VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As I look at my PC collection and think back on any that I have seen or had in the past, I have realized that I've never seen an AT Form Factor tower that didn't have a gigantic metal cover that must be slid\lifted off all at once and then set somewhere when the PC is being worked on. I've never seen one with separate removable side panels. 😮

So, I'm calling on the diverse collections of you VOGONS users here... does such a thing exist? If so, how common are they?

I know that an AT board can go in an ATX case with the right (or no) I/O shield as long as it has the right mounting holes... but that's simply backward compatibility and isn't what I'm talking about.

What I'd like to see is a case that is truly an AT-only style with a permanent DIN keyboard hole, no way to mount an ATX board and a mounting location for an AC power switch\button.

Also... pics or it didn't happen. 😁 😁 😁

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 2 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-02-03, 03:41:

Those towers designed by Luigi Colani for Vobis have individual side panels.
Too lazy to attach a pic. Just google 'Colani tower'.

Wow... that's quite a tower! Looks like they're ridiculously expensive when they show up too. 🤣

I wonder if there are any others out there?

Reply 3 of 14, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one on my 486 build
See my post:
486 Multimedia dream build ( 1993/94 )

Techmedia was a computer builder company from Silicon Valley back in 1990’s
This case I think is actually for a 1st gen pentium motherboard but I am using it for my 486 build.
Techmedia designed their own computer cases.
This is a really nice case too.
It’s very heavy as it is made of thick gauge sheet metal. And it has a thick coat of paint too.
One of the nicest AT tower cases I have ever seen.

Reply 5 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have one, a grey case used for an industrial PICMG backplane and SBC. Probably dates from early 2000s (the SBC was the original one, and was Tualatin-supporting So370).

Reply 6 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, they do exist! Thanks guys!

So you'll agree this isn't something you find every day then? I need to keep my eyes open for one. I'm not sure if I would have even thought about it before now so I may even have passed one up at some point.

Reply 8 of 14, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Colani tower indeed had separate side panels but there were other cases from Vobis as well - I used to own one back in the day and made a thread about it not long after I joined vogons 8 years ago 😅

gettyimages-875825320-594x594.jpg
Filename
gettyimages-875825320-594x594.jpg
File size
39.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 10 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, another nice one! Is that fake-floppy 5 1/4 drive bay cover at least removable? It almost looks like it's part of the case. 🤣

I have never seen any of these before.

Or any Vobis computers for that matter.

Reply 11 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want real easy tinker access, lemme ruin your life by telling you about the unicorns with a hinged flip up panel like the hood of a car. Mostly lie flat desktop format. Horrible for ventilation too, you don't want many watts in most of them (i.e. 233MMX and below)

I saw a fat squat minitower AT some long while ago with a case badge from some cheeky buggers calling themselves "Com-Pac", sold with a P100 in on an FX board to give an idea of dating, but no idea who made the case, seemed generic, but higher end generic.

I think some Dells had that style, but they were between early pentium and jumping on the ATX train early, so a year of them at most. Also Acers had them longer, but they were doing this weird halfass ATX thing with ATish ATX style 3.3V power and power management and I had doubts about whether they were really AT cases, soft power buttons, weird PSUs. I had managed to replace a failed board in one with a baby AT board, but it took matching the dimensions close.

edit: this one appears to have panels, not sure the store either has stock or is good to deal with, but maybe the part number turns up elsewhere https://baber.com/cases/mpe_md59.htm

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 12 of 14, by pete8475

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Techmedia brand AT tower case with removable sides.

There's some pics of it in this thread:
K6-2+ 450, Asus VX97 Build - updated now to include some 430TX vs. 430VX benchmarks

Reply 13 of 14, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess the all-in-one case cover design was cheaper. I had an ATX case like this and it was very annoying to reassemble. This design is not practical with very large cases though.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 14 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-02-03, 23:58:

I think some Dells had that style, but they were between early pentium and jumping on the ATX train early, so a year of them at most. Also Acers had them longer, but they were doing this weird halfass ATX thing with ATish ATX style 3.3V power and power management and I had doubts about whether they were really AT cases, soft power buttons, weird PSUs. I had managed to replace a failed board in one with a baby AT board, but it took matching the dimensions close.

Oh man, I forgot about those Acers! Now that I think about it, I might actually have one of those in my garage!! I was given a gray colored Acer tower from like 1995 and it was partially disassembled. I think I have the original mouse and keyboard for it as well. It is probably something similar to AT... but I can't remember how the case opens. I think I eventually found all of the parts of the tower itself to reassemble that, but it has been a "future project" for ~3 years so I haven't looked too closely at it.

EDIT: Pretty sure the one I have in the garage is like this...
https://www.reddit.com/r/vintagecomputing/com … pire_from_1995/
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/acer-a … dows-1956480113

Ahhh... just found this picture. It's probably not AT then unless they did some different versions of this tower.
https://imgur.com/gallery/G2KAZVF

Just found this ad for one too... 🤣

acer_aspire_ad.jpg
Filename
acer_aspire_ad.jpg
File size
282.16 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

What were they thinking mashing two different paragraphs\lists together on the side? Ah, '90s advertising...