VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Decided to start another PowerVR thread but about using SGL MiniGLs with the PCX2. This is strictly about games that can use the OpenGL API,

This list is a work-in-progress.

OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED MiniGL list
The games that come with a PowerVR MiniGL or games that had an official MiniGL patch available, intended to support the game it's for. Versions number included, trailing 1.0.x.x removed. This MiniGL series displays a "PowerVR EXTREME" logo fading out for a few seconds in the top-right corner on startup.

• Quake (0.1) Video
  • Hexen II (0.1)
  • Quake II (1.8) Video
  • Half-Life (2.1) Video
  • SiN (6.0)

UNOFFICIAL BELOW
PowerVR MiniGL
Games that "work" but obviously aren't intended to be supported.

• Heretic II (2.1 - console will warn about not supporting PowerVR when you use it)
  • Daikatana (2.1 - the game comes with one which you can't normally use!) Video
  • Tumiki Fighters
  • Quake III Arena (2.1, use r_primitives 3; note that triangle strips aren't supported and will look very wrong) Video
  • Kingpin: Life of Crime (6.0)

Techland MiniGL
The unique driver that can be found in Crime Cities and its demo. Gets more of the later games to function, however, unlike the PowerVR MiniGL it does not feature any blending workarounds so games will look even more glitched and opaque. Graphics will be broken to various degrees.

• Quake III Arena Video (note- I modified most textures to add alpha blending, will do an engine build that fixes graphics)
  • Minetest
  • MDK2 Video
  • DXX-Rebirth (Descent port, looks fine except for the additive tint effects. I have reported this issue.)
  • Serious Sam (unfortunate skybox depth issue kills visibility) Video
  • Nexuiz (r_fullbright, gl_mesh_testmanualfeeding, loadsky no required) Video

GAMES YOU'D EXPECT TO WORK, BUT DOESN'T
Games that fail on either MiniGL due to various or unknown reasons

• Jedi Outcast
  • Call of Duty (no 512 support)
  • Unreal Tournament 2004
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
  • Doom III
  • VVVVVV
  • Starsiege Tribes (weird pickiness of hardware)
  • Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (Black screen or crash)
  • TeeWorlds (can't load textures)
  • TuxRacer (can't load textures)
  • Prboom-plus (Signal 11 error)
Last edited by leileilol on 2012-07-28, 07:36. Edited 9 times in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't really try a lot of games on the Techland MiniGL. Any suggestions that are 'well alpha-blended' that would work okay in theory?

I never did try a Glide wrapper -> OpenGL -> SGL MiniGL chain. Sadly WineD3D is for Win2k+ so I can't really use that to Direct3D9 -> OpenGL -> SGL MiniGL either 😜

Stuff I could probably try:

Anachronox
Nexuiz 2.x
Whatever that 2000-dated lady-featured 3dmark2000 wannabe for OpenGL is
Return Fire II
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (After a load of TGA fixes)
Neverwinter Nights
Starsiege
Soldier of Fortune (on the Techland one rather)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might I ask why you haven't listed the games below in the unofficial list when you have screenshots of them in your PowerVR Fun thread?

- Deus Ex
- Nerf Blast Arena
- Wheel of Time
- Klingon Academy
- Unreal Tournament
- Rune

Last edited by vetz on 2013-02-09, 20:27. Edited 1 time in total.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

Maybe because these are SGL games?

They are all Unreal engine games which needs to be modded to run with SGL (if its done with the Unreal driver or through MiniGL via the OpenGL option in the Unreal engine I don't know), which makes them fit on this list imo, since he has already listed the other unofficial supported games.

Reply 6 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread covers MiniGL, not SGL. The two are not related.

In Unreal engine games, SGLDrv.dll directly interfaces with SGL.DLL which interfaces with the card.

In all of the games on this list, they link to opengl32.dll, and i'm using powervr minigl wrappers to get them to work.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 8, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't get Wheel of Time and Nerf Blast Arena to run with the KernelEX trick you mention. They only ran when choosing OpenGL, but at a horrible FPS, so that is why I posted.

I don't have the game,but do TNN Outdoor Hunter have official support or not?

Reply 8 of 8, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're supposed to remove the comment slashes from the lines in sgldrv.int first to get PowerVR SGL for Windows to show up in the device selector

Yes TNN Outdoor Pro Hunter has official support. The game will ask if you have a PowerVR card installed if you say no to 3dfx.

If you're going to compare Unreal Engine games don't forget to try VertexLighting in the SGLDrv options, as that is much faster and the lighting looks more "normal" as well (i.e. not alpha blended, so less washed out) but of course there is a lot of flickering

apsosig.png
long live PCem