VOGONS

Common searches

Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach Runetime Error

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 36, by Wizardling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Happens to me too using Boxer 1.0.2 (based on DOSBox 0.74) in OSX 10.6.7 🙁

Has anyone found a way to get Duke Caribbean: Life's A Beach running in DOSBox yet, without having to use Windows? It installs ok, GAMER.EXE runs ok and says it's enabled the addon, but running CARIB.EXE results in the same runtime error every single time 🙁

Frog blast the vent core!

Reply 23 of 36, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The CARIB.EXE addon launcher renames original files with an unusual character that DOSBox does not allow. For example, GAME.CON is renamed to GAME.CO¥ and GAME.NOC (the addon file) is renamed to GAME.CON, so the addon file is used by the game engine instead of the original file. The addon launcher also renames files back the way they were when doing a normal exit from the game.

There are various things you can do manually to work around the problem, but the addon launcher works correctly by itself if 0x9d (the Yen symbol in extended ASCII) is added to the list of allowed characters in DOS_MakeName().

Reply 25 of 36, by Wizardling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I thought eduke32 worked fine on OSX?

Well, I'm sure it does. But I kinda like running DOS apps in DOS where commandline switches and various classic content still works as it used to 😀

However if all else fails, how would I go about using eduke32 with this addon that seems to require file system access?

Reply 26 of 36, by Wizardling

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

The CARIB.EXE addon launcher renames original files with an unusual character that DOSBox does not allow. For example, GAME.CON is renamed to GAME.CO¥ and GAME.NOC (the addon file) is renamed to GAME.CON, so the addon file is used by the game engine instead of the original file. The addon launcher also renames files back the way they were when doing a normal exit from the game.

There are various things you can do manually to work around the problem, but the addon launcher works correctly by itself if 0x9d (the Yen symbol in extended ASCII) is added to the list of allowed characters in DOS_MakeName().

How specifically do I do this, please? 😀 Thanks for your help, and that of the DOSBox devs - awesome emulator I couldn't live without nowadays.

Reply 27 of 36, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As a temporary workaround for DOSBox 0.74, the attached patch program will modify the addon launcher in memory to use a Dollar sign instead of a Yen sign when renaming files. Put it in the game folder and run it instead of CARIB.EXE. You should re-install Duke3D and the addon in case the filenames are messed up.

I have tested the patch with Duke3D v1.3D and v1.5 (Atomic), but I'm not sure if there's more than one version of the Caribbean addon. The version of the addon installer (Gamer) that I have is v1.01. If your version of the addon is different the patch will probably not work.

Attachments

• Filename
    CARIBFIX.ZIP
    File size
    820 Bytes
    Downloads
    1335 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by ripsaw8080 on 2011-06-08, 07:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 35 of 36, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Seems as if it is already in SVN of dosbox, so, yes, next version of dosbox will have it

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper