GPU Suggestions?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 53, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote on 2022-05-07, 11:00:
He probably didin't slow memory to 333MHz and ran it 1:1 with 400MHz FSB the first time. Doesn't matter at the moment, since he […]
Show full quote

He probably didin't slow memory to 333MHz and ran it 1:1 with 400MHz FSB the first time.
Doesn't matter at the moment, since he claims it works now.

Here's Win2k vs. DX10 ATI driver thread : https://msfn.org/board/topic/130431-ati-radeo … r-windows-2000/
^Forced driver installation may be required (since you have AGP card, and not PCIe one).

Oh of course, because his memory isn't DDR400 xD

And yes, as long as it works 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 42 of 53, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-06-18, 09:36:

Got another system for a GPU suggestion. Win 98SE, 850mhz Athlon CPU. and i wanna play games on it. Looking at maybe a radeon 9500. System is an old Gateway

Athlon is roughly comparable to a Coppermine at the same frequency (it's probably a little bit faster in most situations I suppose, but the difference is quite minute).

Contemporary would be something like a GF1 or a Voodoo 5 or so, so anything slightly more recent than those should be a good fit as well. A Radeon 9500 should work I guess though I only have experience with Radeon 9600 (somewhat more slow compared to R9500) and only on systems using much faster CPUs.

If your board is one of the older Slot A ones (these feature the oldest Athlon chipsets), chances are you may run into (AGP) stability issues as those boards can be very picky regarding AGP card and memory modules.

Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 53, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-18, 12:49:

Athlon is roughly comparable to a Coppermine at the same frequency (it's probably a little bit faster in most situations I suppose, but the difference is quite minute).

Contemporary would be something like a GF1 or a Voodoo 5 or so, so anything slightly more recent than those should be a good fit as well. A Radeon 9500 should work I guess though I only have experience with Radeon 9600 (somewhat more slow compared to R9500) and only on systems using much faster CPUs.

If your board is one of the older Slot A ones (these feature the oldest Athlon chipsets), chances are you may run into (AGP) stability issues as those boards can be very picky regarding AGP card and memory modules.

i gotten a Geforce FX 5600 from a coworker of mine that turned out to be faulty, unfortunately. after looking at the recommended specs of my big box Homeworld 2, the most demanding of my current collection, i got an ATI Radeon 8500, im waiting for in the mail. the system is a slot a system, processor kinda looks like a Nintendo cartridge? 🤣

Reply 44 of 53, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:30:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-18, 12:49:

i gotten a Geforce FX 5600 from a coworker of mine that turned out to be faulty, unfortunately. after looking at the recommended specs of my big box Homeworld 2, the most demanding of my current collection, i got an ATI Radeon 8500, im waiting for in the mail. the system is a slot a system, processor kinda looks like a Nintendo cartridge? 🤣

That's one way to put it 🤣
But do attach a heatsink to the cartridge before powering it on or you might have less of a Nintendo cartridge and more of a miniature bonfire 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 45 of 53, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-24, 10:53:

That's one way to put it 🤣
But do attach a heatsink to the cartridge before powering it on or you might have less of a Nintendo cartridge and more of a miniature bonfire 😜

🤣 heatsink is on it pretty good, i actually cant remove it without risking the screw, either by breaking it or stripping it out 😒 would be nice to put some fresh thermal paste on the 20 year old system

Reply 46 of 53, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lets add another system, just to keep it all in one thread. Found a deal on Ebay for a cpu, mobo, and ram combo, its a P3 933mhz, AGP 4x slot. im thinking win98se and dos games, since the processor is faster than my current win98se gaming system. Whats the suggestion for graphics card?

Looking thru the thread i see some Radeon 9500 and Voodoo 4 4500 for the 850 athlon, I suppose a 933mhz P3 isnt far off?

Reply 47 of 53, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Geforce 4 or FX for that PIII, same as for Athlon. Later Voodoo cards aren't really needed. Mine is rarely used. I found that predominantly games from 1997-1998 benefit from 3Dfx as Direct3D support was rare back then but it changed from 1999 onwards.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 48 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-05-06, 18:43:

I have another psu thats a 420W unit, I can swap out when I get time.

Should be fine. Even better if it's ATX 12V compliant as this is one of a handful of Socket 462 boards supplying CPU VID from the aux connector.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 49 of 53, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2022-12-17, 21:40:
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-05-06, 18:43:

I have another psu thats a 420W unit, I can swap out when I get time.

Should be fine. Even better if it's ATX 12V compliant as this is one of a handful of Socket 462 boards supplying CPU VID from the aux connector.

Is that a rare feature?

Reply 50 of 53, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everybody should have a Radeon 8500 in the collection. For the cool 16-bit dithering and some Truform entertainment. The ability to run 16x anisotropic filtering with minimal hit is nice too, though the texture filtering isn't exactly the finest out there overall.

Reply 51 of 53, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote on 2022-12-19, 04:47:

Everybody should have a Radeon 8500 in the collection. For the cool 16-bit dithering and some Truform entertainment. The ability to run 16x anisotropic filtering with minimal hit is nice too, though the texture filtering isn't exactly the finest out there overall.

I had one, but it died on me 🤣. I think it was the higher vram one too. 128mb i think?

Reply 52 of 53, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Alistar1776 wrote on 2022-12-18, 02:20:

Is that a rare feature?

It's not common. I've found the odd mATX board with a 12V connector as well. Some of the dual S462 machines had one CPU on 12V and one on the ATX connector.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 53 of 53, by Alistar1776

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Geforce FX 5600 128mb and id like help finding Win98SE drivers for it. I didnt see them in the vogons driver page, and i wanna make sure I get the right ones.

scratch that, its not working right under normal VGA....