi.org/misc/tools.htm

Awesome, I will have to try this out.

Reply 34 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-05, 15:07:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-04, 21:24:
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-04, 13:10:

Yeah I added it my watchlist. Pins look a little ragged but not too bad, everything looks workable.
I see a chip in the ceramic in one corner but that shouldn't be and issue.

I would assume that the 2.0v chips are better overclockers as opposed to the 2.9v chips?

Look at the back if the black square is small and voltage is low that is the one you want.

Ok, that is good to know. Thank you.

Quick update. I purchased the above referenced MII chip.
When I receive it maybe I can get the build together and update the thread.
Thanks again Sphere478 for the advice on which chips to look for.

Reply 35 of 73, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

any time 😀 fingers crossed for 350 mhz :p

don't go above 2.4v.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 36 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-08-17, 17:23:

any time 😀 fingers crossed for 350 mhz :p

don't go above 2.4v.

That will be the hope!
I was able to put together the Soyo build yesterday.
I tested two of K6+ chips and one of them was happy to hit 600mhz with 2.1v.
So that was good news!

That now leaves me with two other Socket 7 boards the aforementioned PC Chips m571 and the supposedly tested working replacement Tekram (MVP3) board.
So now I have to decide which board to use with the Cyrix, and whether or not I want to use my second K6+ chip in the other board...or if that is too redundant.
Decisions, decisions....

Reply 37 of 73, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just bought a Rise MP6 266 today, seller from Taiwan still has 10 or so.

No idea how long it’ll take to get to me so it’s a bit of a gamble. Hopefully they are legit.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-08-19, 14:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 73, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-19, 14:07:

That is cool.
Do you mind telling me what market you bought it from? eBay or another source?

Reply 39 of 73, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2022-08-19, 14:08:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-08-19, 14:07:

That is cool.
Do you mind telling me what market you bought it from? eBay or another source?

Yup ebay, won’t say they are cheap so it’s up to you if you want to take a gamble.

I like a gamble and the pay off if it’s legitimate is a rather unique CPU, thankfully I can get my money back if it’s a dud.