DOSBox-X branch

Topic actions

Reply 2400 of 2407, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-07-09, 11:33:

That is correct. You mounted another drive. C: is empty as all Dosbox-X files are on your Z: drive.

If your directory is not empty and you don't see them on C: then that is another problem though. Never tried it on Linux so can't help with that. I set nocachedir to true in the conf file btw as sometimes copied over files only showed up after a Dosbox-X restart.

Yes, DOSBox-X files are on virtual Z: drive, as they are in the case with original DOSBox, but the directory which I'm trying to mount as virtual C: drive is not empty and it seems that it is not accessible by the linux snap package version of DOSBox-X. There's no such a problem with original DOSBox, but is is installed from normal internet repo, not in software package like snap or flatpak.

The files in snap package installations can not be edited, added, deleted, replaced directly. Again, I'm avoiding this kind of software linux packages, but I can't find any (un)official repos for DOSBox-X to install it "the normal way".

Tried on Lubuntu 22.04.4.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 2401 of 2407, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2024-07-09, 11:47:
Yes, DOSBox-X files are on virtual Z: drive, as they are in the case with original DOSBox, but the directory which I'm trying to […]
Show full quote
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-07-09, 11:33:

That is correct. You mounted another drive. C: is empty as all Dosbox-X files are on your Z: drive.

If your directory is not empty and you don't see them on C: then that is another problem though. Never tried it on Linux so can't help with that. I set nocachedir to true in the conf file btw as sometimes copied over files only showed up after a Dosbox-X restart.

Yes, DOSBox-X files are on virtual Z: drive, as they are in the case with original DOSBox, but the directory which I'm trying to mount as virtual C: drive is not empty and it seems that it is not accessible by the linux snap package version of DOSBox-X. There's no such a problem with original DOSBox, but is is installed from normal internet repo, not in software package like snap or flatpak.

The files in snap package installations can not be edited, added, deleted, replaced directly. Again, I'm avoiding this kind of software linux packages, but I can't find any (un)official repos for DOSBox-X to install it "the normal way".

Tried on Lubuntu 22.04.4.

Don't know if this applies to you but from https://github.com/flathub/com.dosbox_x.DOSBox-X:

Limitations
For security reasons, this Flatpak is sandboxed and only has access to the user's Home folder. You should place any files you need within DOSBox-X in that folder (or in a subfolder). Alternatively you can allow additional access with the override command. But note that this does not work for all directories as some (like /usr) have special restrictions. For instance, to allow access to /run/media where USB devices are typically mounted, run the following command:

flatpak override --filesystem=/run/media com.dosbox_x.DOSBox-X

Reply 2402 of 2407, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-07-09, 12:00:
Don't know if this applies to you but from https://github.com/flathub/com.dosbox_x.DOSBox-X: […]
Show full quote

Don't know if this applies to you but from https://github.com/flathub/com.dosbox_x.DOSBox-X:

Limitations
For security reasons, this Flatpak is sandboxed and only has access to the user's Home folder. You should place any files you need within DOSBox-X in that folder (or in a subfolder). Alternatively you can allow additional access with the override command. But note that this does not work for all directories as some (like /usr) have special restrictions. For instance, to allow access to /run/media where USB devices are typically mounted, run the following command:

Thank you! I've missed this info. I'll try to mount some subfolder in user's "Home" folder.

P.S. So, it is not a problem of the DOSBox-X software snap/flatpak package, but in general a problem with those type of installations. One more reason to not use these snaps/flatpaks at all 😀

P.S.2. The "Home" subfolder trick did not work 🙁

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 2403 of 2407, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-07-09, 12:00:
Don't know if this applies to you but from https://github.com/flathub/com.dosbox_x.DOSBox-X: […]
Show full quote

Limitations

Ok, the solution for me turned out to be not to mount "/home/{mounted subdir}", but "/home/{USER}/{mounted subdir}". And it's pretty inconvenient, still better than nothing.

P.S. The problem was really due to software packages limitation. Working solution for DOSBox-X snap package in my case (with access to second HDD): "sudo snap connect dosbox-x:removable-media" and after this any directory on the second HDD can be mounted as DOSBox-X virtual HDD just like in the original DOSBox.

Reply 2404 of 2407, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't make network work with Pcap or slirp. Because I noticed that 98SE and ME are running a little bit faster in DOSBox x instead of PCem (I don't use 86Box is very incompatible for me), I wanted to make some 3Dfx games testing.

Why is so difficult?

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 2405 of 2407, by Duffman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@JSO

Why is 86Box incompatible for you?

MB: ASRock B550 Steel Legend
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950X
RAM: Corsair 64GB Kit (4x16GB) DDR4 Veng LPX C18 4000MHz
SSDs: 2x Crucial MX500 1TB SATA + 1x Samsung 980 (non-pro) 1TB NVMe SSD
OSs: Win 11 Pro (NVMe) + WinXP Pro SP3 (SATA)
GPU: RTX2070 (11) GT730 (XP)

Reply 2406 of 2407, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Many 3Dfx games are running with glitches and low fps. I experienced many crashes when I was installing drivers and etc. PCem for me is solid. Whatever build I had choose. From 386 to PII and from DOS, Windows 3.x to NT 3.1, NT 3.51, OS/2 2.1x, OS/2 Warp 3 and OS/2 Warp 4, Windows 9x, ME and 2000.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 2407 of 2407, by almeath

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PCem and 86Box emulate a complete x86 PC, down to the individual hardware components. So that is why you will often experience more accurate and stable 3dfx emulation in PCem, especially if running Windows 95/98 games. 3dfx support in DOSBox-X is achieved through direct software emulation of a Voodoo card, or via hardware pass-through such as OpenGlide.

It sounds like you are not happy with the level of accuracy or performance using the software emulation mode, so you only have two choices. Try the same games with the hardware or pass-through 3dfx emulation mode - for which there are extensive instructions on the DOSBox-X website, or try another variant of DOSBox (i.e Staging, Pure) which use different code to emulate the Voodoo card in software. The problem with the latter is that support for Windows 95/98 will be more limited and unstable.

DOSBox SVN for macOS (x86-64) - customized with Munt MT-32, Nuked OPL3, 3dfx Voodoo, Extra RAM, Large HD, and more.
https://github.com/almeath/DOSBox-SVN-64-bit-for-macOS