VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

Good card for 1600x1200 with old games. CPU will get the job done.

Listen to this man, for he is wise. I use an FX 5900 on my Tualatin 1.4GHz and regularly play older games (a.k.a. <2001 games) at 1600x1200 with some nice AA when applicable. In general, I like to pair slower CPUs with faster GPUs, since you are much more likely to run into GPU bound situations anyway.
But, to answer your question, yes the FX 5900 XT will be bottlenecked by the Pentium 4 1.6. Something like a Northwood 2.4-3.0GHz will allow it to flex its muscles (as much as the FX can anyway 🤣 ). I prefer to use something like a 6800GT for those faster frequencies though 😀.

Reply 21 of 22, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Will 84 dB-sensitive Kvart & Bolge loudspeakers, driven by 5 watt Yaqin tube amp, be sufficient for my listening room? Will a Voodoo5 5500 suitable for my non-GLide games? Will a GeForce FX 5900XT have a bottleneck with a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4? Well, just like almost every other thing in life, it depends. A GeForce FX 5900XT will not have a bottleneck with a 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 if your goal is playing early 3D games with maximized AA and AF, especially games like Crimson Skies which run too fast on fast CPU when there aren't many textures on the screen.

One of my laptops has 2.4 GHz Intel CPU and GeForce 310M GPU, which is probably the reverse of your situation: too fast CPU and too slow GPU. Crimson Skies is probably the worst example; in texture-rich environment, the game runs rather choppy due to the weak GPU. But in scarcely textured environment (like night mission, or foggy mission), the roll rate of your aircraft becomes too fast due to the fast CPU.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 22, by ENunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Putas wrote:
ENunn wrote:

Will X have a bottleneck with a Y or vice-versa?

These questions are meaningless when we don't know what you will do with it.

Oh crap, my bad dude. Didn't think about it. I had this computer since I was little. I upgraded the graphics card late last year. I've been doing gaming on it for years but it was kinda slow on some games. That's pretty much the purpose of this thing.

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I remember looking up online for a processor upgrade and someone said that a 2 GHz p4 is the highest it can go. Is that true?

the