VOGONS

First post, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried booting from a MS-DOS 5 setup disk (an original 360K one) on a IBM PC Portable in the past. If I remember correctly it didn't boot, but it did boot from a IBM DOS 3.2 startup disk. I wonder whether the BIOS revisions have anything to do with that? Are there IBM BIOS versions of the IBM PC that don't work with MS-DOS 5? I couldn't really find any info about this Googling around.

Reply 1 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi! I don't think MS-DOS 5 itself is the problem.
Like MS-DOS 6.xx, it's quite compatible to MS-DOS 3.x, also because it uses the same kernal type (MS-DOS 4 was different).

I guess it has to do with the floppy format, number of tracks per sector (8 vs 9) or something.

Or, it's somehow related to the boot loader routine, maybe.
Early DOSes had the ability to load the core system files into memory within a single pass.
That's because they fitted into a single storage unit on floppy.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote on 2022-08-03, 12:22:

I've tried booting from a MS-DOS 5 setup disk (an original 360K one) on a IBM PC Portable in the past. If I remember correctly it didn't boot, but it did boot from a IBM DOS 3.2 startup disk. I wonder whether the BIOS revisions have anything to do with that? Are there IBM BIOS versions of the IBM PC that don't work with MS-DOS 5? I couldn't really find any info about this Googling around.

Just an idea, the setup of MS-DOS 5 requires more that 256K RAM which is the standard amount of the IBM PC portable (I believe it needs 384 or 512KB). If the RAM was not expanded that might well be the reason. It should boot from a DOS 5 start up disk though, just not the setup disk.

Reply 3 of 13, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2022-08-06, 14:25:

Just an idea, the setup of MS-DOS 5 requires more that 256K RAM which is the standard amount of the IBM PC portable (I believe it needs 384 or 512KB). If the RAM was not expanded that might well be the reason. It should boot from a DOS 5 start up disk though, just not the setup disk.

First disk of MS-DOS 5 is called setup, not start up nor install like MS-DOS 4:

DSC_1660b.jpg
Filename
DSC_1660b.jpg
File size
286.59 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's unfortunate that I don't have an IBM PC anymore, but I would definitely like to experiment to see what the problem is.

Reply 4 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2022-08-06, 18:34:

DOS 5 has an autoexec.bat that launches the setup program, and unlike 6, there aren't any keys you can push or hold down to bypass that. You have to wait for it to launch and then F3 to get out. So to debug further it'd really depend on whether it just hangs silently with a blinking cursor, shows an error message, etc.
I'm not familiar with DOS 4; too young and always understood it to be the Windows Vista/8 of its time 😁
I suppose you could play with PCem and different BIOSes/memory sizes to see if you can reproduce the issue.

Reply 5 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2022-08-06, 14:25:

Hi there! Perhaps that's right in general,
but I've run MS-DOS 6.20 on a 286 motherboard (full AT) with a ceramic CPU
and 256KB DIP RAM (on board) in the past..
It was a custom bootable floppy, though.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote on 2022-08-06, 18:34:

Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-06, 19:53:
Hi there! Perhaps that's right in general, but I've run MS-DOS 6.20 on a 286 motherboard (full AT) with a ceramic CPU and 256KB […]
Show full quote

Hi there! Perhaps that's right in general,
but I've run MS-DOS 6.20 on a 286 motherboard (full AT) with a ceramic CPU
and 256KB DIP RAM (on board) in the past..
It was a custom bootable floppy, though.

The "setup" disk will run the installation program automatically. This won't succeed on a PC with 256KB RAM, which is the default amount an IBM PC portable has.
I call "start up" disk a disk created with format /s or sys, which only boots to the prompt. Such a disk should work, as Jo22 says too.

Reply 8 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MarkP wrote on 2022-08-07, 09:31:

There are a few version of MS Dos 5.00. The original release which had some hickups and MS Dos 5a with these bugs cleaned up.

+1
I second that.

There were at least two versions of MS-DOS 5!

The exact revision can be checked with VER /R

Attachments

• fat.gif
    Filename
    fat.gif
    File size
    2.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

//My video channel//

Reply 10 of 13, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-07, 17:30:
+1 I second that. […]
Show full quote

+1
I second that.

"Formatting 3260M" in MS-DOS 5.00 ?
But how?
Sectors larger than 512 Bytes?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 11 of 13, by MarkP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2022-08-08, 14:10:
"Formatting 3260M" in MS-DOS 5.00 ? But how? Sectors larger than 512 Bytes? […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2022-08-07, 17:30:
+1 I second that. […]
Show full quote

+1
I second that.

"Formatting 3260M" in MS-DOS 5.00 ?
But how?
Sectors larger than 512 Bytes?

Magic wand maybe.

Reply 12 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's been a while.. There's a patch for that.
Technically, that should also work with MS-DOS 6.xx, but that didn't exist at the time yet,
so things must be done manually via hex editor.

Re: Browsing a harddisk under DOS without using BIOS routines (INT13H)

Short explanation:
Re: HDD recognition issues.

Edit: Speaking of the hang of MS-DOS 5 on the IBM..
It seems to happen with MS-DOS 6.22, too.

Maybe it's really the setup program.
Renaming autoexec.bat to autoexec.bak or editing it should stop making setup run automatically.

Alternatively, it's possible to press F5 during boot or to press CTRL-C, to aboard loading stuff.
The F5 thing may already work in DOS 5 ?, but not F8 (single-stepping through autoexec.bat/config.sys).

https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/ms- … -xt-5160.33931/

Edit: I forgot to mention.. MS-DOS 6.22 itself does work fine on an 8088/XT PC.
I've been using it for years on my XT compatible.
And the PC/XT emulator PCE did use MS-DOS 5, too.

//My video channel//

Reply 13 of 13, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS 5.0 came with the First 486 computer I purchased back in 1993
Worked fine.

I would say go threw the install process and reboot.
It it does not boot try to SYS the C:

# A:\SYS C:
Reboot