VOGONS

X-COM: Apocalypse almost works in latest CVS (2003-10-03)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by iceman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First i want to thank you devs for dosbox. Now i can play many many games from my large archive of old games when nostalgia hits me. Hmm one question though: any chance of running Privateer in Dosbox in the near future (0.60, 0.61, ..., 0.70, ....) ?

But now back to the topic - X-COM:Apocalypse:
Everything works fine - setup sound card autodetection works, game starts, sound gets initialized, main menu shows, but graphic is weird. Picture says it all. Whole screen (apocalypse runs in 640x480) is shown in upper quarter of dosbox screen (the rest of the screen is black) that means everything is stretched, shifted and overdrawn there. Mouse moves also only in the upper quarter, i managed to get through the main menu to the game itself. Sound works fine. Looks like there is a problem with the vesa mode which apocalypse uses. In older cvs builds it did not work at all (with older i mean august, early september). I tried running X:A with VDMSound - it works, but with frequent crashes to desktop, and it always makes a mess from my desktop (desktop resolution change cleans it up, but it's really annoying).

Attachments

• xcomapoc.jpg
    Filename
    xcomapoc.jpg
    File size
    22.1 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by Kain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know what you are bitching about. Abandon Loader, Win Xp Patch for Sound, and VDMSound addon for abandon loader lets me play it greatly! (although mouse moves very slow)

I know dosbox isn't perfect, but its not the only one. (its the best tho)

Try VDMSound Launchpad and Abandon Loader.

Last edited by Kain on 2003-10-05, 02:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Athlon Xp 1700+ @ 1.833ghz
ASUS A7N8X v1.4
Crucial 256mb Pc 2100 @ 166 mhz
Chaintech GeForce 4 Ti4200 128mb
Western Digital 40gb WD - 400
Windows 2000 Professional
Creative SB Live! 5.1 Dolby
Maxtop Case w/ 350w PSU