VOGONS

Common searches

End of the line

Topic actions

First post, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been collecting 3dfx cards since 2003 and it has brought me joy throughout the years. I've learned a lot about the history of videocards and 3dfx in particular.

Unfortunately, though I had great plans for my collections (my 3dfx and non-3dfx collections), I must admit that after years of procrastination, it just isn't going to happen. The enjoyment I once got from collecting is no longer present and I wish to move on.

For that reason I will be selling of my collections. I will put up some ads in the marketplace on Falconfly's forum for certain items in the coming days/week (3dfx and other brands). Right now I'm only interested in selling multiple items together and in very good offers for single items. Once I'm done with that, I will put up the rest of my collections for sale per item.

My list of 3dfx cards (http://www.falconfly.de/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl … 087068014/15#17) is still pretty accurate. So you can have a look there to see if something interests you.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 1 of 43, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow, what a collection! Are you sure about selling? Must have taken you ages to get it all together.

I'm not familiar with Falconfly, what about eBay?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 43, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I'm sure. Been thinking it for months and it's been popping in and out of my head for several years now. It took me about 11 years to get to this point.

I'm not a fan of eBay when it comes to selling because they take 10% which is too much in my opinion.

Reply 6 of 43, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

Dumping this many cards into the "market" will crash the prices

It won't 😀

It's a big world...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 43, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kixs wrote:

Dumping this many cards into the "market" will crash the prices

No it will not. These are all different brands and models. If it was one brand and model, then it would crash prices.

Reply 9 of 43, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

This is one of the reasons why I keep my computer hardware and software collection small; sooner or later the law of diminishing returns will hit you, and a decision has to be made: do I keep going in the same direction, spending more and more time, money and effort on something that no longer gives me much enjoyment? Or do I just forget about it, sell it off and try something new instead?

Now don't get me wrong, I do appreciate and respect collectors. Still, I have to ask this question: how long can you keep this up? After all, nothing is forever - either you do something about it while you can, or your family will after you cease to exist. Even someone like me has to think about this, since my own family doesn't think much about my collection of "computer junk" - all they want is to get rid of it and recover the space is taking inside the house for their junk instead 😠 !

Having said that, I really do wish NitroX infinity the best of luck; hopefully your new hobby will be as satisfying as this one was 😀 (and that is a seriously impressive collection of 3dfx hardware 😮 ).

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 43, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

I hope I never have to pull the trigger like that. This must be rough man 😢

I know that feel. I've had to periodically sell or get rid of, in some way, parts of my collection of retro computing goodies over the years simply because I was running out of space in my house to store everything. It's part of the reason why I've been wanting to downsize my collection to only three or four key systems. And this is not even counting my rather large collection of vintage parts.

All that being said, holy crap that collection! 😲 I hope it winds up in the hands of people who will take good care of it.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 11 of 43, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@JayCeeBee64; New hobby? I don't really have other interests, except playing videogames. Thanks for the best wishes.

@Sutekh94; FalconFly's forum is a good place to ensure it ends up in good hands 😀

Just to be clear, I'm not only selling my 3dfx collection. All the other videocards I own, I'm selling too.

Reply 12 of 43, by VooDooMan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Damn... I can't believe in what you are saying. Once in a while there is someone who gets to a point "I am done with that". Your collection is truly impressive, some of the cards you have are nowhere to be found and it must have taken a while to collect it and now that whole effort will be wasted... but at least you gonna make a FORTUNE on it 😉

Best Tualatin Motherboard
ECS P6S5AT at 166 MHz
Overclocking Pentium III

Reply 13 of 43, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I understand the feelings might be tough right now, but why not just part with the cards in your collection that are almost the same but from different brands? (like quite a few of the V1/V2 based cards you own). I'd say keep the most special specimens in your collection (f.e: Cards that were sold in limited quantities and or have special qualities/have practical value) and put the rest up for sale. I think you might regret it once it all goes away.

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 14 of 43, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is an incredible collection...good for you for moving on but yeah it must be tough.

I myself am contemplating selling off a big chunk of my collection albeit it won't be cool 3dfx stuff like you have but it is still some pretty valuable stuff that took me a while to find. It will be difficult to say goodbye but it will feel good to free up some space and try to focus more on the best parts of my collection.

Reply 15 of 43, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

I understand the feelings might be tough right now, but why not just part with the cards in your collection that are almost the same but from different brands? (like quite a few of the V1/V2 based cards you own). I'd say keep the most special specimens in your collection (f.e: Cards that were sold in limited quantities and or have special qualities/have practical value) and put the rest up for sale. I think you might regret it once it all goes away.

I have been thinking about keeping the best high-end single-chip DirectX 6 cards from each manufacturer (3dfx, ATi, nVidia, PowerVR, Matrox, etc.)

Reply 16 of 43, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Man...... are you sure???

You have one of the best colections! I would at least keep the best from every serie and the quantum cards.

I have seen your list before and the video on tweakers.net. You guys have to see it (it`s in dutch but the cards speak for themselves)

http://tweakers.net/video/5965/gathering-of-t … deokaarten.html

Amazing collection and thanx for sharing it! I hope you do well and i really think you have to keep them.....

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17 of 43, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah ffs! Not that video again 🙁 I was sooo nervous 😜

Please don't watch it.

Reply 18 of 43, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

NitroX infinity: I know it is perhaps rude or odd, but are you willing to iso the drivers for the cards, and then upload them to/through vogonsdrivers ? I hope you do not take any offence from it. But it is a great site which archives and shares the drivers to people who needs them.

Reply 19 of 43, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I already put the drivers for the Netvision 2000i, Tasmania 3D, Neon 250 and Glint300sx on vongonsdrivers. The rest is easily available in other places.