VOGONS

First post, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tough I'd open a thread where people can post hardware they've yet to identify. I'll start it off - can someone recognize the agp 4x video card in the top / middle with 16 memory chips and the sound card (gus clone) in the lower right corner? Any clues to what they might be?

Mrxg8Njh.jpg

Reply 1 of 21, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It might be some kind of Riva TNT2. I don't remember any other GPU using 16 SDRAM modules.... even TNT2 in this configuration is rare.
Matrox on the top right side seems to be G400 DH. G450 are using different PCB and smaller heatsink.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 2 of 21, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote:

It might be some kind of Riva TNT2. I don't remember any other GPU using 16 SDRAM modules.... even TNT2 in this configuration is rare.

That's what I'm thinking... maybe a TNT2 pro ro a Geforce 256 with SDRAM or SGRAM? Never seen a vintage AGP 4x card with that many memory chips before...

havli wrote:

Matrox on the top right side seems to be G400 DH. G450 are using different PCB and smaller heatsink.

Frankly I was hoping it was a G400 MAX...

The Gus clone is a Primax Atrasound Sound M16C also known as the GUS CD3.

Reply 4 of 21, by FGB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It may be a "Primax Soundstorm", I have one shrinkwrapped here, looks the same from the picture. I don't know the differences (if there are any hardware differences) between the Altrasound, the Music Sound and the Soundstorm, but of course "Soundstorm" sounds the coolest 😉 Maybe its just different names for different markets for the same card. Neat that it has the ICS hardware mixer the earlier GUS classics lack. A great card.

www.AmoRetro.de Visit my huge hardware gallery with many historic items from 16MHz 286 to 1000MHz Slot A. Includes more than 80 soundcards and a growing Wavetable Recording section with more than 300 recordings.

Reply 5 of 21, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

That's what I'm thinking... maybe a TNT2 pro ro a Geforce 256 with SDRAM or SGRAM? Never seen a vintage AGP 4x card with that many memory chips before...

Frankly I was hoping it was a G400 MAX...

Yes, GF 256 SDRAM is also possible. SGRAM modules look different, they are more square-like with data pins on all four sides. As far as I know, there are no SDR SGRAM-based GF 256. On the other hand DDR SGRAM is very common for GF 256 DDR and also some GF2 GTS/PRO... but that's definitely not the VGA on your photo.

G400 Max should be using active cooling... so unless someone replaced the heatsink, this card is regular G400.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 6 of 21, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the heatsink on the graphics card have spring clips holding it on? it looks like it from the picture, if it is why not take it off and see if the chip has anything printed on it.

Reply 8 of 21, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Alright, I've got a couple for ya...

SBclone.jpg
Filename
SBclone.jpg
File size
557.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Any one know this one? Which Sound Blaster is this a clone of? A SB 2.0 or a SB Pro?

ESS.jpg
Filename
ESS.jpg
File size
553.48 KiB
Views
File license

I couldn't find a pic on the net of an ESS card that looked like this one so thought it might be a clone. So which model ESS is it or which is it a clone of?

Reply 10 of 21, by jjsimpso

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to identify the MB in this PC. It has a SiS chipset, definitely a SiS 5595 southbridge. It is a slot 1 with a PIII 450 installed. It has integrated graphics, so I think that means it is a 620/5595, but I'm not 100% sure on the 620.

I can disconnect some cabling if needed, but I think the pictures show enough. The ribbon cables are hiding two ide and one floppy connector as well as two dimm slots in case it isn't clear.

I didn't find any hits on the "6S2M1" silkscreen text.

I appreciate any help!

sismb1.jpg
Filename
sismb1.jpg
File size
642.01 KiB
Views
File license
sismb2.jpg
Filename
sismb2.jpg
File size
576.06 KiB
Views
File license
sismb3.jpg
Filename
sismb3.jpg
File size
462.69 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11 of 21, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jjsimpso wrote:
I'm trying to identify the MB in this PC. It has a SiS chipset, definitely a SiS 5595 southbridge. It is a slot 1 with a PIII 45 […]
Show full quote

I'm trying to identify the MB in this PC. It has a SiS chipset, definitely a SiS 5595 southbridge. It is a slot 1 with a PIII 450 installed. It has integrated graphics, so I think that means it is a 620/5595, but I'm not 100% sure on the 620.

I can disconnect some cabling if needed, but I think the pictures show enough. The ribbon cables are hiding two ide and one floppy connector as well as two dimm slots in case it isn't clear.

I didn't find any hits on the "6S2M1" silkscreen text.

I appreciate any help!

A search brought up Fordlian Red Fox 6S2M1, the chipset is (as you guessed) SiS 620 + SiS 5595. (The maker is Fordlian and the brand is Red Fox.)

Here are the BIOS and manual.

Filename
Redfox_6S2M1.rar
File size
1.1 MiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File license

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 14 of 21, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Relais indicate either a ADC/DAC capture card or a modem with an unusual connector.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 15 of 21, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There is no circuit on there for a modem or a capture device. Rather it could be a LCD interface.
Maybe the company could give some info...

http://www.data-modul.com/

About unknown PCI+ VGA cards: Just fire them up and read the PCI ID? Or even more simple, fire up a Lubuntu on a stick and check the system profiler.

1+1=10

Reply 18 of 21, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

Anyone recognizes this IBM laptop?

This is the only picture and I guess it's around 1992.

How can you not identify a laptop?
wait, is this NOT something you own?

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 21, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:
How can you not identify a laptop? ... wait, is this NOT something you own? […]
Show full quote
kixs wrote:

Anyone recognizes this IBM laptop?

This is the only picture and I guess it's around 1992.

How can you not identify a laptop?
wait, is this NOT something you own?

Im guessing this is something he used to own. Not unreasonable of him to ask. Theres an old PIII Gateway with Windows ME i used to own that i would go through hell and highwater to know the model of.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction