Spam, spam, spam

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 836, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
btw3d wrote:

To Vogons admins: you can end this spambot nonsense (~95% of spam posts/accounts are spambots; real people are only 5%) by changing image captcha (which is ocr'ed already) with Q&A captcha (like: 'What's the color of grass' and the expected answer is 'green'). No need to create more strict registration rules. It's implemented in phpbb 3.0.6+, but you can easily implement it here too.

certain spambot software apparently overcomes Q&A captcha by routing questions to human solvers and collecting the answers - seems like this is how a lot of image captcha gets bypassed as well (rather than purely OCRing everything).

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 62 of 836, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mabye can only post in forums after X amount of days after registration (for all forums except one forum for new users?)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 63 of 836, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

Mabye can only post in forums after X amount of days after registration (for all forums except one forum for new users?)

That would only delay the arrival of the spam by a few days.

Reply 64 of 836, by dada

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
btw3d wrote:

To Vogons admins: you can end this spambot nonsense (~95% of spam posts/accounts are spambots; real people are only 5%) by changing image captcha (which is ocr'ed already) with Q&A captcha (like: 'What's the color of grass' and the expected answer is 'green'). No need to create more strict registration rules. It's implemented in phpbb 3.0.6+, but you can easily implement it here too.

Don't use a Q&A captcha, they're extremely susceptible to a targeted approach (someone writing a bot specific to this forum) and have other flaws. And I'm pretty sure there are generic spambots that can crack them through lookup tables too, since this technique has been around for a while.

The only right thing to do is to outsource your captchas to something like reCaptcha, which admittedly isn't perfect either, but still your best bet.

Reply 65 of 836, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

That would only delay the arrival of the spam by a few days.

And be a nuisance to the honest people looking for a retro-home

Frankly, I don't think there is a single fullproof way to get spammers out of forums completely. Theres a lot of money going around in spammerworld and it's impossible to always be ahead of them. Best is to limit their nuisance in a way that's the least amount of work and nuisance to us.

If this means that readers can report spammers in a central topic so the mods can ban them in a convenient way, then it's a little amount of work to us and we keep the forums from getting flooded 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 67 of 836, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

z7h7a7n7g7
and lots of it

Report spammers here!

Reply 69 of 836, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I've added some over the top ip bans for them. I'll see if I can enhance the registration procedure a bit.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 70 of 836, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

I've added some over the top ip bans for them. I'll see if I can enhance the registration procedure a bit.

Cheers mate!

And if any still manage to bypass it, we'll happily keep on reporting them here ;D

Report spammers here!

Reply 72 of 836, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
mywork_kj has been posting plenty of spam lately […]
Show full quote

mywork_kj has been posting plenty of spam lately

here are some of his threads:
Topic 29384
Topic 29383
Topic 29382
Topic 29381

Reporting same spammer. Profile here

9 posts so far

(God I love this thread 😁 )

Report spammers here!

Reply 73 of 836, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Batman Forever Arcade Game PC CD

Might wanna take a look at this "Hannah06" user here.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 75 of 836, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:
Qbix wrote:

Cheers mate!

And if any still manage to bypass it, we'll happily keep on reporting them here ;D

Yep, same here! Anything to keep this site a Holy Temple for Classic PC Enthusiasts alone. 😀

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 77 of 836, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In other news, user coachoutlet sets a VOGONS first by trying to spam with his custom title (as well as his sig), and fails spectacularly:

Post 238506

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]