VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there any way to implement an audio cable option onto a SATA CD/DVD-ROM drives for use in Windows 9x? I have some SATA DVD-RW drives that I use a cheap IDE bridge adapter with to connect to Win98SE computers, however I do not hear CD audio playback. Is there,

1) a means to implement the physical analogue cable so that I may connect it to an ISA sound card,
2) a Win9x/NT4/W2K driver which will allow audio playback for use with a) audio CDs, b) mixed audio/data CD's used in games to hear the CD music during game play.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 21, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know with newer sound cards and optical drives you can enable Digital CD Audio Output in Windows 9x via the control panel. Might be worth a try?

file.php?id=12807

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 2 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unfortunately, that option is greyed out. I am using an AWE64Value. Do any SATA to ATA bridge adapters have an analogue out header?

Reply 3 of 21, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think you get something like that. I've seen SATA <-> IDE adaptors for Laptop Optical drives that have connectors on them that suspiciously look like analogue connectors, but I couldn't verify that they are.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 4 of 21, by Jr_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the only way to do that is opening the drive to see if there is any solder spots to get analog audio out.
I've seen many SATA drives and none of them had that physical connector as the IDE drives

my build

Reply 5 of 21, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've also had no luck. Sticking with IDE drivers because of this. Note that also a lot of new IDE drivers don't support analogue audio out. Even drives with connectors, they simply don't work. I got a Samsung DVD-RW that does this.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 6 of 21, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I remember correctly a PCI card is required to extract digital audio without having the drive perform D/A and sending to the soundcard. I know that every PCI-equipped system I have will work this way, and I've never had trouble with USB or SATA based drives in such machines. As far as grabbing the analog out from a PATA<->SATA adapter, that sounds impossible without a fairly complex (read: expensive) device. Much easier to either upgrade the soundcard or get a compatible PATA optical drive.

Reply 7 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jr_ wrote:

I think the only way to do that is opening the drive to see if there is any solder spots to get analog audio out.
I've seen many SATA drives and none of them had that physical connector as the IDE drives

That is a good idea. So I took it apart. Here are the photos. There does appear to be some kind of missing connector, but it looks to be a two pin connector, which would likely be for a digital audio cable. There is this other block of solder pads next to it though, perhaps analogue audio?

SATA_CDROM_AUDIO_1.jpg
Filename
SATA_CDROM_AUDIO_1.jpg
File size
97.75 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
SATA_CDROM_AUDIO_2.jpg
Filename
SATA_CDROM_AUDIO_2.jpg
File size
89.08 KiB
Views
File license
SATA_CDROM_AUDIO_3.jpg
Filename
SATA_CDROM_AUDIO_3.jpg
File size
250.34 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 8 of 21, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've always been curious about it. AFAIK the drive still responds to the audio playback commands, there is just nowhere to get the sound from. Does PATA drives have special circuitry to handle áudio? Does the optic units have dedicated lines in their connectors to the board to send analog áudio? If so, could these be soldered and sent to a separate board piggybacking the drive? Oh well, sadly enough I'm out of spare SATA drives that I can open and wreck. I do have a spare PATA one that isn't reading disks though, when I have the time I should open it up and study it.

Reply 9 of 21, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2-pin is generally for digital audio, yes. In order for analog to work it will require a complete D/A circuit with output opamps and so forth - does it have any of that componentry available?

alexanrs wrote:

I've always been curious about it. AFAIK the drive still responds to the audio playback commands, there is just nowhere to get the sound from. Does PATA drives have special circuitry to handle áudio? Does the optic units have dedicated lines in their connectors to the board to send analog áudio? If so, could these be soldered and sent to a separate board piggybacking the drive? Oh well, sadly enough I'm out of spare SATA drives that I can open and wreck. I do have a spare PATA one that isn't reading disks though, when I have the time I should open it up and study it.

Yes it's a special circuit - it has a D/A converter to handle digital audio from the CD, and send it out to the soundcard (or whatever) via the 4-pin connector. It's usually not the greatest quality D/A converter, but it's better than nothing of course.

Reply 10 of 21, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But I believe the 2-pin digital audio stuff probably requires way less circuitry, perhaps even coming directly from the optic drive? If so, one coud produce a small D/A board to get analog audio out of it.

BTW, I've once seen a SATA optical drive with a 2-pin connector claiming it as a service/debug port and that it shouldn't be used.

Reply 11 of 21, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

But I believe the 2-pin digital audio stuff probably requires way less circuitry, perhaps even coming directly from the optic drive? If so, one coud produce a small D/A board to get analog audio out of it.

You can't directly take the digital feed from the transport - the 2-pin is outputting PCM audio. It's more resistant to noise and interference than analog, but requires D/A circuitry to exist somewhere on the sound-card or wherever else. In theory you could feed that into a D/A converter and then along into a soundcard, but again that's probably more hassle and expense than finding a PATA drive that has the right connectors, or a PCI card that will do bus audio. Another possible solution is if the motherboard has integrated audio, it may support digital audio over the bus.

BTW, I've once seen a SATA optical drive with a 2-pin connector claiming it as a service/debug port and that it shouldn't be used.

😲

Reply 12 of 21, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PCB contains 3 integrated circuits, all of which I have been unable to locate spec. sheets for. They are,

BD19960

NEC
MC-10045
1005EB001

R2A3
SP

The MC-10045 seems to be the proprietary Sony Optiarc chip. Without the spec sheet, I cannot determine if the analogue audio functionality is integrated into this chip.

As none of the pins in that 7-pin solder pad block were ground pins, I am assuming there is no missing analogue audio header. For those 2 pins which comprise of the missing CN4 header, one is ground. I am left with no alternative but to remove the SATA drive in favour of an older ATAPI drive with analogue audio.

Reply 16 of 21, by Evert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, there are advantages to using SATA drives over IDE ones, one of them being the newer SATA drive isn't likely to suffer from mechanical problems.

sigpic2689_1.gif

Reply 18 of 21, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Back in the day's we had cd players hooked up directly to the PC.
Thus skipping the stereo system.
That was way before cd drives were cheap enough. Circa 1990 to 1993.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19 of 21, by AllUrBaseRBelong2Us

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Evert wrote:

Well, there are advantages to using SATA drives over IDE ones, one of them being the newer SATA drive isn't likely to suffer from mechanical problems.

I'd agree that new drives are far less likely to have problems due to wear, but many of the older drives were made better--they sold at retail prices significantly higher than the modern $15 SATA DVD burners, which are mostly plastic and very cheap metal.

That said, I really like SCSI optical for old systems because the SCSI drives were some of the highest quality made. They also have the analog audio outputs. A nice Adaptec SCSI controller can be had on eBay for $15.