Common searches

Early games w/higher resolution than normal for era

Topic actions

First post, by hifidelitygaming

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty self explanatory. 😀

For instance, prior to about 1994 just about everything in color was usually going to be 320x240 ModeX VGA. Which games supported SVGA? Or some other higher resolution mode like 640x480 just with less colors? Did any early games up to then support 800x600 or even 1024x768 game modes let alone higher?

If there were really early games supporting something like Hercules monochrome modes (at what was it, 720x350 or something?) please list as well. I'm looking for anything which did NOT follow the "standard" of it's era - which was normally CGA, EGA, VGA mostly. Wierd text modes using custom character sets could count too, i'm not sure whats out there so I made the question as open as possible.. I didn't post asking for SVGA games only because it's more encompassing than that.

Around the time of the voodoo 2 I assume it was primarily framerates holding things back, DX7 allowed up to 2048x2048 pixels, I dont know about DX5 but I assume it was probably the same that any of the DirectX 5.0 and later games are likely hackable to run higher resolutions. Yet if there were any that stood out for some reason you could list them too. If you read my topic you obviously had something in mind. 😀

Reply 1 of 65, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Let's see...
Scorched Earth: Supported some SVGA resolutions in 1991 (though I don't think the higher resolutions beyond 640x480 were available till it's 1995 release)
Tilt! Pinball: Supported 800x600x8 SVGA in 1992
...I'd likely have a few more to list, but post a harddrive failure I've only gotten to reinstalling/reprofiling my games through T.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 3 of 65, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

US Navy Fighters supported 1024x768 in 1994. Quake supported 1280x1024 in 1996, Quake II bumped that up to 1600x1200 in 1997, Quake III Arena also bumped that limit up to 2048x1536 in 1999 😀

Also Cyberbykes Shadow Racer VR supported 1280x1024 in 1995, as well as 3d headsets.

and then there's all those Moraff games that over-promoted their ability to scale up to exotic vendor-specific high resolutions...

Also the PowerVR version of Tomb Raider supported 1024x768.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 65, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mechwarrior 2 had 1024x768 support in the DOS version.

Car and Driver from 1992 had 640x480 support.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 8 of 65, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Can't believe we didn't mention Mechwarrior 2 earlier. IMO Software 1024x768 looks far better than any 3D accelerated version out there!

If you can play without almost any form of textures, then go ahead 😀 I myself stick to the PowerVR version.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 10 of 65, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Can't believe we didn't mention Mechwarrior 2 earlier. IMO Software 1024x768 looks far better than any 3D accelerated version out there!

If you can play without almost any form of textures, then go ahead 😀 I myself stick to the PowerVR version.

The PowerVR version is awesome, but I still think playing at 1024x768 and with a better framerate is an overall better solution.
I should perhaps try the Glide version using nGlide and higher resolutions sometime and see how it compares.
I just love the clean look of the DOS version at that resolution.

Reply 11 of 65, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

LineWars II had support for 800x600 256-colour graphics, though I haven't been able to get this support working in DOSBox.

Early versions of Animal Quest also supported 800x600, but using 16-colour graphics.

Magic Carpet was one of the first games to take full advantage of the extra functionality of early Pentium processors. As such, it not only had some pretty impressive graphical effects, but 640x480 support as well.

Advanced Tactical Fighter supports up to 800x600 with the cockpit view and 1024x768 without.

Or, if you want to talk really unusual, Fractint was one of the few DOS programs I knew of that supported higher than 8-bit colour, but alas, it's not a game. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 12 of 65, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Magic Carpet in addition to 640x480, also supported 640x480 in 16-bit color for the anaglyph 3d mode

Advanced Tactical Fighters is just a US Navy Fighters rehash. 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 65, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In 1993 'Super-VGA Harrier' was one of the first 640 SVGA games/sims - I've read it was the first. It was a hi-res edition of the standard 320 res 'AV-8B Harrier Assault' which came out the previous year. On release it took flac for allegedly being *anti* East Timor and was banned in some countries. But in truth it was *pro* since it recreated a war to liberate East Timor from the invading Indonesians, not to invade it.

But quite possibly it was really banned since it implicated Indonesia in the occupation and liquidation of East Timor at a time when Australia and the US had cozy relationship with Indonesia - but who knows... Either way it's an underrated sim with a good flight model and a fully fleshed-out dynamic campaign playable from the perspective of a pilot or operations commander.

Reply 14 of 65, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tincup wrote:

In 1993 'Super-VGA Harrier' was one of the first 640 SVGA games/sims - I've read it was the first.

Not the first, per comments above there were SVGA releases, some even supporting 800x600, back in 1991-2.

Reply 16 of 65, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

Populous 2 had svga in 1992

Pretty certain that's just VGA with the color registers pushed to a new set of 16 colors. Syndicate did the same, as well as many other games like Battle Bugs, Lemmings (menus) and The Incredible Machine

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 65, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all, the mode most games used prior to 1995 is 320x200, and on VGA its Mode 13H. Look here for examples of games which used standard and non-standard modes http://www.classicdosgames.com/search.html

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 19 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmmm...how about Comanche Maximum Overkill (1992)? It supports SVGA 640x480 high res.

And Lucasarts' Monkey Island 2 (1991) and Fate of Atlantis (1992) supports high res EGA at an odd 640x200 resolution. They look stretched rather than looking like a pure high res games in EGA.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers