VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To be frank, I'm not an Radeon user. But I have a Radeon-based PC. Granted it is an AMD 760G (integrated graphic). While the FSAA is beautiful, it fails to run F-22 Lightning III - a DirectX 6 game. Also, when it runs Crimson Skies, the aircraft is replaced by a black silhouette everytime I activate FSAA.

Recently I bought Lenovo B460, a laptop with i5 processor and GeForce 310M, and support Windows XP! 😁 Yes, there is an XP driver for the 310M, so I don't have to use crappy Intel graphic for Windows XP.

So far, the GeForce 310M has no problem of playing old DirectX games. F-22 Lightning III runs flawlessly with 8xAA activated, despite it is a DirectX 6 game.

However, I haven't got the time to try it with many games, and I don't want to hastily generalize either. So here is the question: does GeForce have better backward compatibility than Radeons?

Reply 3 of 28, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It has both better backwards compatibility and better future compatibility 😀 In fact, the only complaint I've ever read about new GeForce cards was on this forum, concerning the 16-color palette being off in the lighter colors. This was on a GTX 460 and it was determined that a BIOS mod was in order to fix it, if I recall, but the person who recommended it has not responded for some time:

DOS in yellowish tint with GTX 460

At any rate, this doesn't affect emulation in DOSBox, which has the correct color palette.

Reply 4 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then it is too bad, because Radeon seems to have better image quality. Well at least according to my subjective taste.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: Crimson Skies does not work, garbled menu and all when using hardware acceleration. But the problem is unique to the game, and can be fixed using the file csfix2.7z. Unfortunately all the download link is broken. Anyone has the file? 🙁

Reply 7 of 28, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nvidia has the same problem with Crimson Skies last time I tried it (couple of years ago).
It has something to do with old Z-buffering which modern games don't use anymore, Mechwarrior 3 has same problem.
I googled there is a fix for it on Mechwarrior3.org, but I'm still waiting for they approve my account so I can download it. 🙁

Reply 8 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering Nvidia was the source of many "how game work on xp it doesnt work" problems in the past, i'd have to disagree.

Not to mention 8bit fullscreen palette slowdowns!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 28, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bump

A few months ago I upgraded from an Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT to a AMD/ATI Radeon HD 6770 and I gradually start installing and playing old Direct3D games that didn't work or with impaired graphics with the GeForce card.
So far I have to say that Radeon compares slightly favourable in terms of backward compatibility imho.

I got the following games running on my Radeon which I couldn't play with the GeForce:

International Rally Championship (has some screen flickering)
Castrol Honda Superbikes 2000 (runs very well)
Johnny Herbert's Grand Prix (runs very well)

Still, there are a lot of games I have still to test and there are a few that still crash or have impaired graphics like the aforementioned Mechwarrior 3 or Sports Car GT for example.

Reply 10 of 28, by Sol_HSA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Considering Nvidia was the source of many "how game work on xp it doesnt work" problems in the past, i'd have to disagree.

Not to mention 8bit fullscreen palette slowdowns!

Hey, it's the way it's meant to be played! >=)

http://iki.fi/sol - my schtuphh

Reply 11 of 28, by McMick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's an interesting test for you: Google for "fixed incompatibility with" and see whose name pops up more in the results, ATI or Nvidia. 'Nuff said. ATI breaks game compatibility with at least one game with every new release of their drivers.

Reply 12 of 28, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Kreshna I have the file pm me your email addy and i will send
ps: cs runs fine on a radeon 6950

pps f22 lightning 3 8xeq supersampling looks bloody fantastic

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 14 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Davros wrote:

Kreshna I have the file pm me your email addy and i will send

Thanks! Check your PM mailbox. 😀

Davros wrote:

ps: cs runs fine on a radeon 6950

Does it run well with AA activated? Crimson Skies also runs fine on my Radeon 760G --until I activated AA. When AA is activated, the aircraft is replaced with a black shape.

It is too bad that Radeon FSAA is not really compatible with older games (DOSFreak has also pointed an article here). Most of my Radeon problems with older happen when AA is activated. 🙁

Davros wrote:

pps f22 lightning 3 8xeq supersampling looks bloody fantastic

Yes it does. 😀

Actually, it's almost like an obsession to me - trying older 3D-accelerated games on new video cards, with AA and AF maxed out.

Anyway, Malik has a GeForce 6800 running on a Windows 98 system - perhaps he can also share his experience here?

Reply 15 of 28, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fun fact: Radeon 9500+ didn't even support MSAA in 16bit color games initially. I recall it took some emails and a lot of time to get that added. For me it was Xwing Alliance and wanting to AA the highpoly XWAUpgrade models.

😀

Reply 16 of 28, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can run XWA on the Radeon 6450 in full glory with FSAA at 16-bit color and 1440x1080 pixels. It required "XWA hacks" though, otherwise it would not be playable. I guess I owe you for pushing ATI back then.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 17 of 28, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It all depends on which driver you're using. nVidia cards will make Falcon 4.0 have messed up arming screen on most drivers, as well as garbled menus on Mobil 1 Rally. ATI cards will clearly display these menus.

Reply 18 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the only source of backward compatibility problems on Radeon is FSAA - Radeons only support MSAA, and not SSAA. If there is any way, driver hacks and the like, to force SSAA on older Radeons, I think it would make Radeons interesting choice for old games.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.