VOGONS

First post, by workerant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For most of the day now, I've been trying to install a custom-made point-of-sale program built approximately 20 years ago. I've been trying to build it off two floppy disks. I've tried using physical disks with an external floppy drive, a virtual floppy drive, and simply putting all the files in both disks in a plain old directory.
I'm trying to install the program to [u]q:\[/u], which in real life is c:\cashbox.

Installing from floppy drives:
[code]
mount a a:\ -t floppy
mount q c:\cashbox
a:
install a q cashbox
[/code]

This produces, varyingly, a prompt of "insufficient parameters" and a second prompt to insert disk 2, which repeats itself even if I insert the disk, until I quit trying, or a warning that "install" is an invalid command. Personally, I didn't think this method would work anyways. "install a c cash" was a syntax prompt given by DOSbox.

Dumping all the floppy drive files into one directory:

[code]
mount q c:\cashbox
cashprog.exe
cashdata.exe
cashfils.exe
cash.exe
[/code]

After typing in cash.exe, DOSbox stops returning a command prompt. The status bar at the top says Program: CASH. However, no program appears. Is my POS software simply incompatible with the program?

I'm including a copy of the floppy drives, if anyone feels safe running them and thinks they can help me out by it I'd really appreciate it.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W5VZ2FOQ

Reply 1 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Seems to work with core=normal, at least it doesn't hang at startup like it does with dynamic core. The app is using the Clipper Exospace linker's PMode memory management.

Reply 2 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah clipper wants some exception only present in normal core.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Thread moved to DOSBox Games/Apps. Section]

Reply 4 of 9, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
workerant wrote:

I'm trying to install the program to q:\, which in real life is c:\cashbox

Is not that vice versa?

Klimawandel.

Reply 5 of 9, by workerant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

alright, it's no longer just hanging there and doing nothing. Now it says "ERRORSYS (0) Unrecoverable error 650: Processor stack fault"

Any suggestions or links to fixes?

Reply 6 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Seems to be working OK here in 0.74 with default settings except for core=normal, but maybe you're running into a problem with some specific program function. At what point does the error occur?

Reply 7 of 9, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Clipper was always a giant pain this way, which is why VP-Info (later Sharkbase) was so popular. Shark could be networked easily, wasn't a memory pig, no licence required (shareware), could import & export data, and it was dead reliable. As a result, it still runs nicely - in DOSBox.

Reply 8 of 9, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh? you decompile the clipper-based apps and re-create using sharks?
i remember hellish experience using RESCUE5 to salvage any non-encrypted functions from clipper apps, the horror.

-fffuuu

Reply 9 of 9, by hoserjoe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joey_sw wrote:

oh? you decompile the clipper-based apps and re-create using sharks?

You don't decompile anything; you need the source code. Shark is a compiler. The shareware version is called "SR-Info". The language is similar to dBase, which in turn is similar to Clipper, except that Shark accepts unlimited records and has a compiler. You have to adjust the code slightly to compile in Shark. Clipper is a huge headache to deal with, which is why so many businesses turned to Shark. I'd rather hurl myself off a bridge than try to run a Clipper app! Previous versions of Shark were called VP-Info. See
http://books.google.ca/books?id=zzAEAAAAMBAJ& … epage&q&f=false