VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2 for DirectX 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 2120 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Firtasik wrote:
Omikron: The Nomad Soul […]
Show full quote

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

The main menu logo is not fully transparent (?):

6AAOijj.png?1

vs

30893-omikron-the-nomad-soul-windows-screenshot-main-menu.jpg
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/omikron … meShotId,30893/

I get the same natively (which is probably wrong). When examining why is that I found it's not a dgVoodoo bug because the game feeds dgVoodoo with a mismatching bitmap/colorkey pair.
The bitmap is a result of GDI operations, so... maybe a slight GDI incompatibility between different Windows versions?

Reply 2122 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for all for the reports!!

I've fixed some things since the last WIP (not much though, I think):

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP23.zip

I didn't have much spare time in recent week(s), and unfortunately presumably will not either have next days/weeks,
so in spite of known issues, I release it as a new official version after I finish my testings and no any regression bug is found. 😖

Reply 2123 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still suggest you to avoid using a packer. You're using MPRESS, but it always detected by some antivirus software as suspicious.
2016-05-28-09-21-58-d139b9f3.png
Any packer itself is a useless thing. Just use 7-zip for distributing your files and the result will be even better than using exe/dll packer + zip.

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 2124 of 3949, by Bakhtosh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried the game The Mystery of the Druids. There's an old version that also has a demo. And the special edition.

The old version doesn't start with 2.51 and WIP23 but gives you the error message:
Error in module sprites[]
-> Direct3D init failed. Code: (80040154)

The special edition with the Vista patch applied (like the Steam version) is playable, but every time you click at the floor or a door to let the character move you get the error message:
Error in module depthbuffer[]
-> GetPixelDepth failed. Code: (80070057)
After confirming the message you can continue to play though.

I tried to change the options dgVoodoo has, but the behaviour didn't change.

Sidenote: Since a few days (probably a certain update to Avira Anti-Virus) I have to enter the dll's as exceptions in Aviras Realtime Scanner configuration to be able use dgVoodoo.

Reply 2126 of 3949, by greasy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey fellas.

Wanted to report this to you guys.First I wanna say this project is incredible.Thanks Dege! 😊

R6 Rogue Spear(version 2.05 running on Win10 x64) doesn't run correctly with dgvoodoo 2.51 and wip23.The font gets super weird and the game doesn't load the surface(?) only the background textures.Worth mention the game is only playable if you go into register and set fullscreen to false and some others compatibility fixes through the main exe.

With that in mind

Ex6VRAA.png
Font gets super weird using dgvoodoowip23 or 2.51

T7NPZHX.png
Font is okay without dgvoodoowip23 and renders the objects, players etc ingame.

2zhnKGI.png
ingame with dgvoodoowip23

--Kinda off topic--
But what this guy said at http://superuser.com/a/881230/599039 can be reproduced through something like dgvoodoo or DDrawCompat?

Reply 2128 of 3949, by mudlord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VEG wrote:

Any packer itself is a useless thing. Just use 7-zip for distributing your files and the result will be even better than using exe/dll packer + zip.

Might as well use UPX on max compression. At least that is easily depacked by AVs.
I coded my own exe packer for fun though, so I don't think all packers are useless....maybe I am just biased.

Reply 2129 of 3949, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Problem with Severance: Blade of Darkness!

This wrapper is *essantial* to play but with "Stretched with AR" the game hangs/freezes during the intro videos (not the prologue one, the Codemaster one).
With "unspecified" or "centered" no problem at all!

Forced resolution is working but 1440x1080 (to preserve 4:3) it's too much performance-bashing :p

Reply 2130 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VEG wrote:
I still suggest you to avoid using a packer. You're using MPRESS, but it always detected by some antivirus software as suspiciou […]
Show full quote

I still suggest you to avoid using a packer. You're using MPRESS, but it always detected by some antivirus software as suspicious.
2016-05-28-09-21-58-d139b9f3.png

Not only the presence of packing is the problem (but, for some AVs it is. Being MPressed is a sin itself). For example, Sophos deletes dgVoodooSetup at once when it gets linked and identifies it as an Trojan-xxx-something. It's not even compressed at that point. If I'd like to suit the sake of AVs, my only way would be compiling the usual bloatware requiring MSVC**.DLL's, without packing of course... 🙁
Why I don't like linking to standard CRT libraries? Because, if you switch to a new version of Visual Studio then you have to supply the new version of the CRT dlls along with your program until they won't be part of the OS. It's not a problem for huge applications like Photosop or something with an installer, but a few tiny dll's with 2-3 MB of CRT dlls which should be copied to... where? Or the user should install a 'vcredistxxx' package. Just because I use 2-3 functions from them. Lot of 3rd party Winamp plugins were rejected by the core developers because the submitter forgot to include the CRT dlls needed by his plugin and it didn't run. Sure, it ran on the machine of the developer but not on another. 😁

(It's interesting, but are AVs 'certified' in some way? Or, even I could write an AV tomorrow that puts 90% of the executables to quarantine on the harddrive, claiming that all of them are malware and everyone should beleive it? These AV softwares sometimes do needless harm by deleting files on my HD. 😵 AV is the malware itself.)
Anyway, I'll examine other packers to see what can be done.

Bakhtosh wrote:
Tried the game The Mystery of the Druids. There's an old version that also has a demo. And the special edition. […]
Show full quote

Tried the game The Mystery of the Druids. There's an old version that also has a demo. And the special edition.

The old version doesn't start with 2.51 and WIP23 but gives you the error message:
Error in module sprites[]
-> Direct3D init failed. Code: (80040154)

The special edition with the Vista patch applied (like the Steam version) is playable, but every time you click at the floor or a door to let the character move you get the error message:
Error in module depthbuffer[]
-> GetPixelDepth failed. Code: (80070057)
After confirming the message you can continue to play though.

I tried to change the options dgVoodoo has, but the behaviour didn't change.

Sidenote: Since a few days (probably a certain update to Avira Anti-Virus) I have to enter the dll's as exceptions in Aviras Realtime Scanner configuration to be able use dgVoodoo.

This fail is not a D3D one, in spite of the error message. The game tries to instantiate a DirectShow .x file and this service is not available in Vista and up for some reason. I tried the Vista patch on the original game but it didn't work.

greasy wrote:
Hey fellas. […]
Show full quote

Hey fellas.

Wanted to report this to you guys.First I wanna say this project is incredible.Thanks Dege! 😊

R6 Rogue Spear(version 2.05 running on Win10 x64) doesn't run correctly with dgvoodoo 2.51 and wip23.The font gets super weird and the game doesn't load the surface(?) only the background textures.Worth mention the game is only playable if you go into register and set fullscreen to false and some others compatibility fixes through the main exe.

With that in mind

Ex6VRAA.png
Font gets super weird using dgvoodoowip23 or 2.51

T7NPZHX.png
Font is okay without dgvoodoowip23 and renders the objects, players etc ingame.

2zhnKGI.png
ingame with dgvoodoowip23

--Kinda off topic--
But what this guy said at http://superuser.com/a/881230/599039 can be reproduced through something like dgvoodoo or DDrawCompat?

Couldn't yet install this game but would be nice to fix.

Guys, thx for the reports, those game are on the list.

lowenz wrote:

Bilinear Blit Stretch is limited to D3D1-7 in this (and future) version too?

Blitting is only available in DirectDraw.

lowenz wrote:
Problem with Severance: Blade of Darkness! […]
Show full quote

Problem with Severance: Blade of Darkness!

This wrapper is *essantial* to play but with "Stretched with AR" the game hangs/freezes during the intro videos (not the prologue one, the Codemaster one).
With "unspecified" or "centered" no problem at all!

Forced resolution is working but 1440x1080 (to preserve 4:3) it's too much performance-bashing :p

Yes, I know. That deadlock comes from the way DXGI works which isn't compliant to DirectShow. It's a general problem which I'd like to address in subsequent wrapper versions.
This game can be played however with option 'Disable Alt-Enter...' disabled (previous versions didn't hook DShow).
What's the difference between the two and why couldn't it then be used in general? It's deep in the ways the wrapper work. I don't want to 'fix' it in this version because then I risk breaking other games. And,

Today I finished quick testing of ~250 DX games and ~140 DX scene demos and made only a minor change in the wrapper meantime. I'm going to release it.

Reply 2133 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

250?! 😐 That's a solid testbed.

+DX7 and DX8 SDK example apps.
Of course not everything is fine and perfect, I appended "some" things to my bug testtrack.

MaLDo wrote:

Hi. Dege, thank you very much. dgVoodoo 2 is a must in my pc to enjoy old gems.

Do you plan to take a look at problems with Virtua Fighter PC? Just tested with WIP23 and crashed as always. Thank you!!

Yes, this game is in my test-base, but now I cannot remember if it seemed to fixable or hopeless (there are some hopeless games like Bug).

Reply 2134 of 3949, by MaLDo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MaLDo wrote:

Do you plan to take a look at problems with Virtua Fighter PC? Just tested with WIP23 and crashed as always. Thank you!!

Dege wrote:

Yes, this game is in my test-base, but now I cannot remember if it seemed to fixable or hopeless (there are some hopeless games like Bug).

Thanks. Virtua Fighter PC is still the best way to play first Virtua Fighter in a PC. VF1 mame emulation is not complete. VF1 using saturn emulation is not perfect. Only VF 10th anniversary using PCSX2 is fine but is not the same game (VF4 engine).

At the moment I have to use a lot of workarounds to play VFPC (Xpadder, _inmm audio, WinCDEmu, autohotkey and 1/2vsync in NvidiaInspector to fix too fast framerate here and there). But Sarah stage has performance problems (I think because floor light). I am sure those performance problems will be fixed using your dgVoodoo, plus new resolutions and AA modes 😉

Reply 2137 of 3949, by MaLDo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lowenz wrote:
MaLDo wrote:

MalDo....THAT Crysis 2 MalDo?

Yes . I recently did a Rayman 3 (N64) texture mod too 😜

Reply 2138 of 3949, by VEG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Why I don't like linking to standard CRT libraries? Because, if you switch to a new version of Visual Studio then you have to supply the new version of the CRT dlls along with your program until they won't be part of the OS.

In many cases it is possible to use msvcrt.dll (it is preinstalled even in Windows XP) at least in the VS2013 Community. Windows 7 DDK has *.lib files for it, and they can be used in general applications also (but it needs to disable some compiler features). It seems that these libs are not compatible with VS2015 toolset, but they work nice in VS2010 and VS2013. I'm using it sometimes for my "up to 30kb" utilities. But it is not the case of the dgVoodoo, it is noticeably bigger, so maybe it is better to use just statically linked CRT, and these additional 60kb (per EXE/DLL) of statically linked CRT isn't a problem 😀

Best regards, Evgeny

Reply 2139 of 3949, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
VEG wrote:
Dege wrote:

Why I don't like linking to standard CRT libraries? Because, if you switch to a new version of Visual Studio then you have to supply the new version of the CRT dlls along with your program until they won't be part of the OS.

In many cases it is possible to use msvcrt.dll (it is preinstalled even in Windows XP) at least in the VS2013 Community. Windows 7 DDK has *.lib files for it, and they can be used in general applications also (but it needs to disable some compiler features). It seems that these libs are not compatible with VS2015 toolset, but they work nice in VS2010 and VS2013. I'm using it sometimes for my "up to 30kb" utilities. But it is not the case of the dgVoodoo, it is noticeably bigger, so maybe it is better to use just statically linked CRT, and these additional 60kb (per EXE/DLL) of statically linked CRT isn't a problem 😀

That's why I use an own CRT. 😁
That one isn't fully compatible with the full compiler feature set either, but disabling needless ones like generating code for C++ exepction handling and such solves the problem.

----

Outlaws: I cannot see any difference between the behavior of 2.51 and the current version.
If 'Disabling Alt-Enter...' option is disabled then the game switches to windowed mode at startup and every time when jumping between DDraw/D3D. If that options is enabled then the game only seems to run in fullscreen, it's a kind of borderless fullscreen instead.
It's a DXGI issue again, I'd like to address the following ones:

- DXGI causing deadlock in some situations (new-style behavior that wasn't present in old DX)
- DXGI forcing the app into windowed mode because the app window is resized after it gained fullscreen state (new-style behavior that wasn't present in old DX), (e.g. Splinter Cell 1),
- DXGI forcing the app into windowed mode because another window(s) is put on top of the game window in the z-order (this one can only be cured by borderless fullscreen) (e.g. Diablo1, O2Jam)