VOGONS

First post, by MarkoUu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i'm quite new to DosBox but i have been searching a lot for this problem.

I have Windows 7 64bit and DosBox 0.74

I installed SimCity 2000 but DosBox said that "The video card was not found."
So i opened the simcity 2000 setup and changed the Video card to "ATI VGA wonders"

After that, the game "starts" but i can only hear the music, and if i click randomly around i can hear that the game is running, but i cant see anything.

My video card is Ati Radeon 4870X2 and soundcard is SoundBlaster Xtrememusic.

Is there any solution?

Reply 4 of 11, by MarkoUu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Or is the option for "machine" ?

At the moment the "machine" is svga_s3

Other options for that are: hercules, cga, tandy, pcjr, ega, vgaonly, svga_s3, svga_et3000, svga_et4000, svga_paradise, vesa_nolfb, vesa_oldvbe.

How do i know which one?

Reply 5 of 11, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes that's what I mean.

I don't have your specific game so I don't know which one is right, but you should try the several svga and vesa modes as well as vgaonly.

Also note that this has absolutely nothing to do with your real hardware graphics card model.

tearex

Reply 7 of 11, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Especially, if there is any of the machine types that matches one graphics card type which is selectable in the Sim City 2000 setup - that one should work.

EDIT: Better to follow ripsaw's advice, I guess he has the game.

tearex

Reply 8 of 11, by MarkoUu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ripsaw:

I tried SimCity 2000 with "Vesa Super Vga" and the machine as svga_s3 but it just says "video card not found bla bla bla"

EDIT: yeah sorry i messed up. Thanks ripsaw, it totally works now.

Reply 9 of 11, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

simcity 2000 will run fine in windows 7 x64. I know, I've done it. the INSTALLER is 16 bit and cant cope. If you legit own 2000, you can find a modified installer if you look carefully online. OR send me a PM if you cant find it on your own.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 10 of 11, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

simcity 2000 will run fine in windows 7 x64.

There are multiple versions of SimCity 2000, including a 16-bit Windows version, a 32-bit Windows version (I think), and a DOS version. The 16-bit Windows version and the DOS version cannot possibly ever run under Windows 7 x64 without DOSBox or something similar.

Evidently the OP is trying to run the DOS version in DOSBox. (This is the same version sold by GOG.com, so it certainly can be done.)