VOGONS

First post, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I started playing Last Half of Darkness 2 and found a map of the passages but when I examine it instead of displaying on the screen I get the message in the title.

I tried HAL 9000's "Mega Build" however it keeps reporting:
The printer is not ready! Is your printer ready?

Reply 2 of 13, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I started playing Last Half of Darkness 2 and found a map of the passages but when I examine it instead of displaying on the screen I get the message in the title.

I tried HAL 9000's "Mega Build" however it keeps reporting:
The printer is not ready! Is your printer ready?

Just a few things that puzzle me:

a) There IS no Last Half of Darkness 2 that runs in DOS. Which game are you playing? LHOD2 is a 2005 game.

b) DOS games could never require a printer - most people didn't even have a printer until 1995-1996 and LHOD is a 1989 game. Is the printer really needed to see the map?

Reply 4 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
red_avatar wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

b) DOS games could never require a printer - most people didn't even have a printer until 1995-1996 and LHOD is a 1989 game. Is the printer really needed to see the map?

WRONG. There are just a few titles that will use a printer. Shadows over Riva (third part of Realms of Arkania trilogy) will use it, and it is a ms-dos game. I am pretty sure there are some other RPGs out there (some of them from SSI) that will also use a printer.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 13, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could printer be configured somewhere in the program?

No, just sound, input device, and processor speed.

There IS no Last Half of Darkness 2 that runs in DOS. Which game are you playing? LHOD2 is a 2005 game.

While looking for information the remakes keep getting in the way. Here's what HOTU says: "This download contains Part I (freeware) and 2 (which you got after paying $25 registration fee)." I'm playing part 2.

parallel1=printer

It now says printing and that I can resume playing. I set docpath=c:\dos but I still don't get a file out of it.

Reply 9 of 13, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now I've got it. I tried drawing one myself but I wound up with several rooms overlapping. Thanks for your help.

Update: I liked the map I drew better so I corrected the overlapping rooms with the information from the printed map. It turns out a passage that turns left was supposed to turn right.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 13, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eL_PuSHeR wrote:
red_avatar wrote:
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

WRONG. There are just a few titles that will use a printer. Shadows over Riva (third part of Realms of Arkania trilogy) will use it, and it is a ms-dos game. I am pretty sure there are some other RPGs out there (some of them from SSI) that will also use a printer.

Veil of Darkness can use a printer.
GeoGolf can use a printer.