VOGONS

First post, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mobo is asus tx-97-e. This is a project computer i have been working on for a while. I recently replaced about 4 bulging caps on it. However i can still not get a full hdd recognition and start DOS instillation. The bios is detecting the hard drive but it hangs in the self check when searching for ide drive. I am using an 80 gb drive which is set to master on its own ide channel. I have limited the drive to an 8gb partition fat 16 format. I had read that older machines sometimes have difficulty with larger drives over 32 gb and that DOS will not read anything above 8. The bios is detecting the drive and its limit. Not sure what to do.....

Reply 1 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 32GB limit is a bug common for socket 7/slot 1 era. BIOS made before 1999 will have the bug and will hang when a bigger drive is detected. There are several ways of solving this : - update the bios to a newer version (the tx97 must have one)
- Set the drive to a incorrect geometry in the bios and install Ontrack disk manager

DOS 4 to 7.0 cannot read over 8GB indeed. However DOS 7.1 can read FAT32 partitions, so you can use that instead if you're not willing to run windows 3.11 (which can be run if you patch one DOS file), you will get a total access to the drive

Also, you don't need to make your own FAT 16 partition, FDISK will just ignore anything beyond 8GB. Also a single 8GB partition in FAT16 is incorrect for DOS use. Biggest partition possible in DOS 4-7.0 is 2GB, but you can make 4 of them to have access to 8GB, so you'll need to re partition your disk.

Last edited by Deksor on 2019-04-07, 23:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 13, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
image1.jpeg
Filename
image1.jpeg
File size
38.88 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
image1 (1).jpeg
Filename
image1 (1).jpeg
File size
31.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Here are some photos if it will help anyone.

Reply 3 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can get a patched bios here that will let you use big HDDs (up to 128GB) : http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … 30&f=16&t=26232

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 4 of 13, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deksor wrote:

The 32GB limit is a bug common for socket 7/slot 1 era. BIOS made before 1999 will have the bug and will hang when a bigger drive is detected. There are several ways of solving this : - update the bios to a newer version (the tx97 must have one)
- Set the drive to a incorrect geometry in the bios and install Ontrack disk manager

DOS 4 to 7.0 cannot read over 8GB indeed. However DOS 7.1 can read FAT32 partitions, so you can use that instead if you're not willing to run windows 3.11 (which can be run if you patch one DOS file), you will get a total access to the drive

I have updated to the newest bios 122.001 on the asus website. Windows 3.1 would be fine i just cant get far enough to install it. How do i set it to an incorrect geometry? Also will DOS read a full 8gb or would it have to be a total of 8gb as smaller partitions? I have read somewhere also that another way to possibly get around it is an ide/sata controller. Do you have an opinion on this? However I may just try to do an sd/compact flash to IDE since they are not expensive and i can get the right size cards easily.

Reply 6 of 13, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the latest bios seem to be from 1998, so it's still too old ... There's a patched bios in the link I've posted, this should give you the ability to use any drive up to 128GB.

Yes this is 8GB by stacking each partitions, one partition can be 2GB large at most in DOS 4-7.0 and there's a maximum of 4.

IDE to sata controller would probably work, but it's kinda overkill for such a computer, and sata drives smaller than 32GB must be very rare, except SSDs perhaps ? A IDE to SD card would work very well for your needs !

Reply 7 of 13, by deleted_nk

User metadata

If the patched bios didn't solve your issue, does the 80GB drive have a jumper setting for limiting capacity? If it does, it should limit it to a reasonable value that the older BIOS should be able to detect without hanging the system. Otherwise I'll agree with using an IDE to SD interface, those work great for older machines

Reply 8 of 13, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE!!! VERY HAPPY CAMPER!!! Thankyou guys especially you Deksor.

Deksor wrote:

You can get a patched bios here that will let you use big HDDs (up to 128GB) : http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php? … 30&f=16&t=26232

This ended up working more or less. It got me past the post hang and I was able to create a partition with Fdisk and install DOS and the DOS started pack.
Now question about disk support. Since this bios lets me surpass the disk limitations, is there any way to surpass or patch the DOS limitations? I plan to use this pc strictly for DOS games but prefer to do full install from disk. I know there is DOS 7 and freeDOS but there are compatibility issues. Its not a huge deal because I do have another retro machine (P4 build) but I wanted to have some space on this one for games that need an older a slower clock speed and ISA sound.

Reply 9 of 13, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, you don't need to make your own FAT 16 partition, FDISK will just ignore anything beyond 8GB. Also a single 8GB partition in FAT16 is incorrect for DOS use. Biggest partition possible in DOS 4-7.0 is 2GB, but you can make 4 of them to have access to 8GB, so you'll need to re partition your disk.

Also interesting thing i noted. Dos 6.22 installer made a 4gb partition not multiple 2gb partitions.

Reply 10 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gixxxer wrote:

Also interesting thing i noted. Dos 6.22 installer made a 4gb partition not multiple 2gb partitions.

Interesting, indeed. Under certain circumstances (i.e. oddball BIOS, patched), DOS 5/6 at its core can handle between 3GB and 4GB for each FAT16 partition.
It mainly depends on the BIOS, however. Also, a lot of third party utilites don't support that.
See screenshot -> Re: Intel VS440FX refuses to boot DOS 6.22 from detected SSD

PS: Older OEM DOSes and clones had variable sector sizes (default=512 Bytes per sector),
which made it possible to break the barriers of the time (original FAT16 had a 32MB limit on DOS 3.x or so).

Edit: Ok, I'm not sure if I can explain that well, but in simple words, for example,
it's possible to alter DOS 5/6's system files to handle more than 1024 cylinders.
This requires a BIOS that reports more than 1024 cylinders via int13h (not the extended one).
Even though IBM's AT BIOS had that limit by default (10bits only), later AT-Bus hard disks usually didn't expose that limit (~4096cyl).

Now, some clone BIOSes could handle ~4095 cylinders -via classic int13h- by using 2 more bits in the DH register (12bits),
which can be taken advantage of to let DOS see more than 1024 cylinders (beware cyl. 1023 is a diagnostic cylinder).
The BIOS inside of Virtual PC 200x falls into this category, for example.
Other BIOSes may limit the int13h in order to maintain maximum copatibility with mainstream OSes.

Another requirement is that the BIOS uses the fixed disk parameters blocks int41h/int46h, respectively, for hard disk #0 and #1.
That's required for FDISK. Once FDISK is modified, it can use these two ints instead of int13h, function 08 to retrieve the maximum cylinder count.
(If it is misbehaving for what ever reason, I imagine it could be encouraged to do the same without modification.)
DOS itelf is quite easy to please. During boot-up it looks for a partitio table with a partition that's within a length of 1024 cylinders
and once found, uses that and calculates the end of it by using the 32-Bit sector count in the partition table.
Anyway, I hope got that right. 😅

The bottom line is: FDISK and BIOS are the main cause that limit DOS5/6 to 2GB partitions.
DOS may or may not beable to handle bigger partitions, depending on the system it is being run on-
That being said, I'm curious what DOS4 is capable of, once tweaked. 😀

Last edited by Jo22 on 2019-04-09, 18:56. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 12 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gixxxer wrote:

is there any way to surpass or patch the DOS limitations? I plan to use this pc strictly for DOS games but prefer to do full install from disk. I know there is DOS 7 and freeDOS but there are compatibility issues.

Short answer no.
Long answer, You can try other disk manages, I know Nt4 supports 4GB Fat16, so must of been commercial versions for Dos?
but would bet this would casue more compatibility issues then using Fat32.

If you really need more space and don't want Fat32, a second HDD would be a better option

Reply 13 of 13, by Gixxxer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fat 32 or a second hard drive is fine. i dont care about the volume format as long as Dos can access it. I was just under the impression that there was an 8gb limit as to what could be accessed across all partitions on all discs. If this is not case though. Since the bios is patched for larger drive recognition, I have other drives i can put in. My goal overall is to have something like my other retro machine. Small boot/os drive large storage drive for games.