VOGONS

AMD Athlon WinXP Upgrade Advice

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 123, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is a lot of caps. I would replace the ones that are exposed to heat (and high freq vrm stuff) and leave the very small ones alone (below 470uF). Those are not really stressed and will rarely fail. It's a lot of work as it is (the desoldering and cleaning of holes is 80% and must be done with care) so why double the effort...

Reply 101 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

That's what I'm thinking. The last time this happened, it was a USB 2.0 PCI card that made my ASUS P2B refuse to POST in the exact same way, but that PCI card works perfect fine in THIS Abit KX7-333 motherboard. I think maybe the card was made for an 8x only AGP slot, even though it has the AGP 4x 1.5v notch in the card. And I don't actually have any other MB that has an AGP slot to test the card in other than an AGP 2x slot on the ASUS P2B...so I have no way to test the card myself. The fan on it spins. I know that much.

Perhaps it's because the GPU chip is designed for the PCI-Express bus (It even says PCI-Express on the chip itself when I cleaned off the thermal paste during the breakdown and clean). It probably has a PCI-E to AGP converter chip somewhere on the board to allow it to use the AGP bus...but wouldn't that also limit it to AGP 8x operations?

It may be that I'll need to flip the card on E-bay, reclaim most of my money, and try an ACTUAL AGP 8x/4x native card, such as the original 9800xt I originally wanted (but people price-gouge on). Hell, in THEORY, maybe I could make a slight profit off if THIS card in order to ease the purchase of the other one?

It's very possible it is to do with the bridge chip, but it won't really help solving this problem. Best bet is to indeed get another card (perhaps be patient and spend time on another project till something good comes up?).

If you really want the card itself (the X700 you purchased), do you think it's worth the trouble to sell it just so you end up with nothing?
But in the end it's your decision.

Btw, you don't have a single AGP 8x board? I don't want to tell you to do things in a way that's not your way, but one of the benefits of having a more extensive collection of parts, is that when it comes to building rigs, some things are simply not made to match.

I've had strange compatibility issues many many times, stuff that won't work (even though it should) or keeps giving problems that seem impossible to solve. At some point it just seems easier to simply swap it for something else and be done with it.

I'm not sure how good the Radeon X700 series is (never even seen one in the flesh I think?), but s754 and s939 are great AGP platforms.

Personally I would keep the card (unless you can actually make a profit, as you already mentioned). I would not sell it at a loss though as it would leave me with time and effort spend and nothing else in return.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 102 of 123, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is stated on wiki (wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port).

Mark Allen of Playtools.com made the following comments regarding Practical AGP Compatibility for AGP 3.0 and AGP 2.0:
...."Every single video card I could find which claimed to be an AGP 3.0 card was actually a universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 card. And every motherboard which claimed to be an AGP 3.0 motherboard turned out to be a universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 motherboard."....

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 103 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
melbar wrote:

This is stated on wiki (wiki/Accelerated_Graphics_Port).

Mark Allen of Playtools.com made the following comments regarding Practical AGP Compatibility for AGP 3.0 and AGP 2.0:
...."Every single video card I could find which claimed to be an AGP 3.0 card was actually a universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 card. And every motherboard which claimed to be an AGP 3.0 motherboard turned out to be a universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 motherboard."....

I've actually read that exact same thing on that wiki page, but personally I wouldn't put full faith in it (don't rule out it is wrong. Wiki stated Cyrix 5x86 133 was only a rumored chip even though we've known about the existence of this chip for years).

Though..another possibility could be that the graphics card is damaged? Could happen during the clean up but also happens during shipping (but most of the time the previous owner was an idiot).

FFXIhealer, did you spot any anomalies on your graphics card while you were doing the clean-up? Anything out of the ordinary that you may have overlooked?

Report spammers here!

Reply 104 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nope. The card just had a bunch of dust caked on the edges of the heatsinks and beneath the fan on the copper base.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 105 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my MB back and a new CPU heatsink by Evercool.

DSC00694.JPG
Filename
DSC00694.JPG
File size
4.02 MiB
Views
File comment
Side view of Socket A coolers
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC00695.JPG
Filename
DSC00695.JPG
File size
3.97 MiB
Views
File comment
Top view of Socket A coolers
File license

Bigger cooler, copper base, bigger fan, what's not to like?

The fact that the system STILL refuses to POST with the Radeon X700 Pro installed. It's definitely not a cap problem, boys. NO beep codes at all. If I pull the card out, it gives me a "no VGA" beep code. Put the 9550xl back in, boots just fine. I even went into the BIOS to disable AGP Fast Write and change the memory size or whatever it was from 64M to 256M and still nothing. I had to end up clearing CMOS to get the thing to boot correctly again, but I got it up.

I'm thinking it's a problem with the X700 Pro chip being a PCI-Express chip and having to go through an AGP bridge adapter for it to work on an AGP slot. I haven't heard anything, but I want to say here and now that it absolutely will not work on anything less than AGP 3.0 (8x and 0.8v signal level). The MB I have only supports AGP 2.0 specs (4x and 1.5v signal level).

Oh well, back to Ebay it is. That, and I get to find out how hard it is to sell one of these cards (the X700) without verifying that the card actually works first.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 106 of 123, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm..... i had a x700pro a few weeks back that didn't post and looked fine. Maybe you're right and it really needs a newer mobo? I tried it on a p2b i think (use different testboards so don't remember which i used).

Will have to see if i still have the card or if i already dumped it, if i still have it i will test again.

Edit: nope, just checked but it is gone. I never wait long before i throw away broken parts. Maybe too soon this time? Oh well, will not miss it..

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 107 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If by P2B you are referring to an ASUS P2B, then I have that same MB and it only has an AGP 1x/2x slot - it CERTAINLY won't run an X700 no matter how you try. 2x uses a 3v signal strength, if I'm not mistaken. That MB runs a Windows 98 system with a Pentium III, a RIVA TNT2 32MB AGP card and two Voodoo2 cards in SLI. But I'm running out of good Glide games to throw on it. AND that system has its own thread on this board.

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 108 of 123, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:

If by P2B you are referring to an ASUS P2B, then I have that same MB and it only has an AGP 1x/2x slot - it CERTAINLY won't run an X700 no matter how you try. 2x uses a 3v signal strength, if I'm not mistaken. That MB runs a Windows 98 system with a Pentium III, a RIVA TNT2 32MB AGP card and two Voodoo2 cards in SLI. But I'm running out of good Glide games to throw on it. AND that system has its own thread on this board.

I'm surprised the X700 would actually fit into the AGP slot of that P2B?

Report spammers here!

Reply 109 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

UPDATE

So a few days ago I gave an offer to an E-Bay seller for an ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP card and was accepted. The card came in today and I JUST took it out of the box and installed it.

The Good News: The system posted (single beep) and began booting into Windows XP (I could tell by HDD sounds and HDD light going nuts).

The Bad News:

IMG_0124[1].JPG
Filename
IMG_0124[1].JPG
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license

That's all I see, even during POST. I tried two different monitors...but it made no difference. So I just now tried a DVI monitor (one from my modern PC) and I got the same thing using a known-good DVI cable:

IMG_0125[1].JPG
Filename
IMG_0125[1].JPG
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

I think the card is either hosed or just not going to work on this MB. I'm getting annoyed. This is now the 2nd video card "buy" and failure. And I have no other 8x AGP systems to test them on, so I have no idea if the card is ACTUALLY hosed or just not playing nice with my MB. Other people on-line (from a decade ago) have claimed that this card worked fine on THEIR Abit KX7 motherboards. Think it's just this particular card?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 110 of 123, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Card is probably dead. It's a good idea to test it on another motherboard and with a strong power supply to make sure, but chances are it's dead.

Reply 111 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:

It's a good idea to test it on another motherboard and with a strong power supply...

Um.... a Cooler Master 500Watt PSU isn't powerful enough? Seriously? The thing already has a 6-pin PCI-Express power cable coiled up and stuffed up above the DVD-ROM drive in the case. I doubt I need more power. It's gotta be the chip.

I don't think I have the balls to bake the card, but if the seller refunds, say, half my money back in order to just be rid of it....then I might try it. If it's already dead, then what harm could it do, right?

And if baking it does, in fact, work...then maybe I could try baking my EVGA GTX 480 card that went bad...

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 112 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, having just seen Phil's Computer Lab video of Athlon systems and the 5v rail (SEEN HERE), I decided to give you guys the PSU information. I JUST tried that x700 GPU in the system with EVERYTHING unplugged except one stick of DDR-400 RAM. That means I unplugged the HDD, Zip drive, DVD-RW drive, both intake and exhaust fans, and even pulled 1 of my RAM sticks, the sound card, USB card, and network card. What we are left with is JUST the Abit KX7-333 motherboard, the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton CPU, 1GB of DDR-400 (single stick), and the ATI Radeon x700 AGP card. It failed to POST with all three PSUs. Here they are for you to look at.

Cooler Master 500-watt

CMPSU.jpg
Filename
CMPSU.jpg
File size
200.59 KiB
Views
File license

An older PSU that used to run the Athlon XP system back in 2003 - plan to use it on my P54c 200MHz Retro gaming system

OlderPSU.jpg
Filename
OlderPSU.jpg
File size
121.1 KiB
Views
File license

My 2010 Kingwin 1000-watt PSU that powered my GTX 480 SLI rig on an i7-860 for 6 years

Kingwin.jpg
Filename
Kingwin.jpg
File size
144.01 KiB
Views
File license

Looks like I have 125 watts available on the +5v rail for both the Cooler Master and the older PSU, and a whopping 150 watts on the Kingwin PSU. I'm not counting the extra 25 Watts on the +5VSB there, because I don't know what that is.

Anyone thing I'm not feeding the system enough power to run the x700 with this? Phil?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 115 of 123, by FFXIhealer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Sometimes certain parts don't work together. I would just move on.

Is it weird that when I read that, I read it in your voice from your YouTube videos?

292dps.png
3smzsb.png
0fvil8.png
lhbar1.png

Reply 116 of 123, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Sometimes certain parts don't work together. I would just move on.

Is it weird that when I read that, I read it in your voice from your YouTube videos?

🤣 That's funny.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 117 of 123, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is pretty surprising if it's a PSU issue after trying those three. The load could just be too lopsided and that's why they fail to balance their voltages to spec(?), but it's probably something else in the system.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 119 of 123, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FFXIhealer wrote:
UPDATE […]
Show full quote

UPDATE

So a few days ago I gave an offer to an E-Bay seller for an ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB AGP card and was accepted. The card came in today and I JUST took it out of the box and installed it.

The Good News: The system posted (single beep) and began booting into Windows XP (I could tell by HDD sounds and HDD light going nuts).

The Bad News:

IMG_0124[1].JPG

That's all I see, even during POST. I tried two different monitors...but it made no difference. So I just now tried a DVI monitor (one from my modern PC) and I got the same thing using a known-good DVI cable:

IMG_0125[1].JPG

I think the card is either hosed or just not going to work on this MB. I'm getting annoyed. This is now the 2nd video card "buy" and failure. And I have no other 8x AGP systems to test them on, so I have no idea if the card is ACTUALLY hosed or just not playing nice with my MB. Other people on-line (from a decade ago) have claimed that this card worked fine on THEIR Abit KX7 motherboards. Think it's just this particular card?

Have you tried the vga out?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.