VOGONS

First post, by APOPAP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I recently got a ISA sound card (SB pro compatible).
I installed the drivers and tried to play some DOS games.But sound effects (shooting, door opening in doom,etc) are too loud.On the other hand, I can barely hear the music playing in the background.

I tried to change wave and fm settings from the configuration menu but that not helped.

What should I do?

Reply 1 of 16, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do the in-game volume sliders do anything?

Reply 2 of 16, by zwrr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried tweaking your SFX Volume and MUSIC Volume in a game like DOOM?

Am386DX-40, 386-VC-H, 16MB, GD5429, ES1868F

Am486DX5-133, HIPPO-15, 16MB, Riva 128, SB16

Pentium MMX-233, T2P4, 128MB, G450, SB16

Tualatin-1.4G, 694X, 512MB, G400, Voodoo2, AWE64

Reply 3 of 16, by APOPAP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your replies.
When I set sfx volume in doom at it's lowest value,it sounds normally.

But what about games that haven't that option (like wolf 3d)?

Reply 4 of 16, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
APOPAP wrote on 2024-07-09, 20:11:

I tried to change wave and fm settings from the configuration menu but that not helped.

This should have helped - maybe you have the wrong mixer software or version of it. What's the sound card? Can you provide a picture of it?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 6 of 16, by zwrr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From the driver file analysis, your sound card is a combination of OPTI 929 and CS4231, maybe you can try to use the same chip driver from other manufacturers? For example, the Acer Magic S20 or MAD16 Pro.

Reply 8 of 16, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your mixer picture shows a mixer set up to do exactly what you observe: Loud effects! Turn wave down, turn FM (or CD) up.

Retro PC warning: The things you own end up owning you.

Reply 9 of 16, by zwrr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
APOPAP wrote on 2024-07-10, 08:44:

I ve tried the Mad 16 Pro drivers.Doesn't work
I will try the Acer Magic drivers
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1966&menustate=0

It may be noted that many OPTI929 drivers correspond to the specified CODEC chip, and some drivers require you to select the correct CODEC model during the installation process, such as CS4231 and AD1845.

Reply 10 of 16, by APOPAP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ux-3 wrote on 2024-07-10, 08:49:

Your mixer picture shows a mixer set up to do exactly what you observe: Loud effects! Turn wave down, turn FM (or CD) up.

Well,I changed that but now only works in real-mode dos...no dos box

Reply 11 of 16, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
APOPAP wrote on 2024-07-10, 09:17:

I wonder if DOS box would even assume you have an OPL3 present. It might just output 16 bit generated audio to wave-out as default maybe.

Reply 12 of 16, by APOPAP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ux-3 wrote on 2024-07-10, 12:48:
APOPAP wrote on 2024-07-10, 09:17:

I wonder if DOS box would even assume you have an OPL3 present. It might just output 16 bit generated audio to wave-out as default maybe.

I see what's wrong.The driver has a file named CSACMOD1.EXE .It is loaded at the config.sys as a device= but that does not appear to work.Only when I start the computer as "command prompt only" seems to load the driver.For "restart in msdos mode" I edited DOSSTART.BAT and added c:\se1440\csacmod1 (device driver path).But now what about dos window?I added the same in Autoexec but not helped.I tried to run the program manually from dos box(CSACMOD1)-but says cannot be run in windows box.

I see there is an option to configure opl3 yamaha synth from control panrel.(I am uploading a photo simillar to that I have(I can't take a photo right now))

Reply 13 of 16, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Win 3.x, typically there is a mixer application for Windows. But perhaps running the mixer in a DOS box will work too.

For Win9x, the mixer is just right there on the right-bottom corner of the task bar, and it should allow individual control of Wave/Midi/CD/Line...etc. Those apply to games run in a DOS box.

Reply 14 of 16, by APOPAP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to change the mixer's setting but that unfortunately didn't help.The driver (CSACMOD1.EXE) is present in config.sys (device=C:\SE1440\CSACMOD1.EXE) but the driver seems not to be loaded for a Dox Box(as the real mode dos) .As a result sound effects are too loud and music can barely be heard.I can even hear a little music distortion, something that there isn't when I run a game in Real Dos.

Reply 15 of 16, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would think that the cause is this:
in real DOS, the sound card is used for wave and FM to generate sound.
If you are using DOSbox (the emulator), the sound card only used the wave part to generate all sound. So in DOS, you need a different mixer setting than in Windows/DOSbox. When using a dos window, a third setting may apply, depending on how you boot into windows.

Reply 16 of 16, by APOPAP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ux-3 wrote on 2024-07-11, 09:49:

I would think that the cause is this:
in real DOS, the sound card is used for wave and FM to generate sound.
If you are using DOSbox (the emulator), the sound card only used the wave part to generate all sound. So in DOS, you need a different mixer setting than in Windows/DOSbox. When using a dos window, a third setting may apply, depending on how you boot into windows.

Yes.Maybe the problem is something like that.

Now,on Real Mode dos the music and sound work great.(After I loaded the driver in Config.sys and dosstart.bat)

In Windows the "Windows sound system" works too.

But,in the dos window (No DosBox emulator) the sound keeps to be too loud and music too silent.

Is there I mixer I must configure or is a driver problem?