VOGONS

First post, by Count Knobula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been reading this site for a while but finally decided to sign up. Great place.

Usually I can sort myself out through using search but not this time.

It's to do with Terminator Future Shock. I can get it running however performance is utterly awful on any cycles setting. If dynamic core isn't enabled, all I get is a blank screen and a bit of stuttering sound.

I can get a lot of old games to work great (including a final unity, for example) but this one is proving a problem.

My specifics:

Athlon 64 3500+
2GB RAM
MSI NX7300 (256MB)
Sound Blaster Audigy SE

I'm using D-Fend v2. Original copy of the game, though I'm running it from a mounted image I made of it. Maximum install.

I've got a copy of Skynet coming too. I'm a massive fan of both games and this is irritating the heck outta me.

Any suggestions?

Reply 3 of 19, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use 'extra - change dynamic options' in D-Fend to add the auto value to the 'core' setting. should run ok at 15.000 cycles though (according to http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … D=1446&letter=T) ...

Reply 4 of 19, by Count Knobula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I literally typed in the extra values. Odd. They seem to work.

Game performance is marginally improved. Put on the 1.30 patch too. It just doesnt make sense. There must be something I'm missing.

Reply 9 of 19, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you should give VDMS a try.
with the help of "miki maus" in this thread, i can run future shock and skynet with SVGA and good performance under winXP. it only crashes sometimes when loading a savegame.
you can also find several threads in the VDMS forum about this method. 😉

i tryed future shock with dosbox 0.65 and ykhwong's CVS in the past. setting core=dynamic and cycles=max, but never got smooth gameplay at all...

Reply 10 of 19, by Count Knobula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried using that. Now I just get blank screens with sound.

Thats in response to dosfreak.

As to sysgod, looking in that thread doesnt help. I dont have skynet yet and half the stuff in that thread is gibberish to me.

Reply 11 of 19, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah i know, this thread was only an "advise" on how to upgrade future shock to hires.
anyway, running the game with VDMSound is more difficult than using dosbox + d-fend, but you can get better results.
if you really want to try it, read further...

iam a lazy guy, so dont expect to much:
first you should read the VDMS beginners guide.
download vdms from here and install it.
then simply follow the guide on how to setup and run your game.

if you get an error about not finding the correct CD of future shock, you can copy the SAPUCDEX.exe + SAPUCDEX.DLL from the VDMSound installation to your future shock directory.
create a .BAT file (read the last post of the guide for that) that looks like this:

sapucdex.exe
shock.exe

finally open the INSTALL.DAT (with a text editor) from the game directory and check if all matches your settings:

[skynet]
installpath=d:\dosgames\fshock <-your future shock installation
sourcepath=e:\ <-where the CD/image is located
type=net_large

now you can run the .BAT file with VDMS to start your game.
i hope this works...

Reply 15 of 19, by Count Knobula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, after getting the newer VDMSound (I was using an old ver, doh!) its running rather sweetly.

Thanks. Do I need to have skynet to get the svga mode?

Also, is there a way to get it running without having to mount or insert the cd each time?

Thanks guys.

Reply 16 of 19, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. Do I need to have skynet to get the svga mode?

yes if you can get an original copy of skynet you can upgrade fshock through the install process automaticly. otherwise use the thread i posted above.

Also, is there a way to get it running without having to mount or insert the cd each time?

iam not sure but i think the CD has a copy protection. you can try to copy all files from the CD to your harddisk, change the INSTALL.DAT (sourcepath=) to that location and see if it asks for the CD again. otherwise search the net for a nocd "patch".

oh and dont forget to patch fshock to v1.30. 😉

Reply 18 of 19, by Count Knobula

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope I don't get in trouble for resurrecting such an old thread. I'm back to trying to get this game working well with Skynet.

And gosh darn if google didn't bring me right back here!

After experimenting with directories, mounting and such I got Skynet to work with Future Shock, but even with my vastly improved comp, performance in 640x480 was horrible.

The solution is to choose a VESA 1.2 oldvbe display driver. Runs smooth as silk now. Just thought I ought to sign back in and report that FINALLY I can enjoy this game in all it's glory!

Reply 19 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Count Knobula wrote:

Hope I don't get in trouble for resurrecting such an old thread. I'm back to trying to get this game working well with Skynet.

Speaking for moderators.... I'm okay with a ten-year bump when it's from the original poster returning back to report that he's solved the problem. 🤣

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto