VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

for some reason, Prehistorik on my setup sends it's midi data on the SB16 mpu (port 300 with a DB-50XG) and not on the MPU401-AT (port 330, irq2, cm-32L) that I have installed.
The "setup" program (just run "prehistorik r") lets me select MT32 music but it sends it to the DB-50XG... CM-32L does not receive any data...

Is there a trick to bypass this odd behavior?
TIA! 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

maybe that's the case... I tested today with only the mpu401at connected and I get music... I wouldn't like to have roland@300 and sb16@330 since it will affect 99% of the roland games... maybe the cd-rom version I have is upgraded or something, I'll test it later as I forgot I had it 🤣 🤣 🤣

IMG01099-20120203-2145.jpg

and a bit OT, I can't seem to find info on that Titus collection, I am missing vol4 of the 5 ... searching for it but no luck so far...
th_IMG01098-20120203-2145.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 18, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmmm...odd, that a program should try to detect a Roland sound option at port 300. I wonder if there are other games that do this or this is an isolated one.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did test with no SB16 variables/init stuff, it still bangs port300 and plays through sb-mpu... will test robertmo's port theory so we know the deal

Reply 7 of 18, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it's checking port 300 first and then 330.
it doesn't check 330 if something responds on port 300 in the "right" way.
to change that behavior requires that someone writes a program to intercept the access (edit: like the included one).

Attachments

• Filename
    PREHISFX.ZIP
    File size
    948 Bytes
    Downloads
    221 downloads
    File comment
    exchange port order
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keropi have you played around with JUST a Sound Blaster on 330 and using that new TSR utility to emulate intelligent mode?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@peterferrie
thanks for that! will try in on my DOS machine and report back

@Mau1wurf1977
I don't think it's an intelligent mode issue (after all I use a mpu401) , music works fine but through the DB-50XG, as you can imagine it does not sound that good 🤣

Reply 10 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I didn't express myself well. Remove the MPU and set the Sound Blaster 16 to 330. And become a beta tester for that TSR programs. What games work and just test as many games as you can 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah you mean connect the cm-32L on the sb16? I need to get a cable for that... 😀

Reply 12 of 18, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

ah you mean connect the cm-32L on the sb16? I need to get a cable for that... 😀

Yea! They are available for little money on eBay. I will also test compatibility soon with an AWE64 GOLD. Could be a good combination.

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@peterferrie

just tested your fix and it works great on my p1 DOS build, thanks for making it!!!

edit:
As a sidenote the cd-rom version I have is pure crap. The games don't run on my p1 build even with L1 cache disabled. There is a crappy loader that loads the games executables that are not SQZ files. I believe the loader just fails to do it's job and you get dumped to DOS....
It's a shame really because I have to revert to other means of playing the games on the collection cds 🙁 , 8 unusable games sharing the same crappy loader and all of them work if you try non-loader versions.... bah

Reply 15 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ now that you mention it I could not even make the games run on my 386sx IBM PS1... :\
hope you succeed in unpacking them!

Reply 16 of 18, by peterferrie

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's the unpacked loader. It can run from hard disk.
If you copy the CDs to the HD, you can copy this file over cdrun.com and you don't need to change anything else.

Attachments

• Filename
    hdrun.rar
    File size
    2.01 KiB
    Downloads
    238 downloads
    File comment
    replacement cdrun.com loader for Titus collection, runs from HD
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@peterferrie

you Sir are a saint, you effectively rendered an almost non-working games collection to a working one!
thanks a mil for that, I'll check it later and report back!

edit: tested and working perfect on a 486/66 build! thanks again! 😊

Reply 18 of 18, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the exact same problem. How would I be able to run PREHISFX.COM with the CD-version? It looks by the source of PREHISFX.ASM that it is for the floppy-version, since it looks for PREHISTO.COM. Any help appreciated!

Akumajo Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151